• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase / manbag thickness

computerpro3

Reaction score
I will be ordering a Glaser Designs flaptop bag in a couple of days, but am absolutely agonizing over the thickness. I will be using it primarily for school, and this is the absolute most I'll be carrying this in it:

14in Laptop (sometimes)
One or two textbooks along with the laptop
Sheet music (not much, very thin)
Extra cell phone battery
flashlight
pens and pencils

I am 5'7 tall and the 6 inch thickness of the 17in bag sounds really huge. Plus, I won't be carrying my laptop everyday. The A4 bag seems much better thickness wise, but I'm not sure if it has enough room in it for everything. I will be walking a lot with the bags, so weight and size do matter to me.

If anyone has practical experiences with bags of similar thickness I'd love to hear your opinion.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In America, 17" seem to be the norm. The English, French and Italian manufacturers all offer 15" briefcases in many of their catalogs. I don't use a hard case but a soft messenger canvass/leather bag for all my needs, and I prefer 15" or smaller. The ideal for me is actually 13" but only a few manufacturers make "men" cases in this size. Guys carry way too much crap these days.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't believe Ed is on vacation for this one!

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by computerpro3
I will be ordering a Glaser Designs flaptop bag in a couple of days, but am absolutely agonizing over the thickness.

i am told that a relaxed state of mind, plenty of astroglide, and most importantly, a high-fibre diet, can help significantly.

computerpro3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
i am told that a relaxed state of mind, plenty of astroglide, and most importantly, a high-fibre diet, can help significantly.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by computerpro3
Well when me and you tried that, I wound up earning my "brown wings".....think you had a bit too much fiber.

here we go again -- the irrational SF infatuation with brown wingtips, at any cost, and no matter what the rest of the ensemble.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with 4" or 5" and not 6"

6" is too big for you

computerpro3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1
I would go with 4" or 5" and not 6" 6" is too big for you
NorCal, I remember you saying how much you liked the hand burnished espresso and that you've seen it in person. How accurate are the pictures on the sight to the color of it? It looks really beautiful but I'm concerned it will be too dark initially - I enjoy that buttery soft luxurious look. I don't want "saddle brown". Do you own a glaser in that color? Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads