• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You want Appreciation, I'll give you Appreciation. Here is my Simon Baker bag. When I received it in 2012, I promptly sold my SAB as it just couldn't compare. I think I paid $1,000 up-charge to have the whole thing hand stitched (which Simon did a beautiful job on). He insisted on no zippers or lining as those are the things that fail so I did add a small inner bag of pig skin on a lanyard to keep suff like a wallet or passport from falling out.

Overall, this is the thickest and stiffest bag I have handled. I was hoping for some sun today but its raining cats and dogs so you have to deal with unnatural lighting and pictures snapped from my Moto phone (amateur Appreciation?).

View attachment 1380333 View attachment 1380334 View attachment 1380335 View attachment 1380336 View attachment 1380337 View attachment 1380338 View attachment 1380339 View attachment 1380340 View attachment 1380341 View attachment 1380342 View attachment 1380343 View attachment 1380344 View attachment 1380345 View attachment 1380346 View attachment 1380347
Mine is very similar. The biggest cosmetic difference is that I opted for a scalloped front. Please excuse the crappy iPhone pictures.
1588283732010.jpeg

1588283864307.jpeg
1588283794265.jpeg

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
You want Appreciation, I'll give you Appreciation. Here is my Simon Baker bag. When I received it in 2012, I promptly sold my SAB as it just couldn't compare. I think I paid $1,000 up-charge to have the whole thing hand stitched (which Simon did a beautiful job on). He insisted on no zippers or lining as those are the things that fail so I did add a small inner bag of pig skin on a lanyard to keep suff like a wallet or passport from falling out.

Overall, this is the thickest and stiffest bag I have handled. I was hoping for some sun today but its raining cats and dogs so you have to deal with unnatural lighting and pictures snapped from my Moto phone (amateur Appreciation?).

View attachment 1380333 View attachment 1380334 View attachment 1380335 View attachment 1380336 View attachment 1380337 View attachment 1380338 View attachment 1380339 View attachment 1380340 View attachment 1380341 View attachment 1380342 View attachment 1380343 View attachment 1380344 View attachment 1380345 View attachment 1380346 View attachment 1380347

He did good work. I remember that case at the time it was made I think, its aged well. Sedgwick leather doing what it does!

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I appreciate your insight. If I understand the terminology correctly the hasp and spring are both missing. In other words, there is nothing in the cylinder of the clasp.

The bag is about ten years old but doesn’t get much use as it is small and I only use it when carrying a small file or two. I have a cordovan attache that is normal-sized that I use more often based on my usual paper load. And on more informal occasion, I have a Simon Baker case (more later) that I use.

I live in USA. Any ideas of who may be able to fix this on this side of the pond?

To be honest I dont. If you ask SAB they might be able to point you to someone or have a local team? Over here Im sure they could (should) be able to, and we could also, with the original hardware.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice. Looks a bit darker than mine, I'm assuming from actually being used. Another key difference is two compartments vs. three. What year is yours?
Yep. But I think they’re the same size. I skipped one of the two partitions so that I could stuff a sweater or a bulkier load in the back 2/3 compartment.
Don't remember the exact year but similar in age to yours. I did not opt for the London Tan but rather the Conker (I think) therefore mine probably started out darker than yours. It’s gotten some use but not a ton as my profession usually calls for more formal attachés. I have my out-of-commission SAB and this larger cordovan attaché:

and then I have a larger Glaser trial bag and a bespoke cordovan “not sure the name” made in Colombia for occasional use:

MontyLo

Reaction score
This will be my eventual briefcase from Rory Nichols. I went with grey calf and am employing the gator for the lock tongue, handle, and key fob. I opted for deep purple to line it and also wound up commissioning a card case to match. Hoping to have this within the next month or two.
D51525DD-988E-4306-A448-1A8A6630D615.jpeg
8A407D0B-FB40-462E-9DAB-EAA4EDCE5AD9.jpeg
8AD0F09D-DDEF-4D5B-B982-04B42AB0E67A.jpeg
7F3107A6-B2EF-4747-BE1E-FD15AE31412E.jpeg

MontyLo

Reaction score
That’s exactly why I specced this. I do love the hermes but can’t fathom the pricing.

