1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Brands that have INCREASED quality over time?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by FidelCashflow, Dec 3, 2008.

1. robasaurus

robasaurus Senior member

What exactly have they done? I read the stuff on the website... but it's all over my head.

They completely overhauled their factory to streamline production. They were making both fused and half-canvas garments, but they've since ditched the fused product (which I believe was actually the bulk of what they were making) and they are now making half-canvas garments without a significant price increase. They've been refining their cuts as well. Over the last couple of seasons, every time my store has received the new Coppley MTM spec book, I've had to actually study it because it's so different from the previous season. It's leaps and bounds, really.

Eton still does that heavy, stiff fusible, by the way.

2. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Senior member

I'd like to add Brooks Brothers to the list. The quality and has improved dramatically since it was purchased by Claudio Del Vecchio.

3. Mathew J

Mathew J Senior member

4. lexmann

lexmann Senior member

Hyundai
    Omega

Agree with you about Hyundai. I used to drive a Honda Accord. Now I drive a Hyundai Sonata 2009. It's assembled in the States. Very good quality indeed. I saw their Genesis at the dealer this morning when I brought my car for an oil change. Wow, what a beautiful car! I am so impressed by their craftmanship.

5. comrade

comrade Senior member

I've known Paul Stuart since the mid-1950s. They were never down market.
    At the time they carried their own models in Southwick Clothing. This was at least
    the equivalent to the Brooks Bros "346" label, which for Brooks was the line just
    below their "Own Make" range. I still have a Paul Stuart Tuxedo from 1965.
    According to my tailor, a similar garment would run around $2000 today.
    Hardly down market.

6. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

True dat. They were next to the Foundling Hospital down at 7th (6th?) and 17th St. I believe they maintained a presence there until the mid-90's.

Yup, they were at 7th between 16th & 17th. The whole store was sprawling space spread several inter-connected buildings that included the base of a pre-war co-op, several loft buildings and town houses. The space was quite charming with sky-lights in the top floors. The Chelsea and Madison Ave. flagships co-existed for several months before the Chelsea store was closed. I much preferred the downtown store. The only remaining ties to its birth place are the warehouse sale and Chelsea Passage.

When historians and urban planners look back at Chelsea, Barneys was the catalyst to Chelsea's transformation. It attracted teh gheys to the area to shop and then they decided to move in.

7. undarted

undarted Senior member

I'd like to add Brooks Brothers to the list. The quality and has improved dramatically since it was purchased by Claudio Del Vecchio.

I don't know who that is, but most of their men's line this year seems like a step closer to Jos A Bank.

8. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Senior member

I don't know who that is, but most of their men's line this year seems like a step closer to Jos A Bank.

You must not be shopping in Manhasset. [​IMG]

9. v0rtex

v0rtex Senior member

Balenciaga, Lanvin, Gucci... all went through a recent reinvention after a long decline in quality.

10. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

Eton still does that heavy, stiff fusible, by the way.

So, are you saying that they do both the softer collar and the heavier collar, or am I just imagining stuff about the collar being softer than what I recall?

11. micbain

micbain Senior member

Agree with you about Hyundai. I used to drive a Honda Accord. Now I drive a Hyundai Sonata 2009. It's assembled in the States. Very good quality indeed. I saw their Genesis at the dealer this morning when I brought my car for an oil change. Wow, what a beautiful car! I am so impressed by their craftmanship.

Omega PO FTW! Seriously nice.