• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

Richard elvis

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Greetings from Singapore. I’m new to this forum.
Both Frankclegg zip top double gusset and Equus bridle leather briefcase are gorgeous! Any recommendation?

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those two are a little different in aesthetic and probably quite different in price.

I would suggest the best way forward is to think about what you want to carry on a regular basis (lay it all out). Consider use cases - for example do you need a shoulder strap? And then think about budget and aesthetic given the constraints of what you need to carry and where.

Also reflect on what you have at the moment and what you like and / or dislike about it. In that regard, before spending a substantial sum on a bag it can be worth trying something lower priced with similar characteristics to see if you get on with the style.

CloudLi

Reaction score
Authentic but yes Glenroyal uses a range of materials. This is like the Mulberry Clipper, which is to say that the bag would be substantially heavier and more expensive if made up completely in leather.
Ok, did not expect this. I thought for a high end company like Glenroyal, they would use the best material possible, not to mention PU leather

SDeacon&Son

Reaction score
Awesome! Any direct link to shop/purchase online?

Hi Richard, thank you for your interest! You can check out my website at deaconleather.com and I am on instagram as well @deacon_leather. I do not have any briefcases that are already made and ready to ship, but if you are interested in discussing options on a briefcase with no pressure to commit, feel free to email me at [email protected]. I actually have some really nice solid brass briefcase locks in my workshop right now, which is nice because most of the main lock manufacturers in Europe have shut down again due to increases in the virus. Let me know if you have any questions. Cheers and happy holidays!

Richard elvis

Reaction score
Those two are a little different in aesthetic and probably quite different in price.

I would suggest the best way forward is to think about what you want to carry on a regular basis (lay it all out). Consider use cases - for example do you need a shoulder strap? And then think about budget and aesthetic given the constraints of what you need to carry and where.

Also reflect on what you have at the moment and what you like and / or dislike about it. In that regard, before spending a substantial sum on a bag it can be worth trying something lower priced with similar characteristics to see if you get on with the style.
Thanks, Simon! Yes, I agree with you. Frank zip top seems to be better with formal/business wear.

Ya, preferably with shoulder strap.
lm looking for a briefcase that doesn’t look too mainstream (eg not the Montblanc designs). Probably can go with both formal and casual outfits.

Leander walker

Reaction score
Regarding Glenroyal,I own two of their business cases,both purchased over 10 years ago. They are high quality,made of beautiful bridle leather,made in Scotland and look like any of the top cases made in England. As far as comparing Equus and Frank Clegg,I've never seen a Clegg case in person but people speak well of them. I have seen Equus and it is in the top rung of quality cases made in the UK. Exquisite bridle leather,durable British made hardware,and very traditional designs. Ettinger and Swaine Adeney are two other UK brands that make top of the line traditional bridle leather briefcases. Can't go wrong with any of them

Richard elvis

Reaction score
Regarding Glenroyal,I own two of their business cases,both purchased over 10 years ago. They are high quality,made of beautiful bridle leather,made in Scotland and look like any of the top cases made in England. As far as comparing Equus and Frank Clegg,I've never seen a Clegg case in person but people speak well of them. I have seen Equus and it is in the top rung of quality cases made in the UK. Exquisite bridle leather,durable British made hardware,and very traditional designs. Ettinger and Swaine Adeney are two other UK brands that make top of the line traditional bridle leather briefcases. Can't go wrong with any of them

Ah, I see.. Too many options to choose. Bridle leather, full grain leather, etc.
The “standard size 17”” wide briefcase is kinda oversize for Asian guy - to note, if any briefcase maker here is keen to target Asia market

Leander walker

Reaction score
If you're interested in English made cases,some of them offer smaller sizes. Ettinger certainly does. They offer both all attaches and briefcases in beautiful bridle leather. I find that many European companies only offer briefcases from 14' to 15 in length,because they assume most of their male customers are small in stature. Im 6'3 and I getad at companies like Louis Vuitton who assume all their male customers are hip hopperswho want tons of logos,or very small men

Richard elvis

Reaction score
Thanks so much! Oh boy, there’s a retailer that carries Ettinger products here in Singapore. Just curious, if you have a bridle leather briefcase as well? I wonder if London tan will be too bright/loud for daily use?
LV epi leather is really durable tho, but the rest... trying too hard to get attention.

Leander walker

Reaction score
As far as bridle leather briefcases made in the UK,London tan has always been the best seller there. Black is the worst selling color,which might surprise many because it is so popular in the US. The dark brown is alsop r a nice choice. London tan will develop a lovely patina over the years,but will show scratches,stains and will darken quite a bit. That bothers some people,and if you would be among them,go with the darker brown. Otherwise,London tan is a wonderful and traditional choice. Regarding LV epi,it is a waterproof leather that the rain will roll right off. Also doesn't show scratches as much as others. Problem is,LV has a new mens designer who now makes everything with the urban youth in mind. Garrish designs that firmly turn their back on the legacy of LV. The briefcases have been shrunk in size to either 14 or 15 inches as they have appearantlg determined that the only gentlemen who want a business case are wispy in stature. There are still a few styles in the range that are quite nice and made of leather and not festooned with logos. And unlike many other brands,they never have a sale,so you don't kick yourself for buying at full price and then see it at 40 percent off shortly after

CloudLi

Reaction score
I bought Glenroyal new old stock duffle bag from eBay. Pretty surprised it’s not made by real leather. Kinda disappointed such a high end brand would use PU leather

JunyangNg

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know if anything has happened to Frank Clegg? I'd placed an order, and I've been trying to contact them for more than two weeks (emails, Website chatbox, phone), all to no avail. Getting concerned here..

ThomGault

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know if anything has happened to Frank Clegg? I'd placed an order, and I've been trying to contact them for more than two weeks (emails, Website chatbox, phone), all to no avail. Getting concerned here..
During autumn, they moved to a new facility, and the communication/work was slow. However, its my understanding that any in-stock items were still shipping out on time.

JunyangNg

Reaction score
During autumn, they moved to a new facility, and the communication/work was slow. However, its my understanding that any in-stock items were still shipping out on time.

Thanks for your reply! It is quite unfathomable for me that a business would be uncontactable for 3 weeks though. They have been updating their Facebook page, but did not reply me there either. I placed an order, which was shown to be in-stock, but I have heard nothing more from them. Would anyone be able to help? :(

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads