• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the same, in a darker brown, but without the strap. Lovely briefcase, insane value for an 'entry level' briefcase. 

HT briefcases are beautiful. I have 2 briefcases in rotation (SAB & Coach) ...thinking of adding a third one. Should I add a messenger /briefcase bag with canvas & leather or another leather briefcase ?
How many of you use a tote ? I find a bit too feminine ....lol

Herky210

Reaction score

I'm wondering if there is a briefcase with a "classic" feel that is sized and compartmented just right for carrying an iPad, accessories and a few A4 or Letter documents if needed. Bombata has some, but it's as far from "classic" as it gets (even though I honestly love their cold war Dolce Vita feel).

Ditto, not found much and the Bombata is too trendy looking and doesn't have a great color selections. A document case/portfolio size makes sense with certain briefcase attributes.

I like this:
549e7b3e9e2465ae1ab646a8b0cbcf4f.jpg

Big Texas

Reaction score
Anyone have a photo of a well-aged SAB in London tan? On the fence about that color right now. I know it's the classic option as SAB goes, but it's just too damned light for me. I hear it darkens considerably over time, but to what extent? Just trying to get a clearer sense of the endgame here.

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentleman, where is the best place to get the Berluti Deux Jours briefcase?Looking for one as an investment piece for myself.

any place we can get it online at good prices?

casemaker

Reaction score
Hi Big Texas.

I was recently asked how the Sedgwick's Bridle Butt would age and patina, so contacted a client who had purchased a strap-around brief case from me in 2011,

Aproximately 1 1/2 years later, having " been his daily case, in a smoky and dusty town, Oxford, UK, this is what it looks like,

I had thought that the colour change was more extreme than I had expected, so sent down a piece of new London Colour, so that I could judge better,

So you can see, the initial 'Yellow' of the London colour Sedgwick's Butt, has turned into a 'Light tan' colour. How much more colour change will occur, I don't know, but will try and get yearly snaps of the case for my records.

I imagine that whatever leather SAB uses? and it is not Sedgwicks, you could expect a similar sort of colour change over the years, depending on their leathers, and the use and location
best, simon baker

SHS

Reaction score
Beautiful case Simon. Do you also make wallets?

casemaker

Reaction score
I make Credit card wallets, this is a recent one, hand stitched reindeer hide,

So I guess I could, but my expertise, is in the larger items. Also I do not have a splitting machine, so have to work with the substance/thickness leathers I am able to buy in. Click on my avatar, and check my albums at the bottom of the page, that will give you a better idea of the range of work I do. best regards, simon baker

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is really... bad. The superfluous celtic knots wouldn't be criminal, though I don't like them---but the stamped escutcheon on the back of the bag is gross. The finishing is crude and... just not good. The latch is confusing and poorly integrated into the overall design.

jwong6590

Reaction score

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Had the pleasure of this bag in my company at the recent pop-up shop I hosted.. Pity it's a sample and I have to return it.

Details: Made in the UK by Simpson London from the finest bridle leather.

Last edited:

Amock

Reaction score
This is really... bad. The superfluous celtic knots wouldn't be criminal, though I don't like them---but the stamped escutcheon on the back of the bag is gross. The finishing is crude and... just not good. The latch is confusing and poorly integrated into the overall design.
Such a poor opinion without even holding one in your hands. The finish is anything but crude, a two year old can open the latch, and the design is classic, clean, and very cool!

Oh well, always a critic somewhere that needs their voice heard.

Cheers,

Andy

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The briefcase is quite ugly looking thing (in my opinion). I think its overkill and looks tacky.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The briefcase is quite ugly looking thing (in my opinion). I think its overkill and looks tacky.
I happen to like it a lot, a fresh casual case without resorting to floppy messenger bags. In fact, I own one of this, and I get more compliments and looks than my SAB and Ballys. It is a change from the uniforms of bridle that is quite typical of SF groupthink. This is coming from someone who is quite bored with SAB, Bally Scribe Sapei and Dunhill Tradition.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads