• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

ErikW

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the recommendations guys - quick question, is there anything that I should be on the lookout for as I compare these bags? As long as they're full-grain leather, with an established company, is styling the only differentiation?

I'm certainly no expert in this, but style will be a factor, color, the finishing details (brass, stainless steel, piping on leather, etc), some will let you custom order, there are a lot of different types of leather (chromexcel, dublin, shell-cordovan, essex, etc).

If you stick with those brands we just recommended, you're not going to have an issue with bad quality leather.

Epicure

Reaction score
Check out Frank Clegg, Niestroj, Hrothgar, and Lefren. Those are some of my favorites. I've owned a Frank Clegg for quite a few years - very high quality.
I was actually a bit disappointed when the two bags I purchased from Frank Clegg arrived. Maybe I was expecting too much. IMO, they look better in photos than IRL. The leather doesn't have much depth to it. Maybe that's something that will only come with time. The bag I have in cognac doesn't match the cognac accessories I purchased to compliment it. I'd say the accessories are cognac, while the bag is virtually orange. Customer service from Ian Clegg is woeful, with emails to try and customise my order going unanswered for weeks, and Ian not being around to take phone calls, even though he indicated his availability at the times I said I would call. Frank has unfortunately lost me, thanks to his youngster's nonchalant attitude as proclaimed public relations and sales director. On a positive note, the bags are well put together and nicely finished with quality fittings. I've owned the bags about six months. Given it's a bit off topic, I've kept my rant on the shorter side, and omitted specifics that I'm glad to share with anyone interested. My take home message is that it would pay to be at least a little wary buying from Frank Clegg, but YMMV.

takashi78

Reaction score
So far, I've looked at a lot of the contenders for good-value, high-quality bags (Saddleback, Ruitertassen, Custom Hide, Satchel and Page, Pad and Quill, Allen Edmonds), and the style I've liked the most is the 16" Flaptop Bag from Glaser Designs: http://www.glaserdesigns.com/category/men-2/flaptop-bags/16-flaptop-bag-flaptop-bags/, specifically in sienna.

I have the same Glaser bag that you are considering in natural leather. I think Glaser doesn't get mention too much here.
Things i like about the the brand and the bag are, the people behind the brand are just great people and very passionate about what they do.
I love how i can have a Skype video call with them (i was from Malaysia and visiting SF afterwords on holiday) and i was able to go over the design, extra options can be added, they will even ask you what you usually put in the bag and have those items ready and show you the bag loaded with your usual stuff and you can see for yourself how you bag fares when fully loaded.
Glaser bags are built like a tank and can last you a lifetime.
I then got to tour their workshop and speak to the owners and finalize my interior color options.
Only 2 downsides which i feel after owning the bag for about 3 years.
- Bag is kinda heavy even when empty, i guess that what you get when having a leather bag.
- The finishing might not be the best, but certainly does not mean that the bag is not well built.

rossyl

Reaction score
Hi

Trying to decide between these. They are the exact same briefcase except for small flash externally of the internal lining.

Either grey or orange.

Votes/thoughts would be much appreciated.

2ytpjib.jpg

2h3so6s.jpg

Thanks

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

Trying to decide between these. They are the exact same briefcase except for small flash externally of the internal lining.

Either grey or orange.

2ytpjib.jpg

2h3so6s.jpg

Thanks

Personally, I like the orange, but it depends on the message you wish to convey. If this will be used in very conservative work environments the grey is probably better.

I would do the orange, but that’s for me.

xyicah

Reaction score
Personally, I like the orange, but it depends on the message you wish to convey. If this will be used in very conservative work environments the grey is probably better.

I agree - I would do the orange to stand out and be different from the crowd, but that's personal preference. To me, a full grey suitcase is mundane, but like quoted, could be perfect for your work/use environment. I do wish the orange was subtler - almost as if they used that as the edging or the stitching!

rossyl

Reaction score
I agree - I would do the orange to stand out and be different from the crowd, but that's personal preference. To me, a full grey suitcase is mundane, but like quoted, could be perfect for your work/use environment. I do wish the orange was subtler - almost as if they used that as the edging or the stitching!

Thanks

Would appreciate some more thoughts please!

ParkerPierpont

Reaction score
Thanks

Would appreciate some more thoughts please!

