Brands that should have a better reputation...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by True North, Jun 24, 2008.

1. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Senior member

+1 on the Allen Edmonds comments. I love mine and consider them underrated.

While no one outside a few European countries will recognise it (and those that do may sneer), I have to mention WE - while you should steer clear of their 'business' clothing and any accessories whatsoever, they offer many good quality basics that are often very well cut and designed - at prices barely above H&M level. The same comment applies to Muji, at a slightly higher price and quality level.

My no. 1 example, however, has to be Seiko: While the reputation among WIS is appropriate to the quality (and diversity) of the product, consumers in the West generally regard Seiko as a low (in the US) or mid (in Europe) tier watch brand producing unexciting quartz watches. This, regarding a watch company of enormous horological significance that is the truest in-house manufacturer in existence and that produces both mechanical and quartz timepieces to rival the finest anywhere in the world.

2. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Gravati make nice shoes

Anyone I know who owns them says they are some of the most comfortable shoes they have ever owned.

3. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

Firado suits. Tremendous, tremendous value.

Really? I see these on ebay all the time and have wondered about them. Are they really that great of a value? How is the fit?

4. jsherman02

jsherman02 Senior member

Anyone I know who owns them says they are some of the most comfortable shoes they have ever owned.

They are great shoes...with old man lasts.

5. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, I'll second that. They source their skins in-house and so have more control over quality. I would rate their skins as being way above that of Crockett and Jones, a bit above Edward Green, and on a similar level to Vass or John Lobb Paris.

What does this mean? Doesn't everyone source their own skins in-house? How else would you get skins without sourcing them> Did you mean that they tan their own skins or own the tanneries? I think I have heard that before, though maybe only for the soles.

6. kaxixi

kaxixi Senior member

+1 on this, although I did not know about the Lagavulin lineage.

Spent many a good night (and cheap) with the Pale Pony.

Where can you get this stateside? I have only seen it in Asia.

7. kaxixi

kaxixi Senior member

My no. 1 example, however, has to be Seiko: While the reputation among WIS is appropriate to the quality (and diversity) of the product, consumers in the West generally regard Seiko as a low (in the US) or mid (in Europe) tier watch brand producing unexciting quartz watches. This, regarding a watch company of enormous horological significance that is the truest in-house manufacturer in existence and that produces both mechanical and quartz timepieces to rival the finest anywhere in the world.

+1

8. meauounji

meauounji Senior member

I personally think that Hickey Freeman makes some of the finest suits for the money. I've tried a bunch in the same price range, and still prefer the solid and luxurious feel over the others.

...before I get stones flung at me, I did mention "in the same price range" :p

9. Buddy

Buddy Member

John W. Nordstrom - the Egyptian cotton shirts.

10. Sator

Sator Senior member

Did you mean that they tan their own skins or own the tanneries? I think I have heard that before, though maybe only for the soles.

Yes, that is what they told me at the Madison Ave store and IIRC, have read it elsewhere. They prefer a vegetable tanning process.

11. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Peluso Shoes
    Caruso suits

Both are of extremely high quality and can be found at very very low prices.

I am a broken record.

On ties, +1 on Barney's house label
    Also on ties, Altea is a real bargin if found at Loehmans for $10.00, also their pocket squares are fantastic.

12. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Sartoria Partenopea

13. Egdon Heath

Egdon Heath Senior member

Also true of the partners at my firm - many of whom earn well in excess of seven figures - I've never seen any of them wearing anything better than their $325 AEs. It's sad that they're seemingly oblivious to the world of $700+ shoes out there.
    So that's your definition of sad? You'd be my definition of elitist shit head.

14. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

So that's your definition of sad? You'd be my definition of elitist shit head.

Spot the guy who doesn't belong on SF...

15. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

Peluso Shoes
    Caruso suits

Both are of extremely high quality and can be found at very very low prices.

I am a broken record.

On ties, +1 on Barney's house label
    Also on ties, Altea is a real bargin if found at Loehmans for $10.00, also their pocket squares are fantastic.

Did some searching and Caruso seems interesting. Where can you find fully canvassed versions? Anyone know if they do MTM at the factory in Parma?