• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read about canvas rain covers that come with some (expensive) briefcases. I have tried looking for photos of such a cover, but haven't found any. Does anyone know what they look like? A photo perhaps?

Poor photo but it was the best i could find - here is an example of a canvas cover on a vintage croc suitcase:

dealer_serpentine_full_1318592470270-3576020811.jpg

haloitsme

Reaction score
They do look quality - as demonstrated by the use of ostrich inside. They are all a little dated, especially the first and last. That may also constrain values - it depends whether you are buying for yourself or trying to flip for a profit, I would suggest $300 for the first one, $400 for the last one and $5-600 for the middle one. That's strong achievable selling prices, assuming you take better photos and are willing to sit it out for your buyer to come along (and potentially listing at a higher price and accepting an offer a little lower).

I recognise those prices are potentially 20% of what MSRP might have been, but that's the nature of the market for classic briefcases - no-one really needs them any more.
Thank you,
I was told the retail prices, custom order: first 5.000€/ second 7200€/ third 8900€. Manufacturer Vienna based, can rival Hermes in quality (was told) and went bankrupt / closed 8 years ago :box:. So, Arround 500€ For personell :) thx

Lucky_Farmer

Reaction score
Anybody knows if Frank clegg ever goes on sale? I have contacted Ian but he does not have the one I like in the “ones with small mistakes” category.

semaxan

Reaction score
Cross post from Sir Rach's manbag thread.

Anyone have experience with Tarnsjo Garveri? I won't be purchasing anytime soon, but saw their Icon Briefcase on Mr Porter last night.

I just received mine. Exceeding my very high expectations. Absolutely beautiful and timeless design and premium quality. The feeling is so genuine compared to the major brands. Tärnsjö Garveri (tannery) earlier produced vegetable tanned leather to Louis Vuitton and Hermès among others until they decided to use their premium quality leather for creating their own brand under the name TG1873. I enclose some pictures and a link to an unboxing video:

IMG_3159.JPG
IMG_3160.JPG
IMG_3172.JPG

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody knows if Frank clegg ever goes on sale? I have contacted Ian but he does not have the one I like in the “ones with small mistakes” category.

I don't know about Clegg directly but I purchased one from NMWA and they sometimes run sales (you can ask them if these are ever part of them) and have a first time online purchase savings of $50 off of $250. Not nearly the selection but if they have what you are looking for... They have a strong SF presence and are an active part of their thread. (I got one for my wife with funds from the Luxeswap NMWA collab after SPOO sold items I had thrifted.)

kalufsen

Reaction score
I just received mine. Exceeding my very high expectations. Absolutely beautiful and timeless design and premium quality. The feeling is so genuine compared to the major brands. Tärnsjö Garveri (tannery) earlier produced vegetable tanned leather to Louis Vuitton and Hermès among others until they decided to use their premium quality leather for creating their own brand under the name TG1873. I enclose some pictures and a link to an unboxing video:

View attachment 1093168 View attachment 1093169 View attachment 1093170

Absolutely beautiful, is it the cognac? Perhaps its the same as light brown. Can you take some picture of the back, inner compartments etc.

semaxan

Reaction score
Absolutely beautiful, is it the cognac? Perhaps its the same as light brown. Can you take some picture of the back, inner compartments etc.

Thanks! Yes, it is truly beautiful. They refer the color to both cognac and light brown, it's the same. You can see some of the back and interior in the video I enclosed.

MathewMC

Reaction score

View attachment 1093168 View attachment 1093169 View attachment 1093170

Gorgeous bag :O

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you.

How easy is the front latch to open? I've read that the little bit of leather covering it when closed makes it a little annoying to open.

semaxan

Reaction score
How easy is the front latch to open? I've read that the little bit of leather covering it when closed makes it a little annoying to open.

I guess it is less quick to open than if it wouldn’t have been covered, but it has not disturbed me yet although I haven’t really used ”in the field”. The leather is slightly less thick there so I believe it will soften somewhat and probably wear as well, but I feel it makes it look less formal in a good way.

jnorm15

Reaction score
How have you liked it so far? Anything you wish you could change?
I love it. The only thing I would change --and this is very nit-picky--would be to get rid of the internal cell phone pocket because sometimes papers get caught up on it when I'm trying to stuff them into the main compartment in a pinch. Otherwise, I consider it to be the perfect bag.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads