• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brett Favre Retires

mrpologuy

Reaction score
I can't put him in the best QB convo ever. Even though he has some passing records, he only has one Super Bowl ring and has thrown too many picks in his career. His playoff success has just been soso. He strings the team along debating his retirement and that is not right.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
In the top ten, for sure, but probably not the top 5.

Montana
Unitas
Marino
Brady
Manning
Young
Elway
Starr
Favre
Staubach

In my opinion

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No question that he is NOT the best QB ever. Did he have a cannon of an arm? sure, but playing the position is more than just throwing the football. Poise, ability to inspire the team, ability to come back from behind, and the sad reality is, how many Super Bowl rings?

Montana is the best in my book.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
"He invited me into the house for a little bit," Losman said. "There he was with his tight little shorts, no shirt and his little red hat. He was doing some farming or something. He was covered in dirt. It was awesome."

- J.P. Losman on meeting Brett Favre for the first time.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think you'll find a lot of people even in WI that would rate Starr above Favre...

I think he's probably in the top 5, and no other QB who has ever played the game has had the ability to keep you on the edge of your seat as well as Favre (in good and bad ways) Being in the smallest media market in the NFL, Favre never really had the weapons around him that other QBs most people would rate higher on the list had. The only quarterback that had done more with less (until this past season) was Brady.

The only way any other player in GB that Favre played with will make it in the Hall of Fame is to buy a ticket (with the exception of Reggie White for all of what, two seasons?). Montana was throwing the ball to Rice and Taylor and handing it off to Craig... Aikman had Smith and Irvin, Elway had Sharpe, Terrell Davis, etc. Most people who aren't fans can't even name a player on that '96 Superbowl winning team other than Favre and White.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I don't think you'll find a lot of people even in WI that would rate Starr above Favre...

I think he's probably in the top 5, and no other QB who has ever played the game has had the ability to keep you on the edge of your seat as well as Favre (in good and bad ways) Being in the smallest media market in the NFL, Favre never really had the weapons around him that other QBs most people would rate higher on the list had. The only quarterback that had done more with less (until this past season) was Brady.

The only way any other player in GB that Favre played with will make it in the Hall of Fame is to buy a ticket (with the exception of Reggie White for all of what, two seasons?). Montana was throwing the ball to Rice and Taylor and handing it off to Craig... Aikman had Smith and Irvin, Elway had Sharpe, Terrell Davis, etc. Most people who aren't fans can't even name a player on that '96 Superbowl winning team other than Favre and White.

sarcasm.gif
Elway made it to THREE Super Bowls with nobody on the team.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
sarcasm.gif
Elway made it to THREE Super Bowls with nobody on the team.

Elway hardly had nobody on his team...his Super Bowl winning team had a 2000 yard rusher (Terrell Davis) who has borderline HOF numbers despite only playing a few seasons. In any case, he was the best running back in the NFL at the time. Shannon Sharpe, who may be the best pass catching TE of all time, pretty good WRs (Rod Smith and that lanky white possession receiver) and two hall of fame OL. Denver's defense was pretty good too, with Roid Boy front and center.

Green Bay's SB winning team was a compilation of has beens and never weres, with the exception of Favre and White.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If the media reports are true, this seems to be a Favre temper tantrum. He reportedly told the Pack that he'd be back long-term if they got Randy Moss. When the Pack didn't even make an effort, say the pundits, Brett called McCarthy and said he's done. In addition, there are some reports that Favre felt like the Packers weren't showing him enough love.

Apparently McCarthy says he's heading to Mississippi to try to change Favre's mind.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don't have an opinion on favre, but i find it ridiculous to judge a player on how many championships he has won, when discussing a team sport.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Elway hardly had nobody on his team...his Super Bowl winning team had a 2000 yard rusher (Terrell Davis) who has borderline HOF numbers despite only playing a few seasons. In any case, he was the best running back in the NFL at the time. Shannon Sharpe, who may be the best pass catching TE of all time, pretty good WRs (Rod Smith and that lanky white possession receiver) and two hall of fame OL. Denver's defense was pretty good too, with Roid Boy front and center.

Green Bay's SB winning team was a compilation of has beens and never weres, with the exception of Favre and White.

I'm talking about Elway's first THREE Super Bowls, not the last TWO that he won. He had nobody on those 86-89 teams. Maybe Dennis Smith and Karl Mecklenburg on defense but they're hardly Reggie White no?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
An era is over:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7...ll-it-a-career

Best QB ever? Certainly in the conversation.

I like Favre a lot, but I think that's a hard case to make. How many games did he take his team out of by throwing ridiculous interceptions trying to be a gunslinger? To be considered one of the best ever, you need great judgment as well as physical skills, leadership, etc. I loathed Joe Montana, but I can never remember thinking after he threw an interception "Jesus, what the hell was he thinking?" That happened a lot with Favre, who would sometimes seem to be channelling Rex Grossman or Neil O'Donnell.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree. Also, Young did not play at at his best for nearly as long.

That said, when Brady and Manning are done, they would both rate ahead of Favre in my book.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i don't have an opinion on favre, but i find it ridiculous to judge a player on how many championships he has won, when discussing a team sport.

It's not ridiculous at all. It's not the be-all and end-all, but it's certainly relevant. Yes, there are many factors beyond an individual player's control. But because it is a team sport, it's ultimately what you do for your team, rather than the back of your own trading card, that should matter. Some players are able to take mediocre teams and either inspire guys to play over their heads through leadership or simply carry them on their backs. Other guys have great individual skills but are unable or unwilling to make the effort to integrate those skills into into a successful team-oriented approach.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads