• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

Emospence

Reaction score
Been away from the forum for a while - Ray Clark retired for good? If so, I'm extra glad I got my briefcase from him when I did!

Paid like 1,400 Singapore dollars for it - pretty ridiculous pricing, looking back.

On another note, I can't seem to remember if I got Australian Nut or Havana - can anyone tell from the picture?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks like Havana to me.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I think it might be a matter of methods. Am I right that at one point in time SAB briefcases were hand-stitched?

They tend to have hand stitched handles still, but Ive never seen one in my lifetime that was hand stitched else where, they have invariably been machine stitched

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Been away from the forum for a while - Ray Clark retired for good? If so, I'm extra glad I got my briefcase from him when I did!

Paid like 1,400 Singapore dollars for it - pretty ridiculous pricing, looking back.

On another note, I can't seem to remember if I got Australian Nut or Havana - can anyone tell from the picture?

If its English Bridle it will be Aus Nut - too red and too light for Havanna

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They tend to have hand stitched handles still, but Ive never seen one in my lifetime that was hand stitched else where, they have invariably been machine stitched
I think that is correct. If the bag had a hand-stitched handle it would use the SAB label while if the handle was machine-made it would use the Papworth label.

ceriano

Reaction score
Frank clegg English brief in maroon and black
344CEEEC-1852-451A-8792-C6ACB2F79308.jpeg

MPS

Reaction score
Update on Rutherfords - I ordered March 2021. They claim to have shipped 3 weeks ago and gave me a bogus UPS tracking number 1 week ago. When I asked for a copy of their correspondence with UPS as proof of shipping, they tell me that they don’t ship directly, but use a 3rd party (who presumably don’t offer proof of collection)……I am not alone: others here have experienced similar. The team
at Rutherfords are by far and away the most deceitful people I have ever dealt with.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems time to file a police report…that’s just theft

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update on Rutherfords - I ordered March 2021. They claim to have shipped 3 weeks ago and gave me a bogus UPS tracking number 1 week ago. When I asked for a copy of their correspondence with UPS as proof of shipping, they tell me that they don’t ship directly, but use a 3rd party (who presumably don’t offer proof of collection)……I am not alone: others here have experienced similar. The team
at Rutherfords are by far and away the most deceitful people I have ever dealt with.

Credit card chargeback?

MPS

Reaction score
Credit card chargeback?

This is only usually possible within 3 months, though there are clauses to cover situations like this and I have taken the matter up with my credit card company.

I have also reported Rutherfords England to the local office of fair trading and to https://www.econsumer.gov/

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is only usually possible within 3 months, but I have taken this up with them and the local office of fair trading.

Ya it depends. 60 day legal minimum, but I think some go to 120.

MPS

Reaction score
Ya it depends. 60 day legal minimum, but I think some go to 120.

Have updated my post. There are clauses for businesses like Rutherfords (i.e. who push back delivery dates) which extends the period you can claim by up to 540 days.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have updated my post. There are clauses for businesses like Rutherfords (i.e. who push back delivery dates) which extends the period you can claim by up to 540 days.

Good! Hope you get your money back!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads