• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

sclemmons

Reaction score
What's your guys opinion on the harness belting leather vs the tumbled leather on the Clegg briefcases? Thinking either chocolate or chestnut colour.

Harness is harder. Tumbled is softer.

I recommend you call Frank and talk to him. That is what I did. He put me on to the chocolate shrunken. I did not want something that would waterspot in the rain and the shrunken nailed that requirement. I have the double gusset zip top and it does the job. It might be tight with a 15” computer. I would not want it smaller particularly with the chargers we all carry. The triple gusset is tempting but feels too bulky to me.

You might also look at the new grained goat leather. I have a toilet kit out of this leather and I am tempted to do a larger bag with it. Have you looked at the Frank Clegg Leatherworks folio on Instagram? Check that out and then ask Frank. Or Ian if you can’t get Frank.

You might also speak to a retailer. Bauman’s in Little Rock has several pieces in stock. They are great guys and will be glad to help.

Good luck.

Sdig14

Reaction score
Harness is harder. Tumbled is softer.

I recommend you call Frank and talk to him. That is what I did. He put me on to the chocolate shrunken. I did not want something that would waterspot in the rain and the shrunken nailed that requirement. I have the double gusset zip top and it does the job. It might be tight with a 15” computer. I would not want it smaller particularly with the chargers we all carry. The triple gusset is tempting but feels too bulky to me.

You might also look at the new grained goat leather. I have a toilet kit out of this leather and I am tempted to do a larger bag with it. Have you looked at the Frank Clegg Leatherworks folio on Instagram? Check that out and then ask Frank. Or Ian if you can’t get Frank.

You might also speak to a retailer. Bauman’s in Little Rock has several pieces in stock. They are great guys and will be glad to help.

Good luck.
Thanks for the help!

Yes, I may just have to call them. being in Canada, can't really go to any retailers or anything. I have some leather swatches being sent to me, so I am hoping once I can get them in my hands that will help quite a bit as well.

jnorm15

Reaction score
What's your guys opinion on the harness belting leather vs the tumbled leather on the Clegg briefcases? Thinking either chocolate or chestnut colour.

I much prefer the belting leather to the tumbled leather, but I like my bags to be stiff. YMMV.

Regarding color, I like the chocolate more but chose instead to go with chestnut because I think the quality and beauty of the bag is more pronounced with the lighter color.

Last edited:

jnorm15

Reaction score
Furthermore, I am looking to spend about $1,000 USD maximum on a new leather briefcase that I plan to carry most of my day-to-day items to and from the office, with a laptop sometimes and some papers. I have a larger leather bag with wheels if I am carrying lots of paperwork, so don't need anything crazy big.

Any recommendations for any other brands to check out? Currently leaning Frank Clegg Zip-top. I would like the following:

1. Zipper on the top with good range in order to expand as much as possible.
2. Most likely double gusset.
3. Must have inside compartments for phone, charger, business cards, pens, etc. (most do I feel like?)
4. Don't want any straps or buckles preferably, pretty clean design.
5. has to be big enough to fit a 15" laptop.

You should reach out to @Ian Clegg and he will sort you out. I just ordered a green zip-top from him yesterday.

mwh

Reaction score
Furthermore, I am looking to spend about $1,000 USD maximum on a new leather briefcase that I plan to carry most of my day-to-day items to and from the office, with a laptop sometimes and some papers. I have a larger leather bag with wheels if I am carrying lots of paperwork, so don't need anything crazy big.

Any recommendations for any other brands to check out? Currently leaning Frank Clegg Zip-top. I would like the following:

1. Zipper on the top with good range in order to expand as much as possible.
2. Most likely double gusset.
3. Must have inside compartments for phone, charger, business cards, pens, etc. (most do I feel like?)
4. Don't want any straps or buckles preferably, pretty clean design.
5. has to be big enough to fit a 15" laptop.

The Commuter? I ordered one in black tumbled leather with silver hardware. I thought about getting the zip-top, but to me it seems like the Commuter is sized (approx.) between the single- and double-gusset zip tops. I hope it's perfect for me at least.

mwh

Reaction score
I just received mine today - here's a photo
DH7cQME.jpg

Sdig14

Reaction score
I just received mine today - here's a photo
DH7cQME.jpg
Beauty. Would you mind taking pics of the inside? The ones on the site aren't great.

How long did it take to receive after you placed your order?

mwh

Reaction score
Anything specific you'd like to see? Here's one photo:
8GOj0ZO.jpg

I ordered it November 13th, and it arrived today. So less than four weeks, not too far off Christmas. That's pretty good I think.

Sdig14

Reaction score
That's a solid time frame I would say, given it is holiday season.

That is what I wanted to see, just a good picture of how big the interior pockets are and how much room it looks like it has in the interior. I plan to carry my work laptop, then my phone, a charger, business cards, pens, etc. So looks like it should do the trick.

I tend to carry my small wallet in there too as I don't like having it the pocket of my suit jacket or sport coat when it is on, ha. And some sunglasses, so looks like lots of extra room for EDC items.

mwh

Reaction score
That sounds like what I’ll use it for too. I like the fact that it has one big room, which could also hold a rolled up sweater, or something of a similar size. I thought the bound edge zip-top would be a tad too slim.

Sdig14

Reaction score
That sounds like what I’ll use it for too. I like the fact that it has one big room, which could also hold a rolled up sweater, or something of a similar size. I thought the bound edge zip-top would be a tad too slim.
Yes, this is my deliberation as well, ha.

I thought perhaps the double gusset might be nice to separate laptop on one side and personal items on the other, but can't really tell if it will be too slim on each side or not. First world decisions here, for sure.

mwh

Reaction score
I've read about canvas rain covers that come with some (expensive) briefcases. I have tried looking for photos of such a cover, but haven't found any. Does anyone know what they look like? A photo perhaps?

haloitsme

Reaction score
Hey guys. How would you rate this bags and what would be a reasonable price for each? Quality top notch (I think .. and was told)
Best

IMG_9807.PNG

IMG_9808.PNG

IMG_9809.PNG

IMG_9810.PNG

IMG_9811.PNG

IMG_9812.PNG

IMG_9813.PNG

IMG_9814.PNG

IMG_9815.PNG

IMG_9816.PNG

IMG_9817.PNG

IMG_9818.PNG

IMG_9819.PNG

IMG_9820.PNG

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do look quality - as demonstrated by the use of ostrich inside. They are all a little dated, especially the first and last. That may also constrain values - it depends whether you are buying for yourself or trying to flip for a profit, I would suggest $300 for the first one, $400 for the last one and $5-600 for the middle one. That's strong achievable selling prices, assuming you take better photos and are willing to sit it out for your buyer to come along (and potentially listing at a higher price and accepting an offer a little lower).

I recognise those prices are potentially 20% of what MSRP might have been, but that's the nature of the market for classic briefcases - no-one really needs them any more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads