Brands that have INCREASED quality over time?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by FidelCashflow, Dec 3, 2008.

1. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

We always here about brands cutting corners on quality to slash prices and prop up margins. How many brands have you encountered that have actually increased product quality over time?

I purchased my first Eton shirt in about 2 years today. I was ironing it (since I don't trust non-iron anything) and was pleasantly surprised to discover that they've switched over to single-needle tailoring as opposed to the lower quality double-stitch.

I've also heard Coppley's website claim that they're making strides in quality and catching up to Italian companies like Canali, but I can't comment on how accurate that is since I'm not an expert on suit construction.

2. Rampart

Rampart Senior member

As for shirts, Eton are certainly better now, I've noticed that as well. I'd also say that Dior shirts now are better constructed than they were years ago..

3. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

I also just noticed that the patterns are matched at the sleeves, I don't believe they were before. As well the collar no longer uses the stiff heavy fusing that was their trademark before.

4. babygreenspots

babygreenspots Senior member

There are quite a few designer brands that have increased quality, but that was usually part of a general rebranding process that involved getting rid of licensed products. Christian Dior, Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent all come to mind. I think Burberry has also gotten better.

5. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

Gaziano & Girling.

6. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

Define "quality".

7. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Edward Green. No personal experience, but Manton has said their work took a significant turn for the better after John Hlustik acquired them in the '80s.

8. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

I think you could make an argument for J. Crew.

When they debuted in the early 90s, it was a sad Ivy League wannabe.

Now their styling is worlds sharper, but they can also sell you a canvassed blazer. Fabrics have improved as well.

9. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Also, Paul Stuart.

When Frazier wrote about them in 1960, they were one of the downmarket places where you could get the Ivy League look.

Nowadays, downmarket they are not.

10. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

Barneys New York started out as a discounter in Chelsea when Chelsea was a dump. Barneys went up scale & Chelsea gentrified when teh gheys started to move in in the early 80's.

11. romafan

romafan Senior member

Barneys New York started out as a discounter in Chelsea when Chelsea was a dump. Barneys went up scale & Chelsea gentrified when teh gheys started to move in in the early 80's.

True dat. They were next to the Foundling Hospital down at 7th (6th?) and 17th St. I believe they maintained a presence there until the mid-90's.

12. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Didn't know that about Barney's. Cool.

13. babygreenspots

babygreenspots Senior member

True dat. They were next to the Foundling Hospital down at 7th (6th?) and 17th St. I believe they maintained a presence there until the mid-90's.

Isn't that right about where the outlet store is now?

14. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Isn't that right about where the outlet store is now?

Store location is now a buddhist museum and Loehman's.

15. RSN125

RSN125 Senior member

We always here about brands cutting corners on quality to slash prices and prop up margins. How many brands have you encountered that have actually increased product quality over time?

I purchased my first Eton shirt in about 2 years today. I was ironing it (since I don't trust non-iron anything) and was pleasantly surprised to discover that they've switched over to single-needle tailoring as opposed to the lower quality double-stitch.

I've also heard Coppley's website claim that they're making strides in quality and catching up to Italian companies like Canali, but I can't comment on how accurate that is since I'm not an expert on suit construction.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012