• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not JE Sedgwicks leather, they say " Traditional English (Devonshire) vegetable tanned bridle leather"

Thank Simon. From what I understand in this review here, he used to use Baker but switched to JE Sedgwick. The color choices available for the briefcases are also consistent with their listed bridles on their site here. Big fan of your work, btw.

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Your opinions may differ

yes they do, but i appreciate your words.

as it pertains to defining my style, let me be clear for the new comers, i have dozens of different briefcase styles from rustic to traditional English refined briefcases. I use Sedgewick bridle, which is now owned by Claytons and also Herman Oak and W&C, i prefer the American, i have my reasons if interested. All are equal in quality.

This is ridiculous. You have no right to demand that another company's products be kept a secret.

I'm American and I'll demand what I want

I say it again in case you missed it - it was more about respect one maker to the other

now for your little "some businesses take pride in their suppliers and want their customers to know where the components they use come from" bit

- i openly give my sources as i did above and through my website

but, i don't give out trade secrets or details on how to replicate my hard work. only one who benefits from that is other makers that want to profit on another's work

do you give out your real secrets of success?

nothing good comes free or cheap

Back to briefcases. I just finished an Alligator briefcase for a client that i told @Sarkozy i was working on at the trunkshow in NYC. BTW, he makes some really nice leather goods with gator out of Italy.

here is my American Alligator classic style briefcase in black matte. All hand stitched, brass hardware, red Italian calf lined suede, gator with bridle lined front straps and double side gator shoulder strap.

This thing used 3 full size alligators. All American made, except the lock of course but it's from England so it's just as good. I love making my briefcases special and this is one of them. If i get some time next year i will go on one of them hunting trips and catch my own so i can make a really really special briefcase. For now i let the experts do it.

It's called the Marshal 1251

OmarDubaibanker

Reaction score

yes they do, but i appreciate your words. 
The full bag used 3 alligators?? Wth

as it pertains to defining my style, let me be clear for the new comers, i have dozens of different briefcase styles from rustic to traditional English refined briefcases.  I use Sedgewick bridle, which is now owned by Claytons and also Herman Oak and W&C, i prefer the American, i have my reasons if interested.  All are equal in quality. 

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The full bag used 3 alligators?? Wth
it could be 4 if the middle section is made from gator. In that one i just posted the middle divider is made from Sedgwick / Clayton bridle leather. it gives it some nice stability and like most of my bags help to stand on its own. Gator is one of the hardest leathers to work with because of its delicate nature and expense. Unlike working with smaller items, there is no room for mistake when cutting a briefcase of this size and detail. No hides are perfect so you are always cutting around scars and needing to make that whole bag balanced and uniform. All craftsman at all levels make mistakes. When working with large parts of gator 1 small mistake could cost big. attention to detail is essential.

Quote:
you asked about the single piece accordion gusset here is a style we just put up with that feature and my signature Marcellino latch in brass

The Franklin 2025

Kai V

Reaction score
Recently completed bespoke briefcase for a very happy client.
Lovely Horween leather fully lined with Italian suit wool.
Completely hand sewn, and I make all of the handles and buckles as well using solid brass and hardwoods. This one features American walnut and BC maple.
The inserts are fully removable so you can turn the briefcase into an overnighter.
The matching strap is padded and lined with the same Italian wool and a custom made buckle.
Check it out...

Impression

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I hope this is the right thread to ask this : I found a Dunhill Bourdon briefcase on Grailed, but as this is the fourth one this particular seller sells, I am a bit wary. He's in the US, I spoke with him and he's really articulate and willing to help, and his explanation regarding why he is selling so much Dunhill briefcases seems legit, but I wanna be completely sure before buying. I am not wealthy and would hate to buy a fake.

Here are the pictures :

Thanks a lot for your help!

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
xpost from the manbag thread where I didn't get any traction. Looking for any input on Skytop cases (see below). Given that they appear to be of excellent quality and a reasonable aesthetic, I'm surprised I haven't seen more about them on the forum.

I've been looking for an office briefcase / laptop bag that's not formal but still office/client presentable (think more sport coat than suit, if you get my drift). I wanted something reasonably slim and I think I still want leather.

I thought I had settled on the Fat Carter by La Portegna (here in Sol brown):

But then lo and behold I stumbled across this thread about Skytop's Pullman briefcase. While the Pullman was bigger than what I wanted I was totally awestruck by the construction and quality. After visiting their website, I found that they've since come out with a slimmer "Telegraph" model. I think I'm head over heels in love with it in Whiskey:

I'm going to give myself a day or two to cool off, but I'm really thinking that's "the one". Skytop has some videos of their products and they just seem to be of super high quality and (for me) split the middle between professional formal and casual.

Still, I'm fishing for anyone's input - anything similar out there and/or anyone with a Skytop that can comment on them?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads