• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Laffertron
My old man bought me this number about a year ago from NYC, it's been holding up pretty well considering it is used daily. Fantastic general-purpose bag for the office worker.

<Image of KC bag redacted>

KC:briefcase Appreciation :: Sears catalog:actual Appreciation

Mr T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1
I visited Glaser Designs studio in San Francisco today for the second time and spoke with Myron Glaser about Glaser Designs possibly offering antiqued versions of the leathers used for his cases. I'm going to do a full write-up of Glaser Designs and my finished briefcase when I get the case delivered in the next few weeks. Lots of pictures of their pieces will be posted, too. Stay tuned for the longer thread w/ close-up pics upon receipt of the bag...
NorCal...don't leave us hanging...do you have the briefcase yet?

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T
NorCal...don't leave us hanging...do you have the briefcase yet?

Myron G. was going to call me to drop by once he had the leather hyde dyed, so it's going to be a few weeks until I get the final bag to show off

as soon as I get it, I'll post lots of pictures and do a trip report on Glaser Designs

it's going to ultimately look something like this:

IMG_6052.jpg

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1
a trip report on Glaser Designs
I'm looking forward to it.

I bought a Glaser Designs flaptop bag a decade ago and have
used it ever since. It is wonderful, heavy, and will surely outlast
me. Off and on I've wondered about the lack of love for
Glaser Designs on SF.

They were just learning about desktop publishing when I
stumbled across them. Glaser sent out this wonderful catalog
with patches of leathers in all colors in finishes. I think I
still have it around here somewhere; it was a wonder by itself.

I hope the case works out well- I'd love to see what they
do with antiquing leather. That plus I never did get to see
their shop.

daytrader

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tidybeard
Some very nice cases guys
worship.gif

Mulholland Brothers Angler's Bag (in lariat leather but treated with conditioner which brings the colour down to a level I like a lot).

Anglers-bag-2.jpg

Nice case. I'm thinking about getting a Mulholland bros. Lariat Angler's bag and was wondering what leather conditioner did you use? Love that color. Thanks

P.S. Anyone have one of these for sale?
smile.gif

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably not up to SF snuff, but I carry this bag:

Made by Rawlings from Horween pro-stock ball glove leather. I condition it with shaving cream - no joke.

We need a ball glove Appreciation thread.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Cool.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not one for logos or massive brief cases but I like this look. It looks so solid and well built. I've seen them many times over the years and the heavy metal lock and clasps are impressive. I have considered buying a used one, but I can't imagine carrying one around for several hours.

I guess I'll have to wait until I need to deliver a few mill in unmarked bills to someone. So much better than a generic nylon duffel bag.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by LabelKing
I like the look of the vintage hard-sided Vuitton President case:

7683-iID.jpg

They also make it in leather:
5f27_1_sbl.JPG

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I am not one for logos or massive brief cases but I like this look. It looks so solid and well built. I've seen them many times over the years and the heavy metal lock and clasps are impressive. I have considered buying a used one, but I can't imagine carrying one around for several hours. I guess I'll have to wait until I need to deliver a few mill in unmarked bills to someone. So much better than a generic nylon duffel bag.
smile.gif

According to Vuitton, it was first made in the '50s after a client wanted something that resembled their luggage pieces. Personally, I think the Monogram canvas looks best on hard-sided structured pieces. They also made a Diplomate attache, which lacks some of the hardware:
4728-iID.jpg

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont know LK, but that logo is so selfdestructive to the whole look. It's can not look at it anymore. It's not ugly, it's just incredibly played out.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flieger
I dont know LK, but that logo is so selfdestructive to the whole look. It's can not look at it anymore. It's not ugly, it's just incredibly played out.
In LV's defense, they've been doing the logo thing for most of their company history and you can still find antique pieces from over a 100 years ago with the same pattern.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flieger

I think part of its appeal is its brashness, but you're right to some extent--the pattern has become rather ubiquitous.

Ironically, the monogram canvas was initially designed to curb counterfeiters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics