• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brands to avoid on ebay?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there specific clothing brands that you refuse to buy on ebay?

I ask because I now own three "Charvet" ties. The first, I bought on ebay and I was suspicious of its authenticity because the silk just didn't have the luster of Charvet ties I'd seen at Neiman-Marcus. It is a nice tie, so I kept it and left positive feedback. My second Charvet tie I bought from NM and paid the full retail price because I loved it. The third "Charvet" tie I received last week from an ebay seller with only 4 negative feedback comments out of nearly 3000. The tie is one that I thought I had seen at Neiman-Marcus last fall. The tie I saw had a very simple design, a navy and burgundy barber stripe, that was unique by virtue of the exceptionally lustrous silk that shimmered as the viewing angle changed. Well, the tie I bought on ebay looks very plain and is, quite frankly, disappointing. The silk lacks the lustrous shimmer of the tie I saw in NM and I question whether or not it is authentic. I have concluded that I will no longer buy Charvet ties on ebay, since they are unique by virtue of the silk, a quality that I cannot assess via the web, even for a tie I have seen in the store.

So my questions are, have you ever had a similar experience, where you questioned the authenticity of an item bought on ebay and, even if the item were authentic, you would not have purchased it if you had seen it firsthand? Are there particular brands like Charvet that you cannot evaluate reliably without seeing them "in the flesh"? Finally, which brands are so frequently counterfeited that you wouldn't risk buying the brand on ebay?

mrpologuy

Reaction score
I would stay away from designer jeans and RLPL in my humble opinion. Most people do not provide enough pics to make a decision and some fakes are so good you can't tell from the pics.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Designer jeans, Prada, D&G, Armani..

RLPL, if its a simple design i.e. a plain Oxford or polo, it's probably fake.

Zubberah

Reaction score
Avoid all accessories from the big 4: Gucci, Versace, Armani, D&G. Eg. do a search on Versace Belts - didn't find one out of 200 listed that was genuine. Seriously not one. Avoid the bid 4 brands listed for t-shirts, belts, wallets, jeans, keyrings, caps, cufflinks, etc. The current items that are being counterfeited by the 100s now are designer undies now....

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sulka . . . for thongs.
laugh.gif

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In regards to BabyChickpea, the same can also be said for the french big 4 namely: LV, Chanel, Hermes and Dior.

mrpologuy

Reaction score
Labelking, I like your refernce to The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. I havn't read it since high school but am planning to again because of you.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrpologuy
Labelking, I like your refernce to The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. I havn't read it since high school but am planning to again because of you.
That story has the crescendo of a bomb; suddenly disappearing.

Shirley Jackson's stories are similar to Raymond Carver's in their tragic element.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
Sulka . . . for thongs.
laugh.gif

I'll have you know, sir, that was no thong!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
there are some reports in the past of suits MADE from fabrics of zegna that were passed off as suits BY zegna.

and as i have seen a lot of very good counterfeits of lacoste shirts, burberry shirts, ferragamo shoes, gucci shoes, louis vuitton man-bags here and around asia, i pretty much would avoid these brands, too.

ccffm1

Reaction score
You should also avoid 7 for all mankind, Blue Cult and such. Oh yes, and Mantoni.
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads