1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Breifcase suggestion please!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by daytona, Mar 27, 2004.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

(LabelKing @ 11 Nov. 2004, 6:46) I personally think that Hermes makes a wonderful briefcase with beautiful styling.
    And wonderfully absurd pricing to go along with it. I love Hermes items, the leather is top notch, but I would be very hard pressed to ever spend the money on them. I am also under the impression that it takes several months on a list to acquire one.
    The list is only for the women's Birkins. There is a Japanese man who uses an Hermes towel to wrap his Hermes briefcase when carrying it about.

2. Jared

Jared Senior member

I got a Jack Georges recently. It looks nice and sturdy. I'll report back in about a year after constant use and tell you how well it fares. [​IMG]
    Is this used Jack Georges on eBay a result of proper care? [​IMG] I've been looking for a soft sided case because I feel that they're more stylish, but I think I'd just cry if I bought the below and it quickly turned into the above. [​IMG] Is there an equivalent to shoe trees for briefcases? [​IMG] Or is it all just wabisabi...

3. etl

etl Senior member

i was recently traveling home from the BVI and there was a pretty, young couple standing at the airport in front of me. Both were dressed up like a magazine ad: matching watches, LV and Chanel traveling bags etc. He had an industrial-finish aluminum case with oversized stainless (shiny) fasteners. All i could make out on the case was "Elite".

Does anyone here know who makes this? I've always been more a brown leather type but haven't been able to shake this recent visage.

4. bryce330

bryce330 Senior member

i was recently traveling home from the BVI and there was a pretty, young couple standing at the airport in front of me. Both were dressed up like a magazine ad: matching watches, LV and Chanel traveling bags etc. He had an industrial-finish aluminum case with oversized stainless (shiny) fasteners. All i could make out on the case was "Elite".

Does anyone here know who makes this? I've always been more a brown leather type but haven't been able to shake this recent visage.

Zero Halliburton Elite series:

http://www.zerohalliburton.com/busin...inum/elite.jsp

I have a ZH laptop case that I used as a briefcase until I got my Berluti. I am very happy with it, but it does have a tendency to get scuffed, especially if you will be taking it on planes, etc.

The main line cases are very reasonably priced IMO and look a lot more expensive than they are. I'm not sure that the "Elite" line is worth the extra charge, since you basically just get a fancier lock.

5. etl

etl Senior member

Bryce,

Thanks so much for the quick reply. It was the 3" Aluminum one that i saw. What you can't really make out from the images is how shiny and oversized the fittings were, which is a nice contrast to the dull aluminum case.

A bit Euro, but at least i can stop wondering about it.

6. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

I'm not sure that the "Elite" line is worth the extra charge, since you basically just get a fancier lock.

They don't come with a beautiful young woman and his & her matching watches? [​IMG]

7. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

The main line cases are very reasonably priced IMO and look a lot more expensive than they are. I'm not sure that the "Elite" line is worth the extra charge, since you basically just get a fancier lock.

"You always carry weapons because you always carry cash."

I want a swaine, but it is difficult to justify the cost unless you take the 20-year view. Still, I do deserve a present soon.

8. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I have a ZH laptop case that I used as a briefcase until I got my Berluti. I am very happy with it, but it does have a tendency to get scuffed, especially if you will be taking it on planes, etc.

Exactly. I do think the Elite is worth it as the locks are better and it is way cooler. I DON'T think the Premier line is worth the upcharge, though. I simply adore all of mine, but make sure you can pull it off, and that it won't weird out your boss and his clients.

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Huntsman

9. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

If one shows some patience, one can find very fine briefcases on ebay at excellent prices, both new and "pre-patinated". It's one of the undervalued markets on ebay, in general. Of course, big names like Swaine go for big bucks. I've never looked at the Zero Halliburton market on ebay, so I couldn't say. Still, if you're on a budget you can get a lot of bang for your buck.

10. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

If one shows some patience, one can find very fine briefcases on ebay at excellent prices, both new and "pre-patinated". It's one of the undervalued markets on ebay, in general. Of course, big names like Swaine go for big bucks. I've never looked at the Zero Halliburton market on ebay, so I couldn't say. Still, if you're on a budget you can get a lot of bang for your buck.

This is very much the truth. I've seen a couple of really great deals on briefcases, just none of the styes I had my heart set on (a very good version of one of the brands mentioned in this thread recently went for something like $30). My wallet and portfolio both came NIB off ebay for 1/3 retail or less. Not bad considering I don't have access to things like an Asprey sale.

11. Bill

Bill New Member

I bought a Tomacelli Briefcase from Maxwell Scott last year, all I can do is admire the craftmanship and detail. It has every kind of pocket inside you could wish for including mobile phone, pda, pens etc (very useful).

The only comment I have it that you are unable to adjust the shoulder strap but apart from that it is a cherished bag. I certainly have plenty of colleagues asking where I bought it. http://www.maxwellscottbags.com/leather-briefcases.htm

12. saint

saint Senior member

STP periodically has an angler's case from Mulholland Bros. Its great looking, professional, but with a sporty edge. I have one and really like it.

13. lee lin

lee lin Senior member

have a look at the tumi slim briefs in leather or the ballistic nylon. they will last very well. i've had a leather duffel bag from them for years that i still use everyday.