Reloc8

Reaction score
Just to let people know (especially UK/EU) Henry Tomkins has a nice looking case going for a great price following a return by a client who seems to have changed their mind. He's looking for offers on a simple brown single gusset briefcase.

I have one if his cases and the quality is great. He's also super to deal with.
Screenshot_20200505-185028_Samsung Internet.jpg

Details on his website as per the attachment.

Ian Clegg

Reaction score
Not sure about Glaser going strong, even before the Coronavirus.

Before moving from SF to London last June, I commissioned a platform backpack from Glaser as a going-away souvenir, and visited their new workshop on Pacific Avenue a stone's throw from my old apartment. I had visited their previous one on Folsom Street, which was nice and airy, the new one is dingy and cramped in comparison.

They are the victims of San Francisco's ridiculously overheated commercial property market. Most of their staff live in SF and would not be able to continue working at Glaser if they moved out of the City, plus Myron Glaser and his wife Kari are getting on in years. If you have been sitting on the fence about getting one of their bags, you'd better hurry, it's unclear how long they will survive the gentrification of San Francisco.

They pride themselves on the durability of their bags, many sold to people in the petroleum industry where they have to endure rough handling. They don't have as many leather choices as they used to, but still far more options than most other bag makers because they have their own leatherworking equipment, including hand-tinted leather (expensive!). I got one in natural quebracho-tanned leather. It takes about 6 months to go from the pinkish tan natural color to a warm light brown. One thing they specialize in is tailoring the organizational features and inserts in your bag to your exact specifications, Kari will actually design them in CAD for you.

If you are looking for completely bespoke leather cases for various equipment, I can recommend Stéphane Lemaître at Atelier Subdivise, a French craftsman who only does custom work. His specialty is outdoor goods, so the leather is thicker and the styling more rustic, but the craftsmanship is in the same league as Equus' (they share some traits like saddle-stitching using French linen fil au Chinois). I've had a sunglasses case and this camera holster made by him
Sad to hear, Glaser is a great company.

fazalmajid

Reaction score
They're not gone yet, but clearly not doing as well as they used to, due to San Francisco's insane real estate market.

fazalmajid

Reaction score
He insisted on no zippers or lining as those are the things that fail

I can't stand unlined leather, and in that case I would have asked him to do the lining in leather as well, although of course there would be a severe price to be paid in weight. The goatskin option by Sam sounds great, though I'd get it in hunter green if it were up to me.

Sam: do you have a website or a link for your (impressively tidy) workshop?

SmellBlind

Reaction score
Not Appreciation per se, but does anyone have any experience with Metier London? I'm interested in Le Petit Voyage but am having trouble finding reviews. Also, any recommendations of bags that are a similar style to this one?

le-petit-voyage-atelier-calfskin-black-front-strap-image-2-min_1000x1156.jpg

NickZar

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just received my new SAB Westminster Wrap UK and, while the case itself is lovely, there seems to be quite bad creasing/wrinkling on the piece of leather which forms the accordion holding the gussets together (pics attached).

What do you think? Is this loose grain? It seems pretty bad for being a brand new case and I already had a SAB before, which did not display any of this.

Attachments

• IMG_3083.jpeg
    IMG_3083.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_3082.jpeg
    IMG_3082.jpeg
    493.6 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3081.jpeg
    IMG_3081.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_3078.jpeg
    IMG_3078.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_3085.jpeg
    IMG_3085.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_3084.jpeg
    IMG_3084.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 154

SDeacon&Son

Reaction score
@fazalmajid I apologize, I just now saw that you asked me a question on this thread. At the moment I do not have a website, but am taking this opportunity during lockdown to build one and it should be up and running shortly. I do agree that goatskin lining is a fantastic option and one worth considering for everyone, especially with all the beautiful colors available (including a hunter green). If you would like to send me an email in the mean time, I would be happy to answer any questions [email protected]. I have some beautiful polished brass locks arriving next week that I have been waiting a long time for. If I have broken any rules of this website, I will gladly remove my email. Thank you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads