• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brands that mean mediocrity

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Which "luxury" brands do you associate with mediocrity?

For me, it has to be Zegna... and even worse Tods.

ccffm1

Reaction score
Louis Vuitton and Burberry. Monogram, Damier, Nova Check, they´re all making me sick.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
It pains me to say this, but I think that if you had to pick the epicenter of "luxury" mediocrity, it would be today's Brooks Brothers.

It's absolutely horrifying to walk into their Boston store these days. It's like a Gap with all life beaten out of it.

The Black Fleece veneer of higher ambition, and the lingering existence of some things that are acceptable, only magnify how crappy it has become.

- B

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PocketCircle
For me, it has to be Zegna
Zegna still make some excellent stuff, but they have invented cheaper lines which have made the whole brand appear cheapened. An example is the whole Z Zegna thing. Their fabric quality and construction is still very good for the better lines, they havent reached the doldrums of Hugo Boss just yet.

riverrun

Reaction score
Rubinacci.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hugo BOSS: Banana Republic quality at 25% higher price points.
Armani Collezioni: Shirting is absolute garbage for the >$200 price point. The Made in Italy trousers are slightly better though the $300 price tag is ridiculous. AC suiting is just bad.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers. They're the Belgium of clothiers. High quality boredom.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BB (not for quality, but for fit), Hugo Boss, lower line Zegna (higher line stuff are still great, fit doesn't really work for my body, but I wouldn't call the fit uninspiring, which is the case for BB, in my opinion).

soupcxan

Reaction score
Is it possible to be mediocre and overpriced? Then I nominate Thomas Pink.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by soupcxan
Is it possible to be mediocre and overpriced? Then I nominate Thomas Pink.

I think the combination implies worse-than-mediocre. Hence, Thomas Pink.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really like any of those Jermyn St shirtmakers *** chain shops, but fail to see what make Thomas Pink worse than the others.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
It pains me to say this, but I think that if you had to pick the epicenter of "luxury" mediocrity, it would be today's Brooks Brothers.

It's absolutely horrifying to walk into their Boston store these days. It's like a Gap with all life beaten out of it.

- B

The same can be said of Jos A Bank, IMO.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clothing brands are mediocrity. Except for socks etc, one must go bespoke.

-

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

The Black Fleece veneer of higher ambition, and the lingering existence of some things that are acceptable, only magnify how crappy it has become.

- B

I agree with Vox, BB. I don't look forward to my trips there as much as I once did. I was looking forward to visiting BB in Boston on my recent trip, but instead left the store very disappointed.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
I don't really like any of those Jermyn St shirtmakers *** chain shops, but fail to see what make Thomas Pink worse than the others.
You're right but the other ones haven't really reached America

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads