• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

peanutbutterjellychoo

Reaction score
It was probably around 100 to 200 pounds difference as compared to the pricing as listed on his etsy page now. When I purchased the case the GBP to my local currency was not very good. About 1 pound to 1.9 sgd. the exchange rate now is much more favourable to me at 1 pound to 1.7 sgd post brexit.

Another thing to note is that my bridle was older stock of his. Whereas the bridle he is using now for his new cases is from a new batch of leather that he has recently ordered. My understanding is that the leather is from the same source he has been using since day 1 so quality is always top notch.

peanutbutterjellychoo

Reaction score
I paid gbp 670 for my case and now the MTO cases are listed for gbp 830. At past exchange rate assuming 1.9, I paid sgd 1,273. At today's exchange rate assuming 1.7, I would pay sgd 1,411. That is a difference of sgd 138 which translates to gbp 81 in today's rates.

But then again, I got myself an extra gusset!!!! So if you want to compare apple to apple then you gotta reach out to Ray to ask how much he charges for an additional gusset. Then u can calculate the price increase more accuaraty from there.

In essence , his prices are still supremely competitive and you really can't get a comparable case anywhere else in the world in terms of quality to value ratio. Plus his customer service is great.

U also probably have to factor in the fact that he had an elbow surgery recently and that he was seriously considering retirement from cases making. It probably takes him a lot more pain and effort to stitch these cases so hence the upcharge I suppose.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks like Ray Clark raised his prices again? I believe when he re-launched recently they were in the $900's and now are selling for a hair over $1k. I'm guessing it's just supply and demand, but I do hate seeing him have to cross the thousand dollar threshold considering his bags used to sell in the mid $800's.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Who made? Looks nice.

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who made? Looks nice.

Local maker from northern part of my home country (Serbia) called Manual. Their tradition is tied to horse "equipment", but they switched to bags, purses, belts... 30 or so years ago. They claim they still use same robust tools that were used for sadles and such. I know little of leather crafts, so hard for me to say what is the value of that. I do know their stuff last at least 20 years (since I bought my first bag from them).
I left the design to them, I only chose color of leather.

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really a briefcase, but a travel bag (weekender). Christmas present from my wife.

Deo Veritas

Reaction score
Reaction score
Hi Jr Mouse - I've recently purchased the "more expensive" case from Ray and probably have some first hand experience. He has recently begun to use Sedgwick leather and that is probably the reason for the price increase.

I believe he is also now only taking small amount of orders.

As for the gusset, think part of the reason is the weight of the case as with Sedgwick leather, one gusset could probably add another 0.5kg easily - even with two gusset the case is quite heavy already.

Hope it helps.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suggestions and recommendations needed here.

I have a three gussets Frank Clegg zip-top briefcase that I use all the time when I travel and absolutely love it. I also ordered a zipper pouch that I also carry with me when I don't need the entire bag for brief meetings on the road.

That being said, when I am back in the office I find it the three gussets a bit too much for daily commute, and the leather pouch a bit too small. So I have been considering buying another smaller briefcase.

Since I was very impressed with FC so naturally I took a good look at their other offerings. Here's my questions:

Should I go for a double or single gusset briefcase or should I go for the slightly bigger portfolios?

Thanks!

peanutbutterjellychoo

Reaction score
Thanks for the great insight. Totally missed out that he is now using Sedgewick bridle. That would explain the slight markup in price.

peanutbutterjellychoo

Reaction score
Suggestions and recommendations needed here.

I have a three gussets Frank Clegg zip-top briefcase that I use all the time when I travel and absolutely love it. I also ordered a zipper pouch that I also carry with me when I don't need the entire bag for brief meetings on the road.

That being said, when I am back in the office I find it the three gussets a bit too much for daily commute, and the leather pouch a bit too small. So I have been considering buying another smaller briefcase.

Since I was very impressed with FC so naturally I took a good look at their other offerings. Here's my questions:

Should I go for a double or single gusset briefcase or should I go for the slightly bigger portfolios?

Thanks!
If money is not an issue than I would always go for the double. It just seems more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Also, I feel it does help that there is a piece to separate your laptop and work files. Allows you to have easier access when you want to quickly get out your stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads