• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

nauticle

Reaction score
Long time lurker in this thread but first time poster. I was interested when I saw my briefcase in one of the earlier posts ~ pg 100 from Mitchell Leather.

I think the burgundy one on this page is actually very close to my briefcase when it was new:

Story:
I got the briefcase as a graduation present in 2010 and I can remember the feeling of getting something that was probably the most expensive thing I owned and was thrilled when I received it.

I have used it almost every day since then and it's held up really well considering it's now over 10 years old. I had to pack it away as I stopped going to the office because of Covid, but I just took it out today to give it a polish and a wax and was surprised by how well it's held up.

The brass could use a bit of a polish and when the briefcase is empty the buckles are a bit floppy now(see photo). It's also developed a patina and has some scratches on it from my daily commuting over various types of transport.

But the handle is still great and the feet have spared the bottom leather from wearing out. I also feel the shoulder strap has held up really well. It balances the bag so well that compared to other bags where the shoulder strap isn’t as rigid has probably saved me from some long term shoulder issues.

I was a little concerned about getting it scratched when I first got it, but after 10 years that is no longer a concern and I don’t mind taking the briefcase with me wherever. The best part is unlike some of the English bridle leather briefcases here this thing is very light, yet still very practical and durable. It also feels very well balanced even when packed.

Another aspect I’ve come to appreciate is the well thought out laptop compartment. I’ve been through several different ones from work and personal both Mac and PCs. It has a Velcro edge piece which means that you can adjust it to keep the laptop tucked in safely regardless of the size. That Velcro has also held up really well. I didn’t appreciate just how timeless and thought out this design was until I had to put it through situations I couldn’t have imagined when I first got it.

This briefcase has been on 4 continents and seen -30 to +45 and hasn’t missed a beat.

Overall the only thing that's worn down a bit is the edging in parts where the briefcase touches the ground or is a high wear area, but it's not actually broken. That part is binded with a piece of leather rather then painted or burnished and though it looks a lot more refined it's the one part that's likely to fail over time.

I've been able to keep most of the scratches to a minimum just with some semi regular polishing with leather conditioner and then different types of waxes and this has kept the leather in really good shape. I think this can easily last another 20 years with good care and a little bit of maintenance.

Attachments

• briefcase1.png
    briefcase1.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 396
  • briefcase2.png
    briefcase2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 385
Last edited:

Phreaka

Reaction score
Long time lurker too. I have an issue with my Hrothgar Stibbon briefcase and wondered if anyone can help: When walking through rain, the leather gets blue spots. They stay until the bag is dry again, and then disappear. (see pictures) Can someone help?

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Frank Clegg doesn’t run a lot of sales but they have their selections of one of a kind bags and leather goods for 25% off. Some nice briefcases are listed.

tidus89

Reaction score
My new custom Henry Tomkins custom briefcase.

Made out of Horween satchel leather, which is a bit softer and thinner than the briefcase leather he usually uses, but has a beautiful finish and I am confident it will age well. To support rigidness and stiffness the briefcase is leather lined at the external panels.

It has two compartments with 50mm and 75mm, a laptop pocket and gusseted pockets made by my measurements.

Added Wraparound straps to give it a slimmer profile when not fully packed.

The leather is still a bit stiff, but feels soft to the touch and has fantastic grain.

Working with Henry was a bliss. I always felt he cared about the project and my requirements. Without his input I would not have ended with such a spectacular briefcase that also fits my needs perfectly.

tempImagerjAWQd.png tempImageIGjsjt.png tempImageY7dzli.png tempImageV5aB7E.png tempImage49JL5F.png tempImageylJzrJ.png tempImageKMIRbp.png tempImagezudDTD.png tempImageYfaIwg.png tempImage4bshHo.png

Leander walker

Reaction score
Glad to see yet another company still producing this wonderful,classic design briefcase. It's really nice looking and sure beats a nylon backpack for business. Nice that these items are still being made and appreciated

CloudLi

Reaction score
Probably not a briefcase, but I am looking for a leather duffle bag. Anyone can share some tips about the brands that are commonly missed on eBay? Looking to spend 500USD for a new leather duffle bag through eBay

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you share a photo or two of a design you like? One brand which often flies under the radar is Tusting, who also made under white label for other brands.

sclemmons

Reaction score
Quoddy, the shoe company, just posted a line of bags. The shoes are great. I would try the bags if I needed one. They look like a great value at well under $500 new. Check them out.

Leander walker

Reaction score
Tusting is as really nice brand that is .are in England and mostly under $500. For many years, a company called Levenger had an exclusive to sell these bags in the United states but now they are available in quite a few stores,or you can order direct from Tusting in the UK. Really nice briefcases for the $

CloudLi

Reaction score
Can you share a photo or two of a design you like? One brand which often flies under the radar is Tusting, who also made under white label for other brands.
Thanks for the recommendation. I like trapezoid shape but more looking for a some brands I do not know yet. I have a Tusting briefcase and another one on the way. Really like it, but never seen its duffle on eBay

CloudLi

Reaction score
Can someone help me identify/explain this tag on a Glenroyal bag? It seems authentic but Glenroyal uses PU leather to make their bags?

1608824260211.png

1608824312926.png

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me identify/explain this tag on a Glenroyal bag? It seems authentic but Glenroyal uses PU leather to make their bags?

Authentic but yes Glenroyal uses a range of materials. This is like the Mulberry Clipper, which is to say that the bag would be substantially heavier and more expensive if made up completely in leather.

Richard elvis

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name is Sam and I am new to the forum. I wanted to share a couple photos of a briefcase that I made last year in my workshop in the United States. I'll try to keep this short, but I am happy to answer any questions if there is interest. The bag is made out of Wickett & Craig English Bridle and it is fully lined with Alran Chèvre goat skin. As mentioned above in the post about the Simon Baker bag (which is gorgeous BTW), goat skin is a great option for lining as it is super durable and scratch resistant, albeit quite expensive. The bag was hand stitched by me with Fil au Chinois thread. Thanks for looking!

View attachment 1380446 View attachment 1380447 View attachment 1380448 View attachment 1380449 View attachment 1380450
Awesome! Any direct link to shop/purchase online?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics