• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

Tailoredforbrogues

Reaction score
Has anyone also had a terrible experience with Rutherford's of England?

Back in 2017, I commissioned a briefcase, paid, and have never received it. After months of unresponsive, slow, and generally lackluster customer service they agreed to refund the amount to me over a year ago. They have still never refunded me, do not answer emails, and give me the runaround when I call.

The products look amazing online but I would highly discourage anyone from buying from Rutherford's at this point.

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
By popular demand, here's a briefcase thread. Post up your pics.

Here is mine.

Samsonite%2Bapril%2B2020%2B1.jpg

I am guessing this one is not very high on the hierarchy of leather briefcase makers.

Samsonite%2Bapril%2B2020%2B2.jpg

Samsonite

Samsonite%2Bapril%2B2020%2B3.jpg

It is pretty functional

Samsonite%2Bapril%2B2020%2B5.jpg

As far as A4 goes and various other pens and pencils...

Samsonite%2Bapril%2B2020%2B6.jpg

But little else of value )

Samsonite%2Bapril%2B2020%2B7.jpg

that was a bottle of Dvin, Winnie's favorite swill from 1943 onwards, a bottle a day, 400 bottles a year, allegedly that is

Last edited:

Kalec

Reaction score
Any idea why lefren.com is down?

It comes up with a "502 bad gateway".

Leander walker

Reaction score
Great looking classic British bridle leather briefcase. They last for many years and always look great. The London tan color,which you have,develops a beautiful patina with age. You can never go wrong with one of these briefcases

Wren

Reaction score

Back in 2017, I commissioned a briefcase, paid, and have never received it. After months of unresponsive, slow, and generally lackluster customer service they agreed to refund the amount to me over a year ago. They have still never refunded me, do not answer emails, and give me the runaround when I call.

The products look amazing online but I would highly discourage anyone from buying from Rutherford's at this point.

Hi there, I'm a new member. Just happened to be browsing the various threads when I saw this. Thought I should chime in about my experience with Rutherfords too.

I ordered a custom music bag from them in 2016. Didn't receive anything. Each time I called they would give me different reasons for the delay (e.g. busy trying to handle bigger orders from Japan, theft in the workshop, owner fell ill). Eventually, they agreed to refund me my deposit, which was half the total cost, in late 2018. But the money never reached me despite them claiming that they have completed the refund process. After a few emails they just went MIA completely. I would caution people against ordering from them in case the same problem happens.

Last edited:

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi there, I'm a new member. Just happened to be browsing the various threads when I saw this. Thought I should chime in about my experience with Rutherfords too.

I ordered a custom music bag from them in 2016. Didn't receive anything. Each time I called they would give me different reasons for the delay (e.g. busy trying to handle bigger orders from Japan, theft in the workshop, owner fell ill). Eventually, they agreed to refund me my deposit, which was half the total cost, in late 2018. But the money never reached me despite them claiming that they have completed the refund process. After a few emails they just went MIA completely. I would caution people against ordering from them in case the same problem happens.

Could you guys post some e-mail messages as a proof of this? You both have very low post count and have joined the forum recently from what I can tell .. These are serious allegations ..

I had numerous custom orders considering both the briefcases and folios from Rutherford's exactly in 2016 and 2017 and everything went fine ..

Wren

Reaction score
Could you guys post some e-mail messages as a proof of this? You both have very low post count and have joined the forum recently from what I can tell .. These are serious allegations ..

I had numerous custom orders considering both the briefcases and folios from Rutherford's exactly in 2016 and 2017 and everything went fine ..

I can see where you are coming from. I would be suspicious as well of new users posting such reviews.

I have screenshots of the email conversations. But I am not keen to share it on a public forum since I do not have the permission of the the other party. If anyone is interested, I am happy to send those screenshots over private messaging.

I will make an important note though. In my post, I have been very careful to avoid any suggestions of malicious intent. I am aware that there could have been multiple potential reasons for me not receiving my refund. But that was ultimately what happened and I posted about it just for people who are looking to order their own leather bags.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see where you are coming from. I would be suspicious as well of new users posting such reviews.

I have screenshots of the email conversations. But I am not keen to share it on a public forum since I do not have the permission of the the other party. If anyone is interested, I am happy to send those screenshots over private messaging.

I will make an important note though. In my post, I have been very careful to avoid any suggestions of malicious intent. I am aware that there could have been multiple potential reasons for me not receiving my refund. But that was ultimately what happened and I posted about it just for people who are looking to order their own leather bags.

Yes, please, feel free to send me the screenshots of the email conversations via private message here on Styleforum.

There are absolutely no "potential reasons" for not receiving your refund If you paid for the product and haven't received it for whatever reason, the refund is a must.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update: Just so it doesn't end up that Wren went silent on this, I have received the e-mail screenshots and I am really bugged with the situation.

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hi, I have a new Santoni Black Grained Leather Briefcase for sale. It has a perfectly sized classic shape, made of durable and supple full grain calf leather hand treated with a broken-in appearance that'll pick up a nice patina over time. If you are interested feel free to reach out.
Santoni Briefcase.jpg
santoni-Black-Work-Bags.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads