• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

sinfjotli

Reaction score
Where do you guys get your leather bags from?

I am looking to replace the one I have. I would prefer a briefcase bag that can double as a sling bag too. Sorry if that offends any classic briefcase aficionados here, but I prefer to sling my bag than carry it in my hands :p

I am from Singapore though, so it would be good if shops can be found locally or shipping is not ridiculously expensive.

Are shops like fossil and coach reliable in terms of product quality and last?

I have a zip top briefcase from Lotuff Leather (http://www.lotuffleather.com/products/Leather-Zip-Top-Briefcase.html) that I am very happy with . Also check Frank Clegg Leatherworks (Lotuff uses some of his designs, though he works on his own now). Browse this thread for other makers.

Previously, I had messenger bags both from Fossil and Coach. The Fossil bag I cannot recommend. The leather which holded the strap tore apart after about 2 years, and overall the leather was not very nice. The Coach bag was nice (I sold it when I no longer needed a messenger bag, so I can't tell how long it would last), so if you can find one locally that you like, it might be a good choice. Although, you will most likely get better value for money from some of the smaller makers which get mentioned in this thread.

If you want to get specific recommendations, maybe you can post what your budget is and a picture of what style you'd like?

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just took possession of a Cartier gladstone/doctor's bag. Been hunting for one for eons -- deferred my purchases because they're horrendously heavy and impossible to use without sweating a little. Found a smaller sized one that is suitable for a couple days worth of stuff.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Just took possession of a Cartier gladstone/doctor's bag. Been hunting for one for eons -- deferred my purchases because they're horrendously heavy and impossible to use without sweating a little. Found a smaller sized one that is suitable for a couple days worth of stuff.

wow!
Is the frame rigid / firm?
Looks like it can store a week worth of shoes. :)

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wow!
Is the frame rigid / firm?
Looks like it can store a week worth of shoes. :)

It's firm but not rigid like the monstrously heavy and rigid SAB Gladstone below :) The Cartier probably looks a little bigger than in real life. Fits two pairs of shoes and a couple changes of clothes.

Last edited:

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yesterday I placed an order for a bespoke briefcase with George Cleverley to be made from their 1786 Russian tanned leather. They estimated a 2-3 month time frame to make the piece. Now I just need to practice patience!! :D

I received an email that my briefcase has been shipped, now I just hope it doesn't get held up in customs.... :happy:

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's a beautiful bag, I love the hardware on top!

casemaker

Reaction score
The very nice, interesting bag from Cartier, built on a German Neeb & Kuhn KIT FRAME, these are 'KIT BAGS' not Gladstone bags.

From my Collection, a poor condition GLADSTONE BAG,

The Gladstone frame allows the bag to fold open from the base, into two halves, usually there is a board to separate the two halves of the bag, for easier packing/unpacking. The Gusset would allow the bag to concertina at the top, the base usually being stiffened. In Victorian and early 20th century luggage, frames were split into 4 catagories, GLADSTONE, KIT, BRIEF BAG and CASH OR BULLION BAG FRAMES.

From an early 20th cent catalogue, one page of many, variations of KIT BAGS available, prices have gone up though :)

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
"poor condition"? i'd take that busted up gladstone any day. and i love the old catalogue - "super cowhide," "superior" and "best" do you have an idea why they described it like that? is that the leather grade?

casemaker

Reaction score
Poor condition, because it had not been 'fed' before I got it, the leather had dryed out, giving rise to 'red rot', the leather becomes powdery. You can stop it there, but not reverse it. Some of the stitching has gone, and the handle needs to be replaced. But I knew all that when I bought it, mostly as an example of a Gladstone, and for its pattern, should I ever need it.

I think you are right, those will be leather quality terms. I got to photocopy pages from a couple of old catalogues that the Cordwaines college in london had in their library. The college is now sadly closed down, a short sighted government decision.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

No pics, but I do own it [Hulme slim portfolio] in the heritage leather, or whatever they call the high end beat-up stuff. IMO, it ages gracefully. Of course, if you want something impeccable, this won't be it.
One addition I'd make is that the outside pocket without the zipper is starting to stretch out of shape. Or else, the pocket is fine but the rest of the bag is stretching around it. I've been thinking about getting a slightly deeper bag anyway, and now I believe I'll also have to go for a different design on the handles. Something like the Glaser day bag, or the Clegg zip-top ones, where the handles are on the very outside.

Last edited:

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The George Cleverley Russian Leather case arrived today....

Longmorn

Reaction score
That is a stunningly beautiful case. The subtle variations in the hide are mesmerizing. Congrats.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads