• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brands with Shorter Suit Jacket Lengths?

Will78L

Reaction score
I know there are differing opinions on the lengths of suit jackets, but I've always tended to prefer shorter suit jacket lengths. Suit jackets that are of traditional lengths just make me look like a kid since I'm already short enough as it is.

With that being said, I've only found Theory suit jackets to be significantly short enough for me. I've looked around and can't seem to find other brands that have shorter suit jackets.

Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions of brands that have shorter length suit jacket? Thanks.

tazmaniac

Reaction score
How about almost any fashion-forward brand at the moment?

Will78L

Reaction score
Well I also have to admit that I'm a bit a fashion neophyte. I'm just starting to learn, so I'm not entirely sure what is and what isn't fashion forward.

I've gone to various stores like Hugo Boss, Armani, etc., but their suits are way to long. Perhaps they fit fine on a man of average height?

zerostyle

Reaction score
How tall are you OP?

I'm 5'9, and find that 38R's run long on me, but most 38S's are just a bit too short.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Isaia certainly... I believe their Cortina model runs shorter? Don't recall exactly.

the Gregory runs quite short. and tight.

as for the other models, i don't find isaia any more or less short than the other italian makers,or, for that matter, most contemporary suits these days.

(i recently tried on a brioni that was the shortest of all the italian suits i have tried on recently. shocked!)

OP will have better luck on yoox, which is basically a glut of fashion-forward suits that take "short" to new lengths, which is what it sounds like he is looking for.

as for the mainstream US makers, hickey makes the shortest coat i'm aware of... almost disproportionately short.

Hank Rearden

Reaction score
I'm a 40S and the BOC length of my Canali measures 29" even. This seems to be 0.25" - 0.5" shorter than most of the suits & sportcoats in my size on the B&S forum.

Guero

Reaction score
Suit coats by Hickey run shorter, and if you like Theory you'll probably like Hickey (although it leans a little more trad compared to Theory's minimalism).

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about the brands as they sometimes make different cuts catering to different body types so you may encounter 2 jackets tagged 38 from the same company with different lengths. Look specifically at jacket measurements after finding your approximate size.

I am 5'8.5" and I usually look for jackets with 29" length and 18" shoulders after finding suits in size 38 (usually 38s work).

Exalt

Reaction score

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Ralph Lauren Black Label. Not my taste (I buy RLBL longs so that I don't get the short jacket), but if you like that sort of thing, it's a much better suit than what you get from Theory.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
if you don't go in for a closeup, the sheen on the RLBL model's face makes him look like a Ken doll.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Yeah, the pics at the RL website are just terrible. Neither the coats nor trouser look very attractive at all on those models and shooting photos slightly upward is never very flattering. That's one of the reasons that I initially had no idea how to explain the positive praise for RLBL found on this board; all I had visually to go by was that site. But go and put a RLBL on .... wow. If you're tall and thin, it's hard to imagine another off-the-rack suit doing any more to flatter you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads