• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Thread: Newaza!

Squall.Leonhart

Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you guys on here practice BJJ. I'm still a white belt, but I trained no-gi grappling for about 1.5 years before putting on the gi.

So, anyone else here train, compete or a fan?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I did about 3 months BJJ and about 1 year submission wrestling. I completed once, I prefer striking and find it more fun, plus cauliflower ears don't look so great.

PITAronin

Reaction score
When I was in my 40s and 50s I did some American-style karate that had a bjj element included, and then did about a year of studying with a bjj school. Gave it up after my instructor threw me into a 'training' session with another student who was getting ready for his first competition and I got my knee bent in ways God never intended. (Long story short, my opponent was about 20 years younger, six inches taller, far more skilled, and was a bounty hunter by profession with all of the attitude that implies. I was totally outclassed. On the other hand, it now makes a great conversational gambit to drop on casual acquaintances to explain why my times for 5k and 10k road races aren't anywhere near what they were when I was younger. "Yeah, I used to be a lot faster before I got my knee torn up grappling with a bounty hunter."

icepick

Reaction score
I'm a 4-stripe white belt. I've been training for about 1.8 years now, with about 3 months off for injuries.

Competed only once, which resulted in the most serious of those injuries. I'm 38, competing in the 30-39 year old bracket...facing an 30 year old college wrestler who double leg slammed me, which resulted in a L5S1 herniated disc, surgery, and 2 months of rehab.

But I'm back, and not going anywhere.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ lol wtf is a "double leg slam"? Did he suplex you?

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I presume he means a double leg takedown that just threw him on his back. Never found the appeal of grappling to be honest, I know enough to stop people taking me down but I'd rather have the option of pulling out my baton and giving a few whacks.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by icepick
I'm a 4-stripe white belt. I've been training for about 1.8 years now, with about 3 months off for injuries.

Competed only once, which resulted in the most serious of those injuries. I'm 38, competing in the 30-39 year old bracket...facing an 30 year old college wrestler who double leg slammed me, which resulted in a L5S1 herniated disc, surgery, and 2 months of rehab.

But I'm back, and not going anywhere.

Ah yes, the BJJ ego. Usually, getting your ass beat all day will make people pretty humble, but there are some people with middle of the pack skill who manage to avoid mellowing out. Makes training pretty crap with them around.

icepick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
I presume he means a double leg takedown that just threw him on his back. Never found the appeal of grappling to be honest, I know enough to stop people taking me down but I'd rather have the option of pulling out my baton and giving a few whacks.

This. He shot, grabbed the double, lifted, twisted and landed in side control. Well executed, just happened to land just right to cause my disc to squirt out like toothpaste.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I apparently live a block from one of the best BJJ schools in North Texas (led by a Carlos Machado black belt) but I don't have the time to go right now. More emphasis on losing weight/getting in shape plus going back to school two nights a week.

Squall.Leonhart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PITAronin
When I was in my 40s and 50s I did some American-style karate that had a bjj element included, and then did about a year of studying with a bjj school. Gave it up after my instructor threw me into a 'training' session with another student who was getting ready for his first competition and I got my knee bent in ways God never intended. (Long story short, my opponent was about 20 years younger, six inches taller, far more skilled, and was a bounty hunter by profession with all of the attitude that implies. I was totally outclassed. On the other hand, it now makes a great conversational gambit to drop on casual acquaintances to explain why my times for 5k and 10k road races aren't anywhere near what they were when I was younger. "Yeah, I used to be a lot faster before I got my knee torn up grappling with a bounty hunter."

I feel your pain.

About a year in, I was training with an asshole blackbelt back in my hometown who inverted heel hooked me and cranked it. I heard a pop and my knee has been bothering me ever since. I went to the doctor and had it check out and I have some torn meniscus in there.

I've had so many injuries (including a bout with staph) that I've wanted to quit several times. Too bad BJJ is so damn addicting :/

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BJJ is hard to get into because the first few weeks (at least for me) are always filled with small injuries: back hurts, knee is sore, jammed fingers, etc. But, after a while, the body gets used to it. One thing I've learned: avoid rolling with really new people - especially former hs or college wrestlers. They will injure you on accident. I've been doing BJJ for a couple years now and I enjoy it.

Squall.Leonhart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
BJJ is hard to get into because the first few weeks (at least for me) are always filled with small injuries: back hurts, knee is sore, jammed fingers, etc. But, after a while, the body gets used to it. One thing I've learned: avoid rolling with really new people - especially former hs or college wrestlers. They will injure you on accident. I've been doing BJJ for a couple years now and I enjoy it.
Good point. While I'm no black belt, I still feel like rolling at anything over 20% with a brand new student is just asking for injury. Has anyone else here competed? I've competed twice, once without the gi and later with.

PITAronin

Reaction score
Not sure I buy into the idea that wearing a gi is stupid. In principle, I suspect that you are much more likely to get into a physical confrontation while wearing clothes than wearing a Speedo, and it makes sense to know how to use collars, sleeves, whatever in defending yourself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads