Brands that represent quality above all else

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by voxsartoria, Nov 12, 2008.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I envy your direct access.

I'm trying to decide what to start with.

- B

I have at least one of almost everything. Let me know what you want to see.

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Apple Computer.

The feel, look and quality of the products is excellent. I also give them credit for their innovative nature and ability to do so much with so little (space, buttons, etc.). Just look at the new MacBook, the case is machined from a solid piece from aluminum so its stronger, and lighter because less screws are needed to hold it all together.

I hate to admit it, but you're right. I love my iPhone.

- B

3. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I have at least one of almost everything. Let me know what you want to see.

What does your wife like the most?

- B

4. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

What does your wife like the most?

- B

Her purse. Are you in the market? I think her belts and wallets are the best. My briefcase is really nice, but I don't use it a whole lot. The card cases are great.

6. merkur

merkur Senior member

7. tlmusic

tlmusic Senior member

MFSL, even in the old days, could also be somewhat inconsistent on the mastering. I'd say DCC was generally more consistent quality-wise.
    No shit? I have that, and a full MF Beatles set. Their sonics are suspect, though. - B
    I think here we are getting into taste, not quality. MFSL half-speed mastered every album (which takes significantly longer to accomplish), and they were the first to insist upon first generation master tapes as the source. Even major record companies often used inferior dubs for commercial releases, and they still do, even for high res digital. The pressings MFSL insisted upon were still, to this day, the quietest ever. They used a special type of vinyl, which is no longer made today, because it is so toxic to manufacture it requires a forgotten process. By comparison DCC (pressed by RTI) records are noisy, and have less signal to noise ratio. I am not talking about the mastering--I mean the pressing. I don't think DCC was compromising their quality intentionally, though--they were using the best methods available at the time. As to whether the sonics are suspect, this is a matter of taste, not quality. Master tapes come in all shapes and sizes, any many beloved albums were not recorded all that well. Mastering engineers have to apply their art to make the recording sound a way that is deemed "good" (by somebody) on a turntable. I don't think Steve Hoffman or Stan Ricker have ever been people to compromise quality in their work. For my taste, I don't like a lot of the DCC mastering. I think the records sound colored. Distant but pretty. They still have issued some of the best examples of many titles, though. For my taste, I don't like a lot of the MFSL mastering. I think the records sound colored. Too EQed and brittle sounding. I understand the owner of the company (who insisted upon utmost quality) liked that sound. They still have issued some of the best examples of many titles, though. Vox, look on ebay and see what your records are selling for[​IMG]

8. cheez80

cheez80 Well-Known Member

There's a car made for you. It's called the Prius.

- B

whoa whoa, i'm actually considering a maserati quattroporte duoselect for a daily driver. but i still can't consider ferrari/maserati a "quality" car maker; passionate and emotive perhaps, but not of the highest quality, in the strictest sense.

9. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Aero leather, Iron Heart, Vass, Edward Green.

10. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

whoa whoa, i'm actually considering a maserati quattroporte duoselect for a daily driver. but i still can't consider ferrari/maserati a "quality" car maker; passionate and emotive perhaps, but not of the highest quality, in the strictest sense.

Hah..!

Good call on the Maserati. I'm thinking about a GT...

- B

11. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Aero leather, Iron Heart, Vass, Edward Green.

A, I'm curious that you would have both Vass and EG.

I'd have to go Vass over EG by a mile...EG does have a variety that is unmatched, if one counts the last permutations, but do you really think that EG is uncompromising?

And for Aero, is it the entire line?

- B

12. kaxixi

kaxixi Senior member

Bower & Wilkins

That's a company that knows when to compromise. Their (fantastic) lower end speakers demonstrate this.

Snap-on tools

Yes.

My nomination goes to De Beers for their unrivaled history of industry custodianship. Your description of Alden reminds me of Talbott: they have their own thing going, and they're sticking to it. If we were allowed to nominate individuals, I would nominate Ludwig Beethoven, Gustav Mahler, Georges Seurat, Frank Lloyd Wright, and... James Heckman.

13. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Red Oxx luggage

I've never heard of them. What do you like about them?

- B

14. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Frank Lloyd Wright

I think that there was a bit of compromise with Wright, but who are we to criticize?

- B

15. tlmusic

tlmusic Senior member

but do you really think that EG is uncompromising? - B
    I think EG is pretty lax in their interest in fitting people, as many posts on this forum will confirm. Most stores that carry them in the US have little education about EG sizing, and I haven't found EG reps to be all that great at fitting shoes, either.