• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

bennyb

Reaction score
REALLY NEED ADVICE PLEASE: I maximum have about £300 to spend and want to get a Hugo Boss bag as this seems to be the only thing in my price range, thats not too conservative, but i also need to use it for important meetings, which is more tastefull of these 2 please that doesnt look cheap and comes across professional:

1. http://store-uk.hugoboss.com/Calf-a...en_GB,pd.html&cgid=25300#!i=3&color=001_Black

2. http://store-uk.hugoboss.com/Work-b...n_GB,pd.html&cgid=25300#!i=28&color=001_Black

Since i need the bag by thursday and im in london these are the only 2 choices i can think of unless anyone can suggest anything else: Many thanks to all replies

Apollotrader

Reaction score
REALLY NEED ADVICE PLEASE: I maximum have about £300 to spend and want to get a Hugo Boss bag as this seems to be the only thing in my price range, thats not too conservative, but i also need to use it for important meetings, which is more tastefull of these 2 please that doesnt look cheap and comes across professional:

1. http://store-uk.hugoboss.com/Calf-a...en_GB,pd.html&cgid=25300#!i=3&color=001_Black

2. http://store-uk.hugoboss.com/Work-b...n_GB,pd.html&cgid=25300#!i=28&color=001_Black

Since i need the bag by thursday and im in london these are the only 2 choices i can think of unless anyone can suggest anything else: Many thanks to all replies

I think in that price range you would be much better off with Coach, longer lasting and classic style.
70304_svbk_a0%3F%24mainlarge%24

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you really like a nice briefcase and you know what you want but you aren’t prepared to spend that much right now….it’s better to wait. Keep using you old one and when you are ready just spend the extra and get what you really want. I have been waiting for a bit over 12 months now. I am still using my old nylon briefcase. I know what I want and will buy it once I can justify spending that much on that briefcase. I mean briefcase is something you will use it every day(unless you have few). If you are not fully satisfied then its kind of waste of money.

Last edited:

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MrChris that bag is beautiful.

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this is a Appreciation thread, but I have a question.

I work in the IT industry as a statistician, and generally take a backpack to work (yes, I'm that guy), but I'm thinking about getting a briefcase. I'm still new to mens fashion and am slowly working on updating my wardrobe, so I really don't want to spend too much (100+) on a briefcase. I'd much rather spend my money on another suit or nice dress shoes than a briefcase at this moment. So can anyone provide suggestions on a cheap briefcase to get my by.

Thanks!

sinfjotli

Reaction score

I know this is a Appreciation thread, but I have a question.

I work in the IT industry as a statistician, and generally take a backpack to work (yes, I'm that guy), but I'm thinking about getting a briefcase. I'm still new to mens fashion and am slowly working on updating my wardrobe, so I really don't want to spend too much (100+) on a briefcase. I'd much rather spend my money on another suit or nice dress shoes than a briefcase at this moment. So can anyone provide suggestions on a cheap briefcase to get my by.

Thanks!

My suggestion would be to just get a cheap nylon laptop bag, and wait until you feel comfortable spending the money on a nice leather briefcase that will last you very long time. The nylon bag won't destroy your coats' shoulders at least, unlike the backpack.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone on here heard of Simon Barker (SF handle casemaker) or purchased any of his bags? I have been looking for a SAB type bag but have been loath to spend $2k+ for the bag I want. I saw pictures of this guy’s bags here on SF and started talking with him. Here are some excerpts from his emails:

“…I have been a casemaker full time for over 25 years, don't employ staff, so everything is made by me. The case we are looking at, takes over 25 hour to make, as I said, is double hand stitched entirely, apart from the partition boards top binding. The front and back panel is made from Bridle butt ( a much better cut than the more usual bridle shoulder, and at double the price, if SAB don't say butt, which they don't, then you have to assume shoulder )

I do not line the front and back panels, because the leather is well finished, and will age well, and attain it's own patina, and applied linings are likely to stain and wear poorly. The partition boards are lined with a glazed pigskin lining, that is made as a shoe lining leather, that I have found to be extremely well wearing.

The case body straps are bridle butt, hand stitched, not riveted, the same with the detachable shoulder strap. all fittings are polished brass. I have not yet had a hand stitched case returned to me for repair, in more than 25 years, so I guess that says something!...”

“…£920 + £65 for the extra corners + freight at cost, and you may have import duties.

The SAB case you have asked about, would be, I stock, but don't like them because they put the handle off center, when in the 'wrong' hole…”think less than £920, because there are no straps and strap chapes to deal with, however, the pocket details would add to the work? I do not currently have any 'padding' suitable for the center partition, but in my view, it should be almost impossible for a laptop to be damaged in the center pocket? Also I see that SAB have used a thin leather wrapped around board for the F and Back panels, I would use 3.5 - 4mm Sedgewicks Bridle Butt, MUCH more durable, and a better quality of leather. The back and front panels would not be lined.

It would be entirely hand stitched, except for the partition top binding. You would be able to specify pocket dimensions and other details…”

Any comments on his take on SAB quality?

Any other suggestions for a bag?

Pictures of casemaker's bag that I am considering:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone on here heard of Simon Barker (SF handle casemaker) or purchased any of his bags? I have been looking for a SAB type bag but have been loath to spend $2k+ for the bag I want.

I have a used Brooks Brothers that I am thinking about reconditioning, but am now intrigued by doing this instead - please provide us with updates as you go through the process.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a used Brooks Brothers that I am thinking about reconditioning, but am now intrigued by doing this instead - please provide us with updates as you go through the process.

Well, I would like some feedback before I move forward :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads