• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

JunyangNg

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! It is quite unfathomable for me that a business would be uncontactable for 3 weeks though. They have been updating their Facebook page, but did not reply me there either. I placed an order, which was shown to be in-stock, but I have heard nothing more from them. Would anyone be able to help? :(

Got an email from Ian of Frank Clegg yesterday who explained the reason for the hold-up.Relieved to hear that things are in order! ;)

lboom

Reaction score
Hey all! I'm based in Australia and looking to buy a briefcase, which I've narrowed down to the Linjer (580 AUD) or the Palissy (780 AUD). I've seen earlier in this thread that one person mentioned the Palissy is likely better quality, and I'm curious as to which you guys think is a better deal at the price points above.

Haven't managed to find many sources which compare worksmanship / leather quality of the two, so would greatly appreciate any wisdom from this thread!

Cheers

blingsley

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m new to the briefcase game and stumbled across the Palmgrens 1896 single gusset briefcase. I love it’s simplistic design but does anyone have any experience with the brand...and if so was it good/negative? Thanks in advance!

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this design is busier than I normally like

Etsy from some Romanian guy so I can’t return it anyway I’m too lazy to ever change from my main everyday case so I don’t know why I buy so many briefcases

Attachments

• C7D71460-DAD3-4746-8ADA-90741A22FE74.jpeg
    C7D71460-DAD3-4746-8ADA-90741A22FE74.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 99964378-1EDA-43D2-82D4-010AD589EA50.jpeg
    99964378-1EDA-43D2-82D4-010AD589EA50.jpeg
    323.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 56907DF2-27BC-44D8-8600-8707E34B0D0E.jpeg
    56907DF2-27BC-44D8-8600-8707E34B0D0E.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 41A3AA2F-5AB6-40FD-90C2-F7CD5AD5B250.jpeg
    41A3AA2F-5AB6-40FD-90C2-F7CD5AD5B250.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 183
  • 3101DDFA-5D1C-4039-8A98-3A531B278360.jpeg
    3101DDFA-5D1C-4039-8A98-3A531B278360.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 179

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m too lazy to ever change from my main everyday case so I don’t know why I buy so many briefcases

I can relate. I picked up a simple, bridle leather single gusset case from Narragansett several years ago. It lasted one trip with air travel before I went back to my Filson 256. I loved it but it was a hair too tall to fit well under the seat and I didn't want to beat it up. I keep thinking I should sell it as its been sitting for years now and I don't see myself leaving the house any time soon for work anyway.

Nick94

Reaction score
Budgert up tp 1500 euros, interested in bridle leather. Hroghgar or Lefren?

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Budgert up tp 1500 euros, interested in bridle leather. Hroghgar or Lefren?
Tough choice, with a good result either way. A deep dive on Hroghgar:

I found it helpful understanding the purchaser's uses/ features decision making approach.

Please let us know which way you go, and why.

Nick94

Reaction score
Thank you so much for you response. I have watched the video already and i was really impressed by the craftmanship of Hrothgar. I've contacted Lefren and they have been pretty responsive to all my questions without any delay, so i give them that.TThey are using shoulder leather and 5 stiches per inch. Now, i have to contact H. Stibbons and see what they offer. Any more recommendationsa are welcome.

ErikW

Reaction score
This is my review about my Hrothgar briefcase: https://www.reddit.com/r/malefashio...iew_hrothgar_stibbons_custom_briefcase_frank/

"Roth" was great to work with - I'm now trying to get him to build an art case for my wife.

Thank you so much for you response. I have watched the video already and i was really impressed by the craftmanship of Hrothgar. I've contacted Lefren and they have been pretty responsive to all my questions without any delay, so i give them that.TThey are using shoulder leather and 5 stiches per inch. Now, i have to contact H. Stibbons and see what they offer. Any more recommendationsa are welcome.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Leander walker

Reaction score
The Stibbons briefcase is gorgeous. It's so heartening that there are still companies in the UK that are still making traditionally. Styled,and exquisitely made briefcases like this one. So many of these firms have gone out of business. The casualization of business has taken a toll on these companies. But you just can't compare carrying your files and papers in a nylon backpack as opposed to a stunning briefcase as this one

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can relate. I picked up a simple, bridle leather single gusset case from Narragansett several years ago. It lasted one trip with air travel before I went back to my Filson 256. I loved it but it was a hair too tall to fit well under the seat and I didn't want to beat it up. I keep thinking I should sell it as its been sitting for years now and I don't see myself leaving the house any time soon for work anyway.

Narragansett does great work for the prices they charge. I like their designs. They don't get talked about enough around here.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw there is someone in Singapore here! I have a buddy who has a Swaine Adeney briefcase that is in Singapore right now and a leather piece connecting the handle to the briefcase broke. Any advice for him on how to get it fixed? I think Swaine Adeney customer service for people outside London is not what it used to be.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads