1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Brands that mean mediocrity

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PocketCircle, Jun 28, 2009.

1. twon12

twon12 Senior member

2. Corniche

Corniche Senior member

Hackett, see my post with a shirt of them.

Zegna mainline does great shirts, but their suits are baggy and overpriced .

3. DGP

DGP Senior member

I think you misunderstand the philosophy of this thread. Mediocrity has nothing to do with quality or value. We are talking about much more important and fundamental things here. Is Rolex an aspirational brand for smalltimers? Yes. Is it obtainable by smalltimers? Yes.

There's your answer.

I think that is a very silly definition of mediocrity. Honestly, I think the statement above is simply elitist bullshit. The much, much more common link between most of the brands mentioned previously is that they used to symbolize high quality and be class leaders and are using their previously earned reputation to now peddle crap.

4. comrade

comrade Senior member

I love Paul Stuart. They have held to their sense of dressing for the 25+ years that I have been a customer.

If you just take their basics like the sock and glove selection into account, you have one of NY's best shops. Not to mention they also have a wonderful selection of basic merino, alpaca and cashmere sweaters.

I work in the same neighborhood and I visit the shop almost weekly.[​IMG]

They have not strayed from their vision for the 50+ years I have known the store.
    My Dad bought me my first Paul Stuart suit in 1957. My Paul Stuart Tux, which is
    still wearable, is from 1965.

5. DGP

DGP Senior member

Just to clarify, I never said that they were mediocre, only overpriced. [​IMG]

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you did, I was replying to the post you replied to as much as yours. I actually have the same Breitling as you. Honestly, I don't think they offer the same value they once did. I bought mine new about 7 years ago from an AD for $1,025, and thought that was a superb value for the money, better than Tag, Omega, Baum Mercier or even Rolex. In those days, Omega discounted very little and Rolex didn't discount at all. Today, with retail prices having doubled and with the looming threat of losing the ability to use modified ETA movements (along with monstrously-sized cases), I just don't feel they offer the same value they once did. Build quality hasn't declined, and I'd hardly call them Mediocre, but I think there used to be a more compelling case to buy a Breitling vs. the competition. Those were also the days before the huge shiny Breitling became trendy.

6. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Hackett, see my post with a shirt of them.

Zegna mainline does great shirts, but their suits are baggy and overpriced .

You find the Milano or Coture baggy? Are you trying on the right size?

7. Corniche

Corniche Senior member

I forgot to mention the most douche brand for me

Gucci![​IMG] [​IMG]

8. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I forgot to mention the most douche brand for me

Gucci![​IMG] [​IMG]

Que tal Corniche?

Gucci , Versace ,Dolce and so many others.

9. Classically

Classically Senior member

Clothing brands are mediocrity. Except for socks etc, one must go bespoke.

-

Even underwear?

10. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member

Even underwear?

Especially underwear.

11. calisanfran

calisanfran Senior member

I go bespoke handkerchief.

12. aleeboy

aleeboy Senior member

You find the Milano or Coture baggy? Are you trying on the right size?

I agree. Zegna fits my body perfectly. Broad at the shoulders, thick in the chest and upper back and narrow in the waist. What's not to like?

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Especially underwear.
    I can just imagine someone walking into the Kiton flagship store in Naples and asking to see their underwear swatches [​IMG]