Practically:
Understated is going to age better. If you're planning on keeping this a while, you'll grow tired of the orange much before you grow tired of the matching tone. It's a bit visually exhausting. If you have a collection of briefcases, or at least more than one (and don't mind switching), I'd consider orange.

Metaphysically:
I'm of the thought that a contrasty interior is cool because it's 'for you' - as you'll be the only one that'll regularly see it. This is why I offer all of those crazy colors for the interior of some of our bags. It represents that these details matter to you even if the outside world doesn't get to see it. It adds depth, more character than it initially lets on.

As soon as you show the hint of color on the outside, it means something else entirely.

So, generally, I'd recommend keeping the colors for yourself and those close enough to see. But there's definitely a place for everything.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi

Either grey or orange.

2ytpjib.jpg

2h3so6s.jpg

Thanks

I’ve haven’t heard all that great things about the quality of these bags. Mainly in that they use sketchy leather sometimes. I’d buy from a source with a good return policy just in case you are sent one from a bad batch.

rossyl

Reaction score
I’ve haven’t heard all that great things about the quality of these bags. Mainly in that they use sketchy leather sometimes. I’d buy from a source with a good return policy just in case you are sent one from a bad batch.

Thanks.

From what I've seen, and I've been to their store in London, the quality looks very good and is comparable to others in the same price bracket.

rossyl

Reaction score
Practically:
Understated is going to age better. If you're planning on keeping this a while, you'll grow tired of the orange much before you grow tired of the matching tone. It's a bit visually exhausting. If you have a collection of briefcases, or at least more than one (and don't mind switching), I'd consider orange.

Metaphysically:
I'm of the thought that a contrasty interior is cool because it's 'for you' - as you'll be the only one that'll regularly see it. This is why I offer all of those crazy colors for the interior of some of our bags. It represents that these details matter to you even if the outside world doesn't get to see it. It adds depth, more character than it initially lets on.

As soon as you show the hint of color on the outside, it means something else entirely.

So, generally, I'd recommend keeping the colors for yourself and those close enough to see. But there's definitely a place for everything.

Thanks very much for this.

A very good point.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would still appreciate any other last thoughts....buying this weekend!
If it's going to be your primary/only bag, get the gray. If you've got a couple already and this is just going to be one in rotation occasionally, get the orange.

The orange everyday screams a bit too much "look at me!" but only seen once in a while it's saying "I felt frisky this morning".

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would still appreciate any other last thoughts....buying this weekend!

It's settled. Buy both. No struggle.

My main thing is shoes. If I am deciding between 2 pairs, I just buy them both.

I have 2 work bags I use. 2 more are on stand by. Can never have enough.

sclemmons

Reaction score
I was actually a bit disappointed when the two bags I purchased from Frank Clegg arrived. Maybe I was expecting too much. IMO, they look better in photos than IRL. The leather doesn't have much depth to it. Maybe that's something that will only come with time. The bag I have in cognac doesn't match the cognac accessories I purchased to compliment it. I'd say the accessories are cognac, while the bag is virtually orange. Customer service from Ian Clegg is woeful, with emails to try and customise my order going unanswered for weeks, and Ian not being around to take phone calls, even though he indicated his availability at the times I said I would call. Frank has unfortunately lost me, thanks to his youngster's nonchalant attitude as proclaimed public relations and sales director. On a positive note, the bags are well put together and nicely finished with quality fittings. I've owned the bags about six months. Given it's a bit off topic, I've kept my rant on the shorter side, and omitted specifics that I'm glad to share with anyone interested. My take home message is that it would pay to be at least a little wary buying from Frank Clegg, but YMMV.

I just had to reply that my experience with the Frank, Ian & Co. has been the polar opposite of yours. I bought a Compass duffel and a double gusset Zip Top brief in Chocolate Shrunken, and then returned a year later for an Aiden duffel for short trips. Then to extend my range, I recently bought a small duffel, customized with a second inside pocket to double as a brief case or second travel or camera bag for longer trips. All chocolate shrunken. I have visited Fall River, met Frank and Ian & Co., looked at all the products in the show room and the work in process, and I have been very pleased at every turn, with the products and the service.

I have also met and liked the Glasier Designs people in San Francisco, and and liked their products but they never quite made me reach for my wallet like a Frank Clegg bag. I would not hesitate to buy whichever fits your personal style.

Also, I have the Frank Clegg wallet and other accessories. In short, I am a big fan.

sc

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads