• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brands that represent quality above all else

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
Great question, B. For clothes I make the distinction between a brand (Hermes, JL Paris, Toyota/Lexus/Ferrari, Sulka, Patek) and a single person's product (Steed, April in Paris), in the same way that I think eating at Spice Market or Vong is different from eating where I can see Jean Georges in the kitchen. Although company philosophy and identity, especially if dictated and overseen by one person, is paramount - I tend to like products that I can have some specificity in. For example, instead of a Tom Ford suit made for X, a suit made for X by So and So. Subtle, but the distinction is there. - M
Yes, Vox, I thought you were referring to brands (company using economies of scale and mass marketing), as opposed to single craftsmen.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
Although company philosophy and identity, especially if dictated and overseen by one person, is paramount - I tend to like products that I can have some specificity in. For example, instead of a Tom Ford suit made for X, a suit made for X by So and So. Subtle, but the distinction is there.

- M

That's a interesting point. I guess I am open to the idea that a group of people can maintain a concept of excellence. I have no problem if this is tempered with realistic constraints.

That's why I started my list with Alden, since I believe they have remained true to their standards.

I think that products of this type, even if not the very best, can still be satisfying.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
Yes, Vox, I thought you were referring to brands (company using economies of scale and mass marketing), as opposed to single craftsmen.

I might be interesting to include both...by pitting one category against the other, I think we might come up with some common criteria.

- B

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Blue Note Records

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Original pressing Impulse.

- B

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab

Not the current company, but the one that existed in the late 1970' through the 1990's who had their LPs pressed by JVC in Japan. They made LPs, which are inherently noisy and funky, that are almost silent and quite consistent. These days people are paying over $1000 for sealed copies of MFSL UHQR copies of Dark Side of the Moon.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab

Not the current company, but the one that existed in the late 1970' through the 1990's who had their LPs pressed by JVC in Japan. They made LPs, which are inherently noisy and funky, that are almost silent and quite consistent. These days people are paying over $1000 for sealed copies of MFSL UHQR copies of Dark Side of the Moon.

MFSL, even in the old days, could also be somewhat inconsistent on the mastering. I'd say DCC was generally more consistent quality-wise.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
These days people are paying over $1000 for sealed copies of MFSL UHQR copies of Dark Side of the Moon.

No ****? I have that, and a full MF Beatles set.

Their sonics are suspect, though.

- B

cheez80

Reaction score
Interesting.

I would put Ferrari first when it comes to cars, though.

- B

ferrari, really? a quick flip through ferrarilife or maseratilife shows examples of drips and runs in paint, misaligned bumpers and doors, malfunctioning door switches, bubbling dashes...

i remember reading that some members, when ordering cars, specifically ask for cars assembled before the lunch break, since wine is freely served during lunch at the factory, haha.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheez80
ferrari, really? a quick flip through ferrarilife or maseratilife shows examples of drips and runs in paint, misaligned bumpers and doors, malfunctioning door switches, bubbling dashes...

i remember reading that some members, when ordering cars, specifically ask for cars assembled before the lunch break, since wine is freely served during lunch at the factory, haha.

There's a car made for you. It's called the Prius.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I love Bea. What more could you want?

I envy your direct access.

I'm trying to decide what to start with.

- B

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apple Computer.

The feel, look and quality of the products is excellent. I also give them credit for their innovative nature and ability to do so much with so little (space, buttons, etc.). Just look at the new MacBook, the case is machined from a solid piece from aluminum so its stronger, and lighter because less screws are needed to hold it all together.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's why I started my list with Alden, since I believe they have remained true to their standards.

I think that products of this type, even if not the very best, can still be satisfying.

- B

Yet another great point, very pertinent to what I see on SF. The fundamental question is 'which brand's/maker's standards does the consumer find satisfying, or enough?'

What is "satisfying" qualitative-wise to someone is very much dependent on what their level of "enough quality" is. For example, Mr. Fan's "enough" for shirts is Mattuozo, while others might be Jantzen.

And that's just with the starting point of quality, let alone aesthetic. As my daughter used to repeat after me, 'Booty (Beauty) is in the eye of the beholder!" I've chosen aesthetic over absolute best quality many times, as long as the level of quality was "enough."

- M

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads