• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Breast pocket help for new peak lapel blazer please.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm having a navy hopsack blazer with peak lapels and patch pockets made up. Did I make a mistake in having the breast pocket a patch pocket style too? Should I have just requested a normal breast pocket?

Johnsson

Reaction score
Patch breast pockets are never my preference, and I regret the one time I went with them. My bias aside, I'm not sure they are a natural match with peak lapels.

Astaroth

Reaction score
Is this single or double breasted? Are you wanting this to be casual or formal? Where is the fabric on the formality scale?

Generally speaking peak lapels are more formal where as patch pockets are more informal and so by requesting the two together is unusual, and arguably even more so if its SB.

If it is SB then you may be able to pull it off if the lapels are on the narrower side and its a very informal fabric but the most the photos of jackets with this combination were more in the novelty category rather than classic and of those trying to be classical to me only one of them worked at all and the others looked wrong.

WhereNext

Reaction score
I have no real rational basis for this, so it's no more than opinion, but I don't think patch pockets go well with peak lapels. It may be a formality thing as mentioned earlier; I don't tend to think of peak lapels as inherently more formal on a blazer/suit/sportcoat, but I do think they are "sharper" (which may be the same thing to anyone not parsing unnecessarily). Patch pockets are quite casual and "slouchy" to my eye (not in a bad way, I quite like them with a notch lapel jacket), so I don't think they match well.
I raised this a few months ago in reference to someone's gun club (I think?) jacket posted on WAYWRN: I noted my hang ups about it, and someone wiser than me responded to basically say I wasn't crazy (shows what he knows!) but also that it's fine to have patch and peak.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, thank you both for responding, and I have to say by and large I agree with your thoughts. I just spoke with the tailor and he told me there would be no issue putting in a normal breast pocket instead of the patch breast pocket.

It will be a single-breasted jacket made of hopsack. It was my original intention to have it made as a blazer suit, but they told me they don't make trousers out of this particular fabric. I could have chosen a different one such as fresco, but I was really struck by the structure and texture of the hopsack. Also, I decided it would be better to order just a jacket first to make sure they really nail the fit. My fussiness about fit is exceeded only by the difficulty of finding a jacket OTR that even remotely fits me well.

I'm more than a little jealous of the guys in the other threads who have recently posted that they do indeed have blazer suits made of hopsack. Oh well, at least I can look forward to wearing it with my many pairs of grey trousers.

Astaroth

Reaction score
It will be a single-breasted jacket made of hopsack. It was my original intention to have it made as a blazer suit, but they told me they don't make trousers out of this particular fabric.
I'm more than a little jealous of the guys in the other threads who have recently posted that they do indeed have blazer suits made of hopsack.
Hopesack is ultimately just a weave, by flexing the material, thread size, density of weave, finish etc you can create fairly different results. The classic fabric is light weight, textured/ matt finish and so lends itself to summer casual jackets and not robust enough for trousers but you can get a denser ones which start getting a shine and become both more formal and robust.

Unfortunately I didnt pay much attention when ordering my hopsack jacket and its much more formal than I wanted and I instantly was envious of the guy that came after me into the tailors to have his final fit on an otherwise identical jacket and his looked so much better than mine :(

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine is more of an open weave. Rather less more formal. The tailor told me it would be prone to snagging, so I should be careful / not be shocked if it does.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads