• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

haloitsme

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I am currently in the market for a (classic) alligator/crocodile bag - preferably a briefcase.
Should have:
1. Detachable Strap
2. 2 Handles
3. 1-2 Zippers, maybe on the front also like Berluti to put stuff.
4. Smaller scales that fade to the outside (somehow I like porous and Crocodylus novaeguineae).
5. Need to hold a 14-inch laptop and some stuff. Preferably not too heavy.

Can someone share some insights into what to look for? Craftsmanship, colors, finishes, etc.
I would prefer dark blue or brown. Do not need to be matt or nubuck, as it stains very fast.
What is the go-to finish there? Semi-Matt or glossy?

Somehow I like this Stefano Ricci bag:
(Smaller scales and very symmetrical)

I would appreciate pictures :)

Thx

sclemmons

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I am currently in the market for a (classic) alligator/crocodile bag - preferably a briefcase.
Should have:
1. Detachable Strap
2. 2 Handles
4. Smaller scales that fade to the outside (somehow I like porous and Crocodylus novaeguineae).

Can someone share some insights into what to look for? Craftsmanship, colors, finishes, etc.
I would prefer dark blue or brown. Do not need to be matt or nubuck, as it stains very fast.

Thx
alligator-briefcase-frank-clegg-zip-top-briefcase-chocolate-1.jpg

Frank Clegg is ready when you are. "In stock and ready to ship" per the website. I have the chocolate shrunken leather version of this bag, with a double gusset (two zippers) and the matching duffel and goatskin wash bag, and they have served me very well. Good luck with your process. Pics at the link below. Frank and his boys will do whatever you want if you get in touch, or better yet, make an appointment to visit them in Fall River. That is what I did.

Last edited:

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Should have:
1. Detachable Strap
2. 2 Handles

Thx
I would talk to Chester Mox about doing a bespoke commission. I can vouch for the quality of their craftsmanship.

haloitsme

Reaction score
alligator-briefcase-frank-clegg-zip-top-briefcase-chocolate-1.jpg

Frank Clegg is ready when you are. "In stock and ready to ship" per the website. I have the chocolate shrunken leather version of this bag, with a double gusset (two zippers) and the matching duffel and goatskin wash bag, and they have served me very well. Good luck with your process. Pics at the link below. Frank and his boys will do whatever you want if you get in touch, or better yet, make an appointment to visit them in Fall River. That is what I did.

Thank you for the info :). But I was more looking at other people who got to get inspired by color, alligator/crocodile shape, how the handles are made, and how they have done the edging (paint vs layer of leather). Semi Handstitched vs. Full-machine, etc.
But I have to say your bags are also pleasing ;).

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Excellent work here from Chester Mox. I’m sure this was a pricey commission. :colgate:

juanandresqo

Reaction score
I was looking for the perfect leather briefcase for the coming year. You know, a briefcase can say everything about you when you're in a business meeting.

I prefer a slim briefcase with a large main compartment. I carry everywhere with my MacBook Pro, iPad Air, headphones, notebook, and other essentials. I'm a bit obsessive about organization, when I travel I like to have several divisors where I can put everything and find my gadgets handly. Which other features do you think I should consider?

jbc247

Reaction score
I was looking for the perfect leather briefcase for the coming year. You know, a briefcase can say everything about you when you're in a business meeting.

I prefer a slim briefcase with a large main compartment. I carry everywhere with my MacBook Pro, iPad Air, headphones, notebook, and other essentials. I'm a bit obsessive about organization, when I travel I like to have several divisors where I can put everything and find my gadgets handly. Which other features do you think I should consider?

do y’all customize your bags?

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a good point. In the face of the massive move towards casualization across menswear, a quality bag offers an opportunity to maintain a high-quality accoutrement without seeming too “CM”. For example, a Frank Clegg bag might fit in at a tech company in a way that a Canali SC might not.

Re: some of the points made upthread, I find a certain obsessive attraction to some fine leather bags independent of the number of times I might use them. It's the beauty of the materials, craftsmanship, and design often found in this category, something that is becoming increasingly rare in many other menswear categories. It's a bit like the gravitational pull that some watches have on me, despite having 12 watches and a five watch regular rotation.

But if we weren't a little bit obsessive we probably wouldn't be on this Board.

Last edited:

podz

Reaction score

Full-grain leather without a doubt. You want it to be stiff enough that it won't flop over. I recommend two compartments only - one large main compartment and one smaller "front" compartment. You can put your own organisers inside the bag. For example, I have a leather macbook sleeve inside the main compartment and then I just stash chargers, cables and power banks outside of that. I also have a hand-held "man bag" which holds a few pairs of glasses, a wallet, a phone and a few ink pens and I just put that in the main compartment as well. In the front compartment, I normally stash papers and a second phone.

Kreo

Reaction score
The launch date is set for the first week of August. Just wrapping up photos and videos.
I bought some "one of a kind" pieces as part of the Black Friday Sale and they were phenomenal! However, I noticed you pulled them all off your website around mid-December even though you had some additional remaining pieces. Will you bring them back in the future?

fazalmajid

Reaction score

Heh. I have one of your Tamarao backpacks, and one of your tech organizers in leather. I'd suggest you get a single-gusset or dual-gusset briefcase and rely on organizers for the rest. You do want one that is stiff enough to stand on its own, floppy is not a good look in a briefcase.

stuessi

Reaction score
Theyre great value for money imo. Custom is definitely affordable. Here're the prices I paid.

You're basically able to customise whatever you like: size, buckles (both types and colour/metal), shoulder strap, gussets, colours, type of leather etc).
View attachment 1820758
@Gio
Thanks for the info! May I ask when you placed the order and if you know whether those prices are still valid?
Theyre great value for money imo. Custom is definitely affordable. Here're the prices I paid.

You're basically able to customise whatever you like: size, buckles (both types and colour/metal), shoulder strap, gussets, colours, type of leather etc).
View attachment 1820758
Thank you for the info! Bag looks great and prices seems very reasonable! @GIONBagBudapest are those prices still valid?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads