• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Thread: Newaza!

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BubblyMasquerade
gis are ******* stupid

not if your fighting with suits on! think about how fast you can choke out some douche in a rubbanici suit and have confidence that the stitching is strong enough to handle the torque and pull while he loses consciousness. it works the other way too... you can use you're anderson and sheppard suit's superior strength stitches against your combatant.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any good grappler will tell you the "gi" is mandatory to learn. You need both gi and no gi training and I hate the gi but I do understand that it's important so I suck it up.

Any dc area people come check out our gym 50/50 BJJ.

I teach mauy thai there and Ryan Hall is our Bjj guy.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have played judo for almost three years. I'm only a yonkyu. A few of our club members cross train BJJ or come from BJJ to judo. I've competed a couple of times, but it's hard in the over 35 division being so new. They hardly have any competitors so I could get my @ss handed to me in a higher belt level master's division or against much younger, more fit guys in the senior division many of whom are just out of college wrestling programs.

I like the fact that we have throws as well as newaza and prefer that we don't have leg locks. The pain seems to come on as the snap occurs on the legs, whearas for the elbows there's a lot more time to tap.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here train at the downtown NYC Gracie gym? I am going to have some downtime during a job-change and was thinking about some classes.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PITAronin
Not sure I buy into the idea that wearing a gi is stupid. In principle, I suspect that you are much more likely to get into a physical confrontation while wearing clothes than wearing a Speedo, and it makes sense to know how to use collars, sleeves, whatever in defending yourself.

Originally Posted by Mauro
Any good grappler will tell you the "gi" is mandatory to learn. You need both gi and no gi training and I hate the gi but I do understand that it's important so I suck it up.

Any dc area people come check out our gym 50/50 BJJ.

I need to talk to you Mauro. One of our guys has real potential, He has been practicing since he was 16, and now, at 20, is a 3 stripe purple belt who regularly pwns purple and brown belts in competition. Last time, he tapped out 2 purple belts in under 10 minutes. The first guy he had locked into the spiderweb and finished in 35 minutes. Would have been shorter under no-gi submission wrestling rules. Anyway, he has been watching and learning a lot of the Ryan Hall stuff, already has a great triangle, and would probably benefit from training at 50/50.

Anyway, I've been practicing BJJ and submissions wrestling since 2000. I stumbled on a John Machado school purely by mistake. I was there for a year or so before I decided that MMA was more interesting to me (my background was in American style kickboxing,) but I didn't know how good I had it (both in BJJ and MMA) until I left LA, and I regret not learning more there.

After a long (5 year) lay off of MMA and BJJ, I took it up again a couple of years ago. I'm 36 now, my ground game was never my strong suit, and out here in Idaho, I'm definitely one of the smaller guys, so it's always a humbling experience to have bigger, younger guys or a very competitive ex-Ranger crushing you. But I really like it, and have actually had to work out a lot of the kinks I used to compensate for with muscle and youth.

Gi training is really important, imo. There are mixed opinions in the BJJ/submission wrestling community. For example. Eddie Bravo really doesn't like the gi (and he is a JJ Machado blackbelt, so he has excellent traditional pedigree), but the guys at BJJ University in San Diego swear by it. There are definitely differences. For example, when you are using the gi, double unders are the way to go if you've taken someone's back, but the MMA over/under is used when you are rolling with no-gi. Or, there are X-guard things that work much better if you can grab your opponent's pant leg. Or if you want to use the Mario Sperry guard pass, having the gi for leverage is really useful. And that's not to even mention things like lapel chokes. I think that wearing a gi really makes you work harder at certain aspects of technique, and paradoxically, makes you develop your conditioning better for certain escapes. No-gi, of course, really makes you work hard at a lot of things too.

I hate the gi too, mainly because my experience with submission wrestling is so much more extensive, and I am pretty susceptible to things like the Ezekiel choke and different collar chokes.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro

Originally Posted by LA Guy

Anyway, I've been practicing BJJ and submissions wrestling since 2000.

This makes me respect you even more
worship.gif

As to the gi vs no-gi debate, I think gi training prepares you for street defense during the winter season while no-gi is for summer street defense.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
collar chokes.

ffffuuuu.gif

I don't have a lot of experience with MMA, but I've done enough no gi jiu-jitsu to avoid making any major stupid mistakes. My first time doing judo I ended up rolling with a guy who had a few years of experience in bjj. I ended up in all sorts of collar chokes, and something that involved him grabbing my gi on either side of my bicep and pushing his knee down as hard as he could.

I've got mad respect for gi work even if only on the basis of adding yet another dimension to the already incredibly involving art of grappling.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn that's cool Mauro, I didn't know you teach muay thai. Ryan Hall is a sick grappler. All of Lloyd Irvin's guys are good.

Hgalek, that sounds like he was maybe doing a bicep slicer.

I've trained in grappling for about 4 years and am a purple belt although I haven't put on a gi in over a year. Been concentrating on MMA.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timbaland
Damn that's cool Mauro, I didn't know you teach muay thai. Ryan Hall is a sick grappler. All of Lloyd Irvin's guys are good.

Hgalek, that sounds like he was maybe doing a bicep slicer.

I've trained in grappling for about 4 years and am a purple belt although I haven't put on a gi in over a year. Been concentrating on MMA.

Completely illegal in competition, but fun.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
This makes me respect you even more
worship.gif

As to the gi vs no-gi debate, I think gi training prepares you for street defense during the winter season while no-gi is for summer street defense.

It's a lot of years to suck, unfortunately. I think that my ground game has improved about as much as Houston Alexanders's or Cheick Kongo's.

Gi is actually probably better training for summer. My competition gi has a super thick collar which is hard to use as a weapon. On the other hand, a tee-shirt is essentially a garrote.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Completely illegal in competition, but fun.

For some reason some tournament allowed it in my area (some no gi tournaments allow heel hooks, I think it was one of these) and some dude got his forearm broken with a slicer. Hearing the pop was sickening.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timbaland
For some reason some tournament allowed it in my area (some no gi tournaments allow heel hooks, I think it was one of these) and some dude got his forearm broken with a slicer. Hearing the pop was sickening.

I like heelhooks, and the Machados like them. but they are pretty dangerous. Of course, I liked to do neck cranks and spinal cranks and compressions in MMA competition, so I dunno why I'm advocating for safe submissions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads