• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Nice. What price range should I be thinking about?

It'll depend on the details, but in unlined Bakers London Tan, just like the photos it would be £750. We can do lots of alternative leathers and it could also be fully lined if desired though

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
You want Appreciation, I'll give you Appreciation. Here is my Simon Baker bag. When I received it in 2012, I promptly sold my SAB as it just couldn't compare. I think I paid $1,000 up-charge to have the whole thing hand stitched (which Simon did a beautiful job on). He insisted on no zippers or lining as those are the things that fail so I did add a small inner bag of pig skin on a lanyard to keep suff like a wallet or passport from falling out.

Overall, this is the thickest and stiffest bag I have handled. I was hoping for some sun today but its raining cats and dogs so you have to deal with unnatural lighting and pictures snapped from my Moto phone (amateur Appreciation?).

View attachment 1380333 View attachment 1380334 View attachment 1380335 View attachment 1380336 View attachment 1380337 View attachment 1380338 View attachment 1380339 View attachment 1380340 View attachment 1380341 View attachment 1380342 View attachment 1380343 View attachment 1380344 View attachment 1380345 View attachment 1380346 View attachment 1380347

Hello All,

Just to let those who might be interested know, Simon Baker died not long ago. He'd had some problems over the last few years, but he was a excellent craftsman as the photos above show and will be missed

Charlie

drP

Reaction score
Hello All,

Just to let those who might be interested know, Simon Baker died not long ago. He'd had some problems over the last few years, but he was a excellent craftsman as the photos above show and will be missed

Charlie
??

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello All,

Charlie
So sorry to hear that. RIP Simon.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Next design done and the first case nearly made. This is a lighter version of our full sized case for those looking for somthing lighter in weight and smaller in size. Its 15" x 11" x 3 1/2" with a single compartment. I'll post some more photos when its done and on the website but it looks good so far I think, I really like the balance and proportion of the straps, the body and the flap.

IMG_6901.JPG

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi All,

Heres our Music Case, thought Id share some photos. As with all our briefcases this is full grain oak bark bridle, and entirely hand stitched. Its a slightly quirky design that I really like and is very suited to carrying a lighter load than a full sized briefcases or for those with a lighter frame (like me) who might not want the size of a full briefcase. Its 15" wide x 10" high and 1 3/8" deep (38cm x 26cm x 3.5cm approx)

The Equus Music Case

DSC_7789.jpg
DSC_7785.jpg
DSC_7781.jpg
DSC_7777.jpg
DSC_7768.jpg
DSC_7759.jpg
DSC_7758.jpg

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi All,

Next one, some of you will have seen some photos of this as we designed it though. This is a smaller more minimal briefcase, vs the full size 3 gusset traditional model

The Equus Minimal Briefcase

Bakers Oak Bark Bridle and hand stitched throughout as ever! This one starts at £1500 ex VAT

Charlie

DSC_7795.jpg
DSC_7829.jpg
DSC_7811.jpg
DSC_7810.jpg
DSC_7807.jpg
DSC_7805.jpg

Arsig

Reaction score
Hi All,

Heres our Music Case, thought Id share some photos. As with all our briefcases this is full grain oak bark bridle, and entirely hand stitched. Its a slightly quirky design that I really like and is very suited to carrying a lighter load than a full sized briefcases or for those with a lighter frame (like me) who might not want the size of a full briefcase. Its 15" wide x 10" high and 1 3/8" deep (38cm x 26cm x 3.5cm approx)

The Equus Music Case

View attachment 1644948 View attachment 1644949 View attachment 1644950 View attachment 1644951 View attachment 1644952 View attachment 1644954 View attachment 1644955
How does it feel having just 1 handle intstead of 2? Two balance the weight so it stays straight when handled. But doesn´t having just one make it swivel inwards? (if you catch my drift)

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
How does it feel having just 1 handle intstead of 2? Two balance the weight so it stays straight when handled. But doesn´t having just one make it swivel inwards? (if you catch my drift)

It works really well actually. Loaded to the absolute max there’s the teeniest amount of cant. The weight goes directly vertical straight down the handle because that’s part of the function of the bar, effectively it’s moving the asymmetric load back on to the handle so one handle act as two, photo attached I use mine as an every day laptop bag and it works perfectly.

I think some people also carry them with an arm through the handle and a hand on the base. I don’t really but that works well too

Charlie

A4929728-F77D-4995-8FE0-C9D22630A58B.jpeg

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A music case is also not really intended for significant weight - perfect for an iPad and some paraphernalia and perhaps a some paper ephemera.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
A music case is also not really intended for significant weight - perfect for an iPad and some paraphernalia and perhaps a some paper ephemera.

true, but I have a 13” MacBook Pro, notebook and wallet in mine and that works really well. Silly to try to put a full sized briefcase load in there but if your sensible it’s really a very practice every day design

Arsig

Reaction score
It works really well actually. Loaded to the absolute max there’s the teeniest amount of cant. The weight goes directly vertical straight down the handle because that’s part of the function of the bar, effectively it’s moving the asymmetric load back on to the handle so one handle act as two, photo attached I use mine as an every day laptop bag and it works perfectly.

I think some people also carry them with an arm through the handle and a hand on the base. I don’t really but that works well too

Charlie

View attachment 1659678
Thank you kindly for this comprehensive reply. It was very thorough and thoughtful to post that pic as well. Beautiful case and superb craftmanship. I have only once seen this design in real life and thus wondered how it worked out.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you kindly for this comprehensive reply. It was very thorough and thoughtful to post that pic as well. Beautiful case and superb craftmanship. I have only once seen this design in real life and thus wondered how it worked out.

Well a questions always worth over answering :) Always glad to help

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage of me new folio. So far it just has an iPad and a pen on board.
Any thoughts on this case one year in? Any details and how it’s held up? Contemplating doing a similar commission from Nichols.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads