• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brands you hate- and why

andrew96

Reaction score
What brands don't you like? Why?

Personally, I dislike Ralph Lauren, I don't think his quality is good, and I think it's marketed to low class folks that think if they buy it they will become the aristocracy. Though, Lauren himself is a genius of marketing, and I would love to meet him and discuss business. Man I bet Brooks Brothers is pissed!

I don't like Coach, they've destroyed their quality and turned they're stuff into logo covered crap. It's the Buick of leather.

Louis Vuitton, because it's logo covered rubbish, I can't stand logos.

I like traditional quality, Canali, Brioni, and Brooks Brothers are some good ones. Pendleton is very good, I just with they had mroe men's stuff. Modern brands like Armani, Hugo Boss, etc are for the most part lower quality than those older more traditional brands.

In all, I think too many people are fashion whores, they can't think for themselves. Timeless is what I like.

PS: Fashion sneakers, Nike, Puma, etc. I don't like them either, they're damn sneakers! What happened to new Balance, quality, for running, and sports, not for fashion.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I believe there is a thread about this already on the main page.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hate all brands that contribute to lessening the perceived social distance between me and my inferiors. You see, I am better than others. I have certain qualities that the underclass cannot fully appreciate, but that they can crudely mimic. And when they do, by wearing things like Chaps or Mani or Canali, then I don't appear as superior as I really am. To reiterate, I am better than others, owing to certain qualities. I hope I haven't been too unsubtle in expressing that point. But you know, it's hard to be subtle when you're naturally better than others, such as the kind who wear Chaps, Mani, and Canali.

alt.don

Reaction score
You were not too subtle at all kind Sir. These types of diatribes help me realize my place in society and in the universe at large. I would be only too happy to serve you as foot servant and fart catcher at large.

I for one salute your caste system,

Brigadier Corporal Huuppunkrup

andrew96

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
I hate all brands that contribute to lessening the perceived social distance between me and my inferiors. You see, I am better than others. I have certain qualities that the underclass cannot fully appreciate, but that they can crudely mimic. And when they do, by wearing things like Chaps or Mani or Canali, then I don't appear as superior as I really am. To reiterate, I am better than others, owing to certain qualities. I hope I haven't been too unsubtle in expressing that point. But you know, it's hard to be subtle when you're naturally better than others, such as the kind who wear Chaps, Mani, and Canali.

And so humble too.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andrew96
Personally, I dislike Ralph Lauren, I don't think his quality is good, and I think it's marketed to low class folks that think if they buy it they will become the aristocracy.

You've obviously never been to the mansion in NYC.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah my dear sir, you are indeed superior to me. At your behest, I would drop my trousers so as to receive a good bottom sniffing or rimming if that pleases your majesty
censored.gif

There is a thread like this one by the way. As for brands: Generally dislike anything seen as pretentious or perceived as "must own".

Andrew96: Ralph Lauren aint all bad, his purple label and black label stuff is as good as anything out there that is pullable off a rack. I would not say the level of these two lines is any lower than Brooks Brothers - contrary to that, I actually rate these better than Brooks. I only buy BB over RL due to BB's kindness to my bank account
cheers.gif
. If you are talking of Polo - well, indeed, I dislike Polo also - suits are on the correct side of OK though. Rest is overpriced junk, but I would buy one of their shirts provided no logo and under $20 on sale.

Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
Gucci. <----- ? Not that good, but not despicable either.

Dolce. <---- D&G = Pretty ****, suits bad, shirts bad. Mainline Dolce = dont know or care.

Armani. <---- I dont like em that much, but are they really loathesome, say compared with an abomination like Lacoste?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
there's an interesting talk HERE.... one of the points she makes is that you can't copyright a DESIGN... But you can Trademark your logo... so the only thing you can do is cover everything in your logo and make IT the design so people can't copy. That's actually an explanation which seems to make more sense then, 'these high end designers are suddenly stupid and screwing their brand equity by pasting logos everywhere and making their high end stuff look tacky'...

hermes man

Reaction score
seriously people who says Giorgio Armani stuffs lower quality and inferior are really silly

obviously they ve never seen or touch brand new Giorgio Armani stuffs from Giorgio Armani boutiques before ...

if u say Emporio Armani (EA) or Armani Jeans (AJ) has lower quality then I agree but for too quickly to say that Giorgio Armani stuffs are low quality or lower quality u are ignorant

its really silly that to claim 100$-200$ BB shirts to be of higher quality than Giorgio Armani shirts that cost 500$-1000$

overpriced yes

inferior not

low quality certainly not

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hermes man
seriously people who says Giorgio Armani stuffs lower quality and inferior are really silly

obviously they ve never seen or touch brand new Giorgio Armani stuffs from Giorgio Armani boutiques before ...

if u say Emporio Armani (EA) or Armani Jeans (AJ) has lower quality then I agree but for too quickly to say that Giorgio Armani stuffs are low quality or lower quality u are ignorant

its really silly that to claim 100$-200$ BB shirts to be of higher quality than Giorgio Armani shirts that cost 500$-1000$

overpriced yes

inferior not

low quality certainly not

Giorgio Armani shirts? Price has nothing to do with the level of quality - that is Armani label markup.

I have bought MTM shirts at less than the Armani Black Label price, that I felt were better constructed, better materials, customized buttons (one of my shirts I had Horn rather than MOP buttons) etc.

Make no bones about it, Armani Black Label (Giorgio Armani) is good quality - I speak with some experience, I must have owned about 5 of these shirts in the past and I still have 3 shirts I wear from time to time.

But, they are no better than the cheaper Ralph Lauren Purple Label, or indeed that big step up from Brooks Brothers either. I agree that their shirts are better quality than BB, but not much much better, just a bit better.

Rayson

Reaction score
There was a programme on BBC radio here a few weeks ago that touched on the prominence of logos on clothes. The high-end designers say plenty of people in emerging markets prefer the logos prominent, so it certainly isn't a sign of stupidity on the part of those designers. It's simple supply and demand.

Logos put me off, though. Does that mean I think I'm better than people who like them? Do the people who wear high-end clothes with logos think they're better than people who don't? I'd just avoid that narrow stream of thought entirely. It'll drive you mad.

Here's what happens.

Bob says, "You think you're better than me."

This has two implications:
1. It's bad to think you're better than another.
2. Bob doesn't do this.

So when Bob says, "You think you're better than me" he thinks he's better than me.

alt.don

Reaction score
There is a certain cachet or false pride in having a visible logo on your clothing. Personally I prefer a well constructed and comfortable piece. For those who have an eye on the finer things in life it will impress for those who don't it won't matter. Either way, it's win/win.

long_knives

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate all brands that contribute to lessening the perceived social distance between me and my inferiors. You see, I am better than others. I have certain qualities that the underclass cannot fully appreciate, but that they can crudely mimic. And when they do, by wearing things like Chaps or Mani or Alfani, then I don't appear as superior as I really am. To reiterate, I am better than others, owing to certain qualities. I hope I haven't been too unsubtle in expressing that point. But you know, it's hard to be subtle when you're naturally better than others, such as the kind who wear Chaps, Mani, and Alfani.

Fixed

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics