• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone actually use the Valextra Premier case? I'm thinking about ordering one, but would certainly like to hear a first-hand account first.

Leander walker

Reaction score
Do any members still appreciate the wonderful bridle leather traditional briefcases made in England. I still think they are best briefcases made for classic style and longevity

sclemmons

Reaction score
Do any members still appreciate the wonderful bridle leather traditional briefcases made in England. I still think they are best briefcases made for classic style and longevity

Been there, done that. Never again. You may be right about longevity if that is what you are trying to maximize but I am not so sure.

Had a nice Tanner Krolle bag 25 years ago that looked like it was designed to carry stock certificates, and gave it away. Too 20th century today. With the demise of paper, our load is rarely as heavy as it used to be.

I do admire and have been tempted by the SAB lid-over-box cases, but they look ridiculous and anachronistic today.

I carried a leather Tumi Alpha all over the world until I got tired of it. This was a smart buy for me given their product support.

I recently settled on Frank Clegg after a trip to Fall River. You might visit Glaser Designs in San Francisco. Your call, but these are both better, faster to deliver, cheaper, made to order, and more useful than the traditional bridle products in my opinion. None of us is going to amortize a bag for the years that it takes for an SAB bag to make sense today. It is classic but more than we need in today's world.

I do recall their store in London and even in San Francisco in the late 80's and still love the umbrellas. Good luck in your choice. Let us see what you buy.

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Hope so :)

briefcase0011.jpg

Equus Bridle Leather Briefcases

Charlie

Leander walker

Reaction score
Beautiful,very traditional looking briefcase. Seems like most men carry nylon backpacks with their suit in new york. There is nothing like a nice,traditional briefcase to complete a proper business look

Leander walker

Reaction score
I already own several of the British made cases. Lid over body,flap over with buckle straps,top frame,etc. I would take issue with calling a lid over body briefcase "ridiculous". These cases have stood the test of time ettinger now makes one with an I pad pocket inside. What is ridiculous is spending $$ on " designer" brands,many of which are made in china but are lacking in quality and substance just like a fine pair of english shoes,the English traditional briefcase will never be "ridiculous". Some companies are modifying the interiors to accommodate different items and adding shoulder straps. But there is still a lot to say for one of these classic designs

echo7tango

Reaction score
You might visit Glaser Designs in San Francisco.
I’ve had my Glaser Designs bag for about two years now. Still love it. Here’s a more recent photo of it. The yellow scratch-out covers my name.

7E62FF55-316F-4226-8D0C-8AA4B929BF2F.jpeg

I originally posted about it over a year ago. The first picture was in the Glaser Designs studio when it was brand new, here >

> https://www.styleforum.net/threads/briefcase-Appreciation-thread.34253/post-9446905

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone actually use the Valextra Premier case? I'm thinking about ordering one, but would certainly like to hear a first-hand account first.

It's a true classic, but these days I feel there are so many great companies out doing interesting products, that I don't know if it is inherently worth it anymore for $4k. Ten years ago at $2k, sure... But now?

For functionality... I find the Premier a little TOO structured... and one of those bags so far ahead of its time in the 1960's that these days it actually feels out of date. Unless they've changed the design, it really doesn't have any internal spaces for folders or organization. It's basically a small suitcase that your stuff kinda klangs around inside.

For fuction and durability, I prefer either Valextra's classic 2 or 3 gusset briefcase OR the Accademia document case. I still use my 2 gusset in dark gray even after 10 years or more.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a true classic, but these days I feel there are so many great companies out doing interesting products, that I don't know if it is inherently worth it anymore for $4k. Ten years ago at $2k, sure... But now?

For functionality... I find the Premier a little TOO structured... and one of those bags so far ahead of its time in the 1960's that these days it actually feels out of date. Unless they've changed the design, it really doesn't have any internal spaces for folders or organization. It's basically a small suitcase that your stuff kinda klangs around inside.

For fuction and durability, I prefer either Valextra's classic 2 or 3 gusset briefcase OR the Accademia document case. I still use my 2 gusset in dark gray even after 10 years or more.
reminds me of the good old days

Leander walker

Reaction score
While Valletta makes an excellent product,the type of leather used will simply not wear as well as bridle leather used in briefcases made in England. Italian leather tends to be glazed and show scratches in a bad way. When bridle leather scratches it actually adds character to the bag. And natural leather develops a beautiful patina with use where as coated leathers only scratch and do not patina wonderfully.

La Fin Du Monde

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a craftsman who could refurbish a leather briefcase?

I have a Coach bag, don't judge :blush:, that needs restoration and repair.

(One day, I'll spend $2,500+ on a new briefcase. Just not today.)

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a craftsman who could refurbish a leather briefcase?

I have a Coach bag, don't judge :blush:, that needs restoration and repair.

(One day, I'll spend $2,500+ on a new briefcase. Just not today.)

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Where are you based, and what specifically needs sorting (e.g. stitching needs repair)?

La Fin Du Monde

Reaction score
Where are you based, and what specifically needs sorting (e.g. stitching needs repair)?

Hi Simon,

I'm based in Washington, D.C. The leather that holds the spring hooks to the straps has started to tear over time.

I've had it for 10 years and the leather also needs buffed and cared for.

It shouldn't be a major repair.

Thanks for anything you could recommend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads