1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Brands that represent quality above all else

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by voxsartoria, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

That's one cool pop psychoanalysis. I've got almost 5,000 posts and I'm a cipher[​IMG] Do one for me and you'll get a free tie!

Sorry, I was away. I'll do rnoldh and the other ones will have to wait until another psychiatrist logs in or I look at the forum again.

You're not a cipher; your obsession with Bush and his failures speaks volume about your unresolved Oedipal complex. Instead of doing the right thing and developing an healthy obsession for your mother (in this case Hillary Clinton), you improperly identified her as the possible source of your castration (the "I'd rather cut my penis than vote for her comments). This messed up with the formation of a healthy super-ego, leaving you unable to dominate your primal urges. Hence all those homo adventures in highway pit stop bathrooms. Contemporary politics have made your Id run wild and you can only expect your unchecked Eros to go crazier every minute; masturbating on the bus is but one small misstep away. I have no idea how you dress but I'm sure it ties in somewhere, you fag.

2. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Sorry, I was away. I'll do rnoldh and the other ones will have to wait until another psychiatrist logs in or I look at the forum again.

You're not a cipher; your obsession with Bush and his failures speaks volume about your unresolved Oedipal complex. Instead of doing the right thing and developing an healthy obsession for your mother (in this case Hillary Clinton), you improperly identified her as the possible source of your castration (the "I'd rather cut my penis than vote for her comments). This messed up with the formation of a healthy super-ego, leaving you unable to dominate your primal urges. Hence all those homo adventures in highway pit stop bathrooms. Contemporary politics have made your Id run wild and you can only expect your unchecked Eros to go crazier every minute; masturbating on the bus is but one small misstep away. I have no idea how you dress but I'm sure it ties in somewhere, you fag.

Yes, Hillary as my mommy!

Maybe this is why I voted and caucused for HRC in the DEM primaries.

3. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

I have only tried knives that are widely available in the typical nice kitchen store. I've never sought out the better stuff, and only became aware of it recently.

I bought a Shun for my father on a lark, as he is hard to buy for -- the stereotypical person who has everything. About a year later, I had occasion to use his knife, and I was blown away by it. I went to my local store to buy my own, and was talked into upgrading from Classic (what I got my father) to Elite. I have been very, very happy with those knives. I only got two, and I use them all the time. I don't really know that I would even notice better quality, nor can I imagine what it might do for me. (I would never get the Shun boning knife, because I scrape with my boning knife, and it would make me feel stupid and guilty to do that with a Shun.)

I can see the value of a super sharp, single bevel knife for someone cutting raw fish or other squishy, slippery goodies all the time. But I don't do that. Nearly all of what I cook is French or Italian or in that vein. For me, the Shun is probably better than I really need, I do however enjoy using them.

One thing I like about the Shuns is how rarely they need to be sharpened. I steel them before every use. I only very recently bought a water stone (also Shun, 1000/6000) and just started sharpening them on that. I am not that good at it yet, but I can tell that I have made them better.

Manton,

If you tried other "real" Japanese knife maker, you will notice the difference. Shun is consider a "middle" class product at best. The Japanese knife makers do make western knife, as shoefan said, called "Gyutou". It is almost same as western chef knife.

You can check these website for the Tokyo Artisugu:http://www.aritsugu.jp/cart/html/09gyt.htm

and Tukiji Masamoto:
    http://www.tukijimasamoto.co.jp/

I got my Gyutou engraved and sharpened at Kyoto Artisugu, I just love that knife.

4. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

6. unpainted huffheinz

unpainted huffheinz Senior member

You were surprised at the direction this thread took?

7. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

Brands that represent quality above all else

followed by

Alden

[​IMG]

8. jyook

jyook Senior member

9. StylenotFashion

StylenotFashion Senior member

Sulka had that quality of seemingly effortless elegance which I don't really find amongst current brands. Ralph's Purple Label has some of that, but not everything measures up to the same level: shirts for example are a weak point.

Sorry I have to disagree about the shirts.... I believe Lorenzini makes a great product and does NOT cut corners.

10. ccffm1

ccffm1 Senior member

That would explain the bruised toes.

- B

You should cover them in band aid.

11. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

On the Marine side:

Arco Winches

You gotta love this:

The AUSTRALIAN YACHT WINCH PTY. LTD. guarantees its products and each piece of equipment to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for an unlimited period of time. Any part that proves to be defective in the normal use of HUTTON and HUTTON-ORCA products will be replaced without charge.

Van Dam boats Highest quality workmanship I've ever seen. Worth a peek.