• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well Done. I just checked out your blog and noticed that you primarily make pen cases. How long have you been doing this for? Nice work by the way. Do you collect pens as well?

I thought I would share some pictures of my latest briefcase restoration all of the stitching has been removed and replaced with red thread ( stitched by hand) to match the new red suede lining.

20170531_185445[1] by my0771, on Flickr

20170531_185532[1] by my0771, on Flickr

Here is a before picture this case is top left

DSC_0749[1] by my0771, on Flickr

This case is now good for another 50 years I will be offering these for sale I just have not worked out exactly how.

The full details of this restoration are on my blog.

Thanks

Michael

Last edited:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gather that Gion, the maker of Vass bags, uses Italian, vegetable tanned, full grain leather. Is there a general consensus on generic "Italian" leather compared to English leather or would more information be needed?

The prices are pretty good which makes we wonder about the quality of such leather, or perhaps the lower cost of labor is the reason for the great prices.

My63

Reaction score
Michael, what is your blog? Definitely interested in finding a vintage briefcase!
Hi Suitforcourt
This is my blog
my63leather.wordpress.com
Please let me know if I can help you with your search.
Michael

My63

Reaction score
Well Done. I just checked out your blog and noticed that you primarily make pen cases. How long have you been doing this for? Nice work by the way. Do you collect pens as well?

Thanks for visiting my blog
Pens have been a life long thing for me in 2004 I had a life changing accident and it meant that I had to learn to write again. As I had very little grip I rediscovered fountain pens. This lead to vintage fountain pens and their restoration. My wife bought me a writing slope to store my pens which in turn took me along the lines of restoration and making wooden boxes. I found this too heavy but as i had been using leather to line the boxes. I decided to have a go with leather rather than wood I think it was 2013 when I made my first leather case using kydex as a protective liner.
As far as pens go I prefer to think of myself as a user rather than a collector although I do have a lot to use :)

Michael

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for visiting my blog
Pens have been a life long thing for me in 2004 I had a life changing accident and it meant that I had to learn to write again. As I had very little grip I rediscovered fountain pens. This lead to vintage fountain pens and their restoration. My wife bought me a writing slope to store my pens which in turn took me along the lines of restoration and making wooden boxes. I found this too heavy but as i had been using leather to line the boxes. I decided to have a go with leather rather than wood I think it was 2013 when I made my first leather case using kydex as a protective liner.
As far as pens go I prefer to think of myself as a user rather than a collector although I do have a lot to use :)

Michael
Thanks for sharing your story. Sorry to hear about your accident. but glad to see you have found a new passion. Would love to see photos of the different pens you have and use, if you don't mind sharing.

ParkerPierpont

Reaction score
I gather that Gion, the maker of Vass bags, uses Italian, vegetable tanned, full grain leather. Is there a general consensus on generic "Italian" leather compared to English leather or would more information be needed?

The prices are pretty good which makes we wonder about the quality of such leather, or perhaps the lower cost of labor is the reason for the great prices.

Way more information needed.

Similar to asking if German cars are better, or if Japanese cars are better.

Better at what? Which Manufacturer? Which car?

My63

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your story. Sorry to hear about your accident. but glad to see you have found a new passion. Would love to see photos of the different pens you have and use, if you don't mind sharing.

I think it might be best if I post one of my favourites here and then find a more suitable thread here or I might post some on my blog.
This is a Danitrio fountain pen from japan it is hand made and decorated with many layers of Urushi lacquer and various metal powders. This pen has what I originally thought was a dragon but is actually a lion.

IMG_8151_1 by my0771, on Flickr

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it might be best if I post one of my favourites here and then find a more suitable thread here or I might post some on my blog.
This is a Danitrio fountain pen from japan it is hand made and decorated with many layers of Urushi lacquer and various metal powders. This pen has what I originally thought was a dragon but is actually a lion.

IMG_8151_1 by my0771, on Flickr

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing. Please do let me know which thread you end up posting the photos of your other pens in.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I narrowed down my choices of briefcases to these two items. Both similar priced and I think similar quality. Putting aside the colors, is one of them better constructed or using better leather?

http://www.narragansettleathers.com/brief.html

http://hrothgarstibbon.co.uk/product/the-salisbury-bridle-leather-briefcase/

black-satchel.jpg
LBriefcase.jpg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Design wise prefer the 1st one, finish looks better on the 2nd though...

ParkerPierpont

Reaction score
I think I narrowed down my choices of briefcases to these two items. Both similar priced and I think similar quality. Putting aside the colors, is one of them better constructed or using better leather?

http://www.narragansettleathers.com/brief.html

http://hrothgarstibbon.co.uk/product/the-salisbury-bridle-leather-briefcase/

View attachment 794827 View attachment 794828

The leather looks to be much cleaner on the bottom option. Additionally,the bottom one looks to have a much superior handle design, and almost universally looks more well thought-out.

It may be nice to have the leather shoulder strap and shoulder pad, too (depending on the way that you use your bag.)

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Just a couple that have come in, always fun to photograph

HERMES Sac a Depeches 2-41 Briefcase Attache Business Bag Tan LARGE 16" x 12"
13190_1.jpg
13190_2.jpg

13190_3.jpg

13190_4.jpg

13190_5.jpg

13190_6.jpg

13190_7.jpg

13190_8.jpg

13190_9.jpg

13190_10.jpg

13190_11.jpg

13190_12.jpg

13190_13.jpg

13190_14.jpg

SALVATORE FERRAGAMO Tan Beige Leather Briefcase Attache Bag - 15.75" x 11.75"
14371_1.jpg
14371_2.jpg

14371_3.jpg

14371_4.jpg

14371_5.jpg

14371_6.jpg

14371_7.jpg

14371_8.jpg

14371_9.jpg

PRESTO VTG Latch Lock Combo Briefcase Attache Business Bag LARGE - 18" x 13.5"
13608_1.jpg
13608_2.jpg

13608_3.jpg

13608_4.jpg

13608_5.jpg

13608_6.jpg

13608_8.jpg

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know who makes this? The photo is from the Pitti Street style gallery on the main page.

DSC1064.jpg

buy a painting

Reaction score
Does anyone know who makes this? The photo is from the Pitti Street style gallery on the main page.

DSC1064.jpg
I have a bag in similar design from Delvaux. It has a metal lock instead of soft closure. I believe they still offer it. Bit unpractical to lack any handle though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads