• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Assuming you're still looking for a fairly traditional briefcase aesthetic, I would *strongly* recommend talking with Charlie at @Equus Leather.

Wonderful guy, great craftsman, and loves working on full bespoke commissions.

Only caveat is you'd definitely have to go above your price point – although maybe a simplified interior would help with that? And I'm quite confident you WOULD really love it.

Thanks for the rec. Bags don't excite me in quite the same way cloth does, but this is certainly worth considering.

veloaudio

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone here had any suggestions. I currently have a Clegg briefcase and I like it, but its design doesn't match my current needs. With all of its compartments, it is great for organizing papers, a computer, and other small things, but that's not what I need right now. I am looking for a briefcase with a bigger compartment. I want to be able to carry a packed lunch, a water bottle, a computer, a book, and maybe some other smaller things. I don't need a separate compartment for the computer. One big compartment would be good. Surprisingly, I can't really seem to find anything that matches my needs. I don't want anything as big as a duffle (I want a bag that is easy to carry) and I want something that closes fully on top so things don't fall out, rain doesn't get in, and pickpockets can't reach in (so not most totes; I am also not a huge fan of the tote look).

Does anyone here have suggestions? I am at something of a loss here.

I have seen some stuff from Acate that looks nice, but most stores only seem to have strange colors in stock right now and I'm not sure I want to spend 1,500+ on a bag unless I really love it. (Also don't know what Acate's reputation is.) Perhaps just thinking about asking Clegg to make a briefcase with less stuff inside, but not sure whether they can accommodate that request right now and not sure how much extra they charge for special requests.
Not sure if it is the vibe you are going for but the Bexar Satchel might fit your needs:

Bexar Bags

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Not sure if it is the vibe you are going for but the Bexar Satchel might fit your needs:

Bexar Bags

Hmmm...hadn't heard of them before. The look isn't quite doing it for me and I'm not crazy about the logo on the bags, but that general design is the sort of thing I'm looking for.

I have a Frank Clegg Small Duffel as well as Frank’s Tall Tote. Either of these might work for you.

The tote doesn't have a closure on top, so that won't work. The duffle might be a good choice. I'll definitely have to think about it. Does the duffle have a rigid bottom? If so, that would be a bit annoying considering the added width (I think they perplexingly call it "depth") of a duffle. I find that wider bags are a bit more annoying to carry long distances as one's arm can't hang straight down.

Another question for anyone who might know. I'm a big fan of suede and they seem to offer this bag in suede and that is tempting. Does suede work well for bags? And does this bag have a suede bottom? I worry about a suede bag getting dirty when I put it down on transit or elsewhere. I also worry about suede not protecting the contents of a bag from water as well. I have a lot of suede shoes, and in my experience they get wetter in the rain than other leathers do.

You sure about that? ?

Yeah, I mean that's obviously a very nice bag. I can intellectually appreciate nice leather goods, they just don't excite me as much. Part of it is a textural thing. I love texture, so leathers with more texture--suedes, interesting grains, etc.--do excite me more than smooth leathers. I also just get more excited by things I wear. Nice furniture doesn't do a ton for me either.

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Hmmm...hadn't heard of them before. The look isn't quite doing it for me and I'm not crazy about the logo on the bags, but that general design is the sort of thing I'm looking for.

The tote doesn't have a closure on top, so that won't work. The duffle might be a good choice. I'll definitely have to think about it. Does the duffle have a rigid bottom? If so, that would be a bit annoying considering the added width (I think they perplexingly call it "depth") of a duffle. I find that wider bags are a bit more annoying to carry long distances as one's arm can't hang straight down.

Another question for anyone who might know. I'm a big fan of suede and they seem to offer this bag in suede and that is tempting. Does suede work well for bags? And does this bag have a suede bottom? I worry about a suede bag getting dirty when I put it down on transit or elsewhere. I also worry about suede not protecting the contents of a bag from water as well. I have a lot of suede shoes, and in my experience they get wetter in the rain than other leathers do.

Yeah, I mean that's obviously a very nice bag. I can intellectually appreciate nice leather goods, they just don't excite me as much. Part of it is a textural thing. I love texture, so leathers with more texture--suedes, interesting grains, etc.--do excite me more than smooth leathers. I also just get more excited by things I wear. Nice furniture doesn't do a ton for me either.

Fair enough and mainly just messing around.

But…possibly Charlie's favorite leather to work with is a wonderful re-creation of the Metta Catharina Russian leather from J&FJ Baker:

_dsc5447.jpg

Pretty incredible texture there.

sclemmons

Reaction score

My Clegg Tall Tote is sunbrella lined and zips shut. I feel certain that Frank or Ian Clegg can answer all your questions and make almost any bag in almost any leather in stock. I use the Terrago Nano Protector spray and it works very well on suede. I do prefer the chocolate shrunken or goat skin for the grain and almost ageless durability.

singlechange

Reaction score
Some nice briefcases shown here...but I prefer this vintage GLASER DESIGNS CO bag that gets better looking year after years of use.

Attachments

• IMG_0117 2.JPG
    IMG_0117 2.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 146

Leander walker

Reaction score
Cannot go wrong with Swaine Adeney or Equus. Both source all the leathers and fittings from the UK and the quality is impeccable. Tusting is also all made in the UK , a much lower price point but more casual looking business cases and an excellent value / quality ratio. Ettinger cases are superb quality but they clearly are moving away from traditional designs to chase a hipsteri-millenial consumer

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Fair enough and mainly just messing around.

But…possibly Charlie's favorite leather to work with is a wonderful re-creation of the Metta Catharina Russian leather from J&FJ Baker:

_dsc5447.jpg

Pretty incredible texture there.

That is a very nice leather. I have seen it before and remember it. I'll probably get a wallet in it some day. However, I don't want to seem picky here (and I don't think this matters as much with wallets and other smaller accessories) but--and I could be wrong--I can't help but feel that such a leather is more autumnal and wintery and would look a bit weird next to linen in the summer. Maybe I'm wrong, though. Maybe I'm not picturing things quite right. And this isn't meant as a knock. I think there is something nice in the idea of seasonal briefcases. That's just not in the cards for me right now.

My Clegg Tall Tote is sunbrella lined and zips shut. I feel certain that Frank or Ian Clegg can answer all your questions and make almost any bag in almost any leather in stock. I use the Terrago Nano Protector spray and it works very well on suede. I do prefer the chocolate shrunken or goat skin for the grain and almost ageless durability.

This is helpful. Still not sure I am a fan of totes. (I know many on here will say I'm picky--and I am to some extent--but I am basically just looking for a decent briefcase with a big internal compartment and I don't think that should be so hard to come by.) I tried reaching Clegg the other day and will try again.

Cannot go wrong with Swaine Adeney or Equus. Both source all the leathers and fittings from the UK and the quality is impeccable. Tusting is also all made in the UK , a much lower price point but more casual looking business cases and an excellent value / quality ratio. Ettinger cases are superb quality but they clearly are moving away from traditional designs to chase a hipsteri-millenial consumer

SAB is too formal for me and my lifestyle and it doesn't match my aesthetic. Also outside of what I am looking to spend. Tusting looks not so great to my eye (aesthetically, not talking about quality). Also not a fan of branding. Ettinger...it's hard to see whether they meet my space requirements. I find it surprising that so many of the places that sell bags don't give you good pictures of their interiors. Also, I think their bags are merely aesthetically okay.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a slim briefcase being made, should have pictures soon.

This is a larger model, might be of interest for some of you guys.

bjhofkin

Reaction score

I don't really mean to throw a bomb here but I can't help myself…I would absolutely not put SAB and Equus in the same sentence. Maybe SAB a few decades ago…but not today. :hide:

ciceroyeah

Reaction score
I don't really mean to throw a bomb here but I can't help myself…I would absolutely not put SAB and Equus in the same sentence. Maybe SAB a few decades ago…but not today. :hide:

This is very true. Equus does everything by hand, absolutely phenomenal craftsmanship and the very best available leathers. Functional artwork.

Swaine Adeney is excellent and is one of a very few heritage firms still offering classic designs, but a considerable portion of their offerings feature mostly machine stitching, and other than colour, SAB bridle leather offers relatively little variety.

Leander walker

Reaction score
I have quite a few briefcases, mostl of which Ieither manufactured in England or France. Most recent purchase was a Swaine Adeney lid over body attache in a beautiful jaguar green. I can say the quality is outstanding, the stitching even, the framework sturdy. The handle is still made of several layers of leather and is quite durable and comfortable. It looks every bit the quality of my 20 year old london tan top frame case made by Swaine Adeney. I am glad at least a few British leather goods manufacturers that make traditional and lovely items still survive. Simpsons,which made wonderful products under their own name and for companies like Ben Silver , sadly went out of business a couple of years ago. And "British" companies like Church's,Asprey,Burberry, Dunhill and others actually have their briefcases made in Italy

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads