• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Good info Dieworkwear.

To his question, I believe it is synthetic and has the benefit of being more stain resistant.

Davesmith, those bags look great. You always manage to carry nice things.

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Basically. It's also a bit lighter weight and UV resistant than actual suede, from what I understand. I've used it in some custom leather folios and eyewear sleeves and really like it.

You also sometimes see jackets made out of Alcantara.

Good info Dieworkwear.

To his question, I believe it is synthetic and has the benefit of being more stain resistant.

Davesmith, those bags look great. You always manage to carry nice things.

Thank you both for the info. I'm use to hearing this term in relation to automobiles.

poetman

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm hoping you all could provide some feedback on these two briefs attached. Do you think one is nicer--or more formal--than the other? Do you think they're equivalent in formality. Some days I prefer the chocolate, finding it more formal, but other days I like the lighter brown, as it matches my shoes, and I like the clasp a lot. Any reactions would be MUCH appreciated!!!
Thank you!!!

[/IMG]

Reaction score
Hi all:

I was hoping to get advice on my first real briefcase. I am a young attorney who should be starting a job in a firm this fall. This past year, I've been clerking for a judge and have just used my state-issued laptop bag that came with my state-issued laptop. I've always believed in the idea that it's worth spending more for quality when it will be able to last for a long time and that's what I want to do here.My budget is around $1,000, perhaps a little more. I'm currently looking at Ray Clark's Grantchester, Frank Clegg's Bags, or perhaps something bespoke by Hrothgar Stibbon. One concern I have, that perhaps people in the legal field on here would be able with, is a question of what depth for the case I should get. It seems like 4" is standard, but I'm not sure that's quite enough. Any advice as to color would be helpful as well. The law is a fairly conservative field and I don't want to seem too informal by my choice in leather color. Thanks!

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These pics are from when the case was new. I should take some more now that it has some miles on it.

It's a bespoke Simon Baker case in Light Havana Sedgwick leather.

Last edited:

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi all: 

I was hoping to get advice on my first real briefcase. I am a young attorney who should be starting a job in a firm this fall. This past year, I've been clerking for a judge and have just used my state-issued laptop bag that came with my state-issued laptop. I've always believed in the idea that it's worth spending more for quality when it will be able to last for a long time and that's what I want to do here.My budget is around $1,000, perhaps a little more. I'm currently looking at Ray Clark's Grantchester, Frank Clegg's Bags, or perhaps something bespoke by Hrothgar Stibbon. One concern I have, that perhaps people in the legal field on here would be able with, is a question of what depth for the case I should get. It seems like 4" is standard, but I'm not sure that's quite enough. Any advice as to color would be helpful as well. The law is a fairly conservative field and I don't want to seem too informal by my choice in leather color. Thanks!

I can say from first hand experience that Clark's Grantchester is a great briefcase.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

These pics are from when the case was new. I should take some more now that it has some miles on it.

Looks great

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Simon does great work. I have a similar one on order with him.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few pages back there was some concern Simon had become uncontactable. Has this changed?

red96

Reaction score
I have been on a long term hunt for a leather work bag that finally concluded with the purchase of this one from Ray Clark. I know his bridle leather cases have gotten some attention on this site, and I had considered buying one a few years ago but decided I wanted something a little less formal. I recently rediscovered his etsy store and found this gorgeous sample bag - marked down to an absurdly low price. It arrived this evening and I am totally in love with it. The quality of the leather, the stitching, the style...well, I've never been more excited about the new work week starting on a Friday night.

If you aren't familiar with Ray's work, I highly recommend you check him out.

Last edited:

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A few pages back there was some concern Simon had become uncontactable. Has this changed?

Simon has never been easy to contact, but he does excellent work. However, be prepared to wait. It takes about 2 years from date of order to delivery.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That can't be right. I'd never place an order for an item like this that I would have to wait that long for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads