• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

SDeacon&Son

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just received my new SAB Westminster Wrap UK and, while the case itself is lovely, there seems to be quite bad creasing/wrinkling on the piece of leather which forms the accordion holding the gussets together (pics attached).

What do you think? Is this loose grain? It seems pretty bad for being a brand new case and I already had a SAB before, which did not display any of this.

To me it looks more like grain “break”, than loose grain. Loose grain is actually fairly rare and I would be very surprised to hear that SAB missed a giant piece of loose grain and put it into their gussets. Of course it’s difficult to tell definitively through photos.

Leander walker

Reaction score
Surprised about the Swaine Adeney. They usually have better quality control. It will not affect the wear of the briefcase,but if it bothers you they should be able to do something

NickZar

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. Yes, to be fair I expected much better quality control too, especially considering that it cost me well over £2K. I found the pics of a heavily used vintage SAB in the same model online and the gussets still look much better than in my brand new one (see below), so I am going to ask them to replace the gussets altogether. It's just annoying because it'll probably take quite some time and I have already waited for 9 weeks for this case to be made :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_3093.JPG
    IMG_3093.JPG
    627.5 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_3095-2.jpg
    IMG_3095-2.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_3092-2.jpg
    IMG_3092-2.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 400

jnorm15

Reaction score
The Filson 258 computer bag is the workhorse brief I've been looking for. This thing fits a TON of stuff.

TwJVxYX.jpg

Leander walker

Reaction score
The above pictured filson is indeed a durable bag at a low price. For many years filson made a briefcase called the "field satchel" which was bridle leather with an English lock and oy lasted forever. Looked like a Swaine Adeney wrap around buckle briefcase. For some reason it was discontinued. Filson products formerly were completely made in the USA. Now,many,including some briefcases are imported. Thankfully the briefcase pictured in previous post is still American made. It's so hard for these companies to resist the lure of higher profit margins from making things overseas. Filson has a great legacy as an American made company. It's sad that they would endanger it by now importing a range of products

jnorm15

Reaction score
The above pictured filson is indeed a durable bag at a low price. For many years filson made a briefcase called the "field satchel" which was bridle leather with an English lock and oy lasted forever. Looked like a Swaine Adeney wrap around buckle briefcase. For some reason it was discontinued. Filson products formerly were completely made in the USA. Now,many,including some briefcases are imported. Thankfully the briefcase pictured in previous post is still American made. It's so hard for these companies to resist the lure of higher profit margins from making things overseas. Filson has a great legacy as an American made company. It's sad that they would endanger it by now importing a range of products
Well said.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Filson 258 computer bag is the workhorse brief I've been looking for. This thing fits a TON of stuff.

TwJVxYX.jpg

I have the Brooks Brother's navy version of this bag. I use it when traveling (remember traveling?) as it fits so much stuff including a change of clothes for an emergency. I believe mine was USA made but I would have to check.

MontyLo

Reaction score
Tell us the details!
It’s a slightly enlarged version of the made by Nichols folio with grey calfskin and millennium grey matte alligator detailing. I chose to line it in deep purple suede. Will post proper pics ASAP.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found this Faber-Castell briefcase today and quality is great!!! Inside is lined with Alcantara. Much better than Montblanc bags.

View attachment 1409613

View attachment 1409614

I found this same bag at a Turkish luxury store AlwaysFashion.com for 55% off and I placed an order with them. I checked their feedback online and they are legit. They have many customers ordering Omegas, etc from them.

In case if anyone needs one. They also have a 2 compartment version and a duffle bag heavily discounted also.

SmellBlind

Reaction score
I found this same bag at a Turkish luxury store AlwaysFashion.com for 55% off and I placed an order with them. I checked their feedback online and they are legit. They have many customers ordering Omegas, etc from them.

In case if anyone needs one. They also have a 2 compartment version and a duffle bag heavily discounted also.
I saw this bag in person a few months back and was really impressed with the construction and practicality. Great find, its quite close to what I view as the ideal briefcase.

I feel if the bag were more widely available, it would be a hit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads