• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone own the jw hulme slim portfolio and have some pics showing how it ages???

PMac

Reaction score
I'm assuming L&C is Lotuff and Clegg? How old is this? Is this the Vege tanned leather?

Yes, Lotuff & Clegg in Chestnut vegetable tanned leather. I got this in the fall of 2011, so just over 18 months old I would say. The actual color in most natural light conditions somewhere between the previous photo and the one below, probably leaning toward the darker shade.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

anyone own the jw hulme slim portfolio and have some pics showing how it ages???
No pics, but I do own it in the heritage leather, or whatever they call the high end beat-up stuff. IMO, it ages gracefully. Of course, if you want something impeccable, this won't be it.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow.

If I had a "bat man" to organize my luggage, I would travel with those.

Globe-Trotter Cases including the 16" Slim Attache Safari.

9eteraza.jpg

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally my briefcase is done from JPM
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Now the hard part to wait like a child.

exit

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking to get a briefcase and finally give up my bag. I was looking for something like the Kent Messenger but a stiffer leather like the tomkins leather ones. Ideally two compartments and some kind of cloth on the inside because I'll have a laptop and an ipad, and I'm pretty rough with them. Something smaller than the kent would be nice, maybe 14-15"? Any ideas? Thanks!

JD&Co

Reaction score
Opinions needed...

Thinking of pulling the trigger on this... what are you thoughts?

I would be purchasing from the original owner who purchased it 30 years ago and has not used it since.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The handle is either rather clever or really cheesy and fragile. Are you going only from photos or can you take a look at it in person?

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Swaine Adeney Brigg produces all-around excellent bags. My dad's two bags are about 3 decades old and have aged gracefully. I have three newer ones, and they're equally excellent. Quick tip: SAB usually has a 20% sale twice a year. What this means is that you can get the Westminister wraparound at approximately 880 pounds when on sale, and when it's shipped out of the UK. I bought my SAB at approximately 900 pounds, shipped to the US. Excellent price for SAB's pedigree and rich history which is unrivaled. Think they've supplied from Indiana Jones to countless British Prime Ministers. When one buys an SAB bag, one buys not merely just a well-crafted bag, regardless of the method of construction, but also, 250 years of history and heritage, and tradition. I liken it to buying a Row-made suit. Is it the case that nobody else can make a better suit? I disbelieve that's the case, and the Japanese are at the pinnacle of their game. In the same way, many make exceptional bags, and a number of Japanese artisans come to mind. Their bags are perfectly crafted and amazingly beautiful. This below, for example, is made by a Japanese leather company. The handles are truly gorgeous. Look at the neat stitching, and rounded edges which take more effort to make properly: When one buys a bag, or an umbrella from a company like SAB, I think one buys into its rich pedigree of having supplied royals and celebrate the history of a historical bag. The allure of buying a bag from a storied firm is as enticing as the finished product. Very much the same way that Anderson & Sheppard is renown for having dressed Fred Astaire, and Henry Poole, countless heads of states. There's an excellent thread on SAB bags here -- http://www.styleforum.net/t/206275/discuss-swaine-adeney-brigg-cases/30 I have this Gladstone in this picture, and it's now 15 years old. All around sturdy and beautiful.
Take it easy bro, it's just a piece of cow skin.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It not just cow skin, it's a way of life. 
Or as Gault-Millau used to say, "whips, saddles, and other implements of an English education."

negusnegas

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with bags with hardware made out of Zamak. Are there any drawbacks?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads