• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Breakfast is overrated

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Impossible for me to get a decent amount of protein during the day if I don't start with a good slug at breakfast. So 2-3 eggs plus greek yoghurt give me 30 grams or so to begin the day.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newstyle
I don't normally fill up my car with gas when it is on empty. I find that I can enjoy the weather outside more when I'm pushing m car around.

I really don't understand how people can not eat breakfast, I can't function without breakfast in the morning. Probably has something to do with the 2 swim workouts I do a day and the cycling I do on the weekends.

Or it could be conditioning. I was convinced for years that if I didn't eat something for breakfast, I'd destroy my metabolism and I'd gain fat and all the other horrible stuff that the experts have told us for years would happen if you skip breakfast.

The first couple of days I went out the door without a calorie in my system weren't easy. But it became second nature. I function just fine in the morning without any food in my system.

For what it's worth, I've done this all on a four-day split of heavy lifts (squat, deadlift, etc), another day of odds and ends (pull-ups, dips, etc), two or three steady state cardio sessions and several fasted walks. I'm fine.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I wake up starving.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
OP has obviously never had the french toast at le french diner

not_a_virus.exe

Reaction score
contrary to popular belief, breakfast is no more and less important than any other meal of the deal. i frequently "skip" it and only eat until i feel hungry or someone brings in some treats for the office. all the benefits that the industry likes to cite for eating breakfast is a load of crap.

mrchariybrown

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by presence
Scientific research has concluded there is a high correlation between not eating breakfast and being over-weight. People tend to compensate with eating excessive calories later in the day. K

this is true because most people don't count calories and just tend to overcompensates later on for not eating breakfast.

but if you're one to count calories, it weight difference should be near non-existent if the calories are kept the same whether you eat breakfast or not.

WorkingClassDude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by not_a_virus.exe
contrary to popular belief, breakfast is no more and less important than any other meal of the deal. i frequently "skip" it and only eat until i feel hungry or someone brings in some treats for the office. all the benefits that the industry likes to cite for eating breakfast is a load of crap.

I think that's for the benefit of children mostly. I mean it just sounds kinda bad if you are sending a kid out the door in the morning without trying to feed it first. But when other people stop controlling your eating, I think most people find that it makes more sense to eat when you need to.

Green Lantern

Reaction score
Digesting causes the body to create an endothermic reaction. Simply eating in the morning causes the body to "wake up" and start running. This in turn starts the metabolism to idle and more readily digest your other small meals during the day. He who skips breakfast (me, sometimes) binges on lunch and dinner thereby overload their over-thirty metabolism.
Breakfast is good for ya...and I don't mean a large stack, fatback, beans and grits.

not_a_virus.exe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiddleClassDude
I think that's for the benefit of children mostly. I mean it just sounds kinda bad if you are sending a kid out the door in the morning without trying to feed it first. But when other people stop controlling your eating, I think most people find that it makes more sense to eat when you need to.
good and important point. you're 100% right - the whole breakfast is important thing applies only to children.

in fact, a lot of nutrition advice that gets thrown around was first recommended for children, but now it's erroneously also being recommended for adults.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say breakfast is more of a necessity if you are on a high carbohydrate diet where you constantly need to eat for energy. I've been eating 5-10 grams of carbs a day for the past 2 months in conjunction with IF, and I wake up on an empty stomach with more energy than I ever got from a bowl of oatmeal. Another supporting article: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/10/ma...erland&emc=rss

not_a_virus.exe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
I'd say breakfast is more of a necessity if you are on a high carbohydrate diet where you constantly need to eat for energy. I've been eating 5-10 grams of carbs a day for the past 2 months in conjunction with IF, and I wake up on an empty stomach with more energy than I ever got from a bowl of oatmeal. Another supporting article: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/10/ma...erland&emc=rss
nice, another IFer in the house! i have found that i am more alert when i'm fasting. i also find fasting to be much easier when you're busy, e.g. while you're at work or you're too busy partying. once you sit down and get bored, that's when cravings start to creep up lol. without getting into all the science and research, our bodies are designed for intermittent fasting. it's how our nomadic ancestors survived. problem is that our lifestyles have evolved much quicker than our physiology, and now that we're no longer nomads and we're surrounded by food, it's so easy to overeat and get fat, which is ironic because our fat is what sustained us during our ancestral days of roaming for food while in an unfed state.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oscarm
why is it that so many people struggle to eat first thing in the morning, is it our bodys or just in our heads?

Is it really so hard to believe that everybody is different? What feels natural for you may not be natural for others, and what is beneficial for you may not be beneficial for others. There are lots of people who work well without a breakfast, and lots of people who need it. It's not a big deal either way, as long as you're healthy. I'm pretty sure that eating a gargantuan breakfast is no better for you than not eating breakfast at all.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What? Where'd you read this? If you're going to make such outlandish claims at least have some source to back it up. Most every diet-related article I've ever read has gone to some lengths to emphasize the importance of breakfast. But really the OP (Scott Adams)'s contention is not really relevant to health at all, as he was specifically talking about one's creativity when not eating breakfast being better, not their general well being.

not_a_virus.exe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
What? Where'd you read this? If you're going to make such outlandish claims at least have some source to back it up. Most every diet-related article I've ever read has gone to some lengths to emphasize the importance of breakfast.

But really the OP (Scott Adams)'s contention is not really relevant to health at all, as he was specifically talking about one's creativity when not eating breakfast being better, not their general well being.

about to hit the sack so i can't go into detail, but here's a source for now:

http://johnbarban.com/breakfast-the-...al-of-the-day/

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
about to hit the sack so i can't go into detail, but here's a source for now:

http://johnbarban.com/breakfast-the-...al-of-the-day/

Well if some random fitness dude blogs about it then it must be true! Sorry but you'll have to do better then that to prove that eating breakfast doesn't benefit one's health, and to be honest I'm somewhat skeptical of anyone claiming this, as there's all the chance that they're simply trying to justify their poor eating habits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads