Brands that are tacky

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Rbethell11, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Enema

Enema Member

All the ones that like to[​IMG]

2. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Tackiness is a difficult concept to analyze.

Indeed it is.

A Burberry cap can be seen as nice, but then on the heads of street scum, a supposedly fine item can be demoted to tacky. Similarly, Stone Island is a brand that could be deemed nice in a casual sense. Then when an outbreak of football hooligans wearing Stone Island Jumpers or Jackets are smashing each others brains in, we turn around and think "Stone Island is tacky".

Rap Stars and football stars wearing D&G essentially demoted their clothing to "clothes for the brainless masses". Nothing really wrong with D&G when you think about it, but who predominantly wears it?

I guess tackiness is partially defined by "who wears it".

3. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Senior member

Burberry's check can be tacky especially when over-used...
    +1

How did they start using their raincoat liners for the outside of garments?

4. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

I disagree about lacoste. I think they make great use of colour most of the time. And I'm glad they've movied beyond their classic colours.

5. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Burberry's check can be tacky especially when over-used...
    I'm sure Burberry has been trying to play down their infamous plaid these days. Reserving it for where it belongs, the inside linings of their coats and macs. So if one does see anything obviously showing it, is either counterfeit or it's an older item. Here in China it probably goes without saying that one find items in Burberry plaid everywhere.

6. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

+1 How did they start using their raincoat liners for the outside of garments?
    Burberry versus The Chavs: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4381140.stm Only five years ago, Burberry was the darling of the fashion world after undergoing one of the most envied brand reinventions of recent years. "It really tapped into a sense of the early years of the millennia," says Andrea Cockram of Verdict Research. But all too quickly, the brand became a victim of its own success. Label-conscious football hooligans started to adopt the distinctive check. "It was associated with people who did bad stuff, who went wild on the terraces," says Peter York. "Quite a lot of people thought that Burberry would be worn by the person who mugged them." Last summer there was more bad news for Burberry, when pubs and clubs across the country began to ban customers who dressed in the label. [​IMG]

7. Patek

Patek Senior member

The "H" belt...

8. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

What brands do you feel produce tacky clothing. I think Gucci, D&G, Lacoste, and sometimes Express and Ralph Lauren do. Lacoste and Express use the most absurd colors. Ralph Lauren's horse, and Lacoste's alligator are oversized on way too many shirts, which just makes you appear obnoxious and brand obsessed. D&G and Gucci are just becoming too logo happy. Any other brands you can think of?
    Leave Lacoste and Ralph Lauren out of this. You got something against colour? We've had 30 years of the post-nuclear fallout black and grey look. Colours are here to stay so put on a happy face and get used to it.

9. andrew96

andrew96 Senior member

The king of tacky in my mind is anything Ralph Lauren. He has fallen more than a few notches from his Brooks Brothers salesman days. He is a marketing genius, and as businessman I admire him. He is able to market completely across the board with one name, from the ghetto blacks that buy his "Beverly Hills Polo Assoc." crap to businessmen and politicians with his Purple Label. Although I think his brand is complete rubbish. I don't wear it and won't wear it.

I'd say another big one in his category is Coach. Coach is going downhill in the same way.

Many brands milk their name by producing everything, like Burberry watches. I think that's tacky, but I can't blame them, it makes billions of dollars.

Other than kid's brands like Hollister, Aeropostale and Old Navy I'd say these brands make the top of my tackiness list:

1: Ralph Lauren

2: Coach

3: Channel

4: Gucci

5: Armani

6: Burberry

PS: My policy if the logo on it is over "1 square it's tacky.

10. Rbethell11

Rbethell11 Member

I just went spring shopping - the ralph lauren line was way too tacky for me to buy anything (of course its personal opinion). But outlandish colors (different shades of browns mixed with oranges and purples)

yuck

11. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

US Polo Association has got nowt to do with Lauren. I wondered about this but it even says so on the tags. I still don't know how they get away with a logo and a brand name so close to an established brand.

12. Rbethell11

Rbethell11 Member

US Polo Association has got nowt to do with Lauren. I wondered about this but it even says so on the tags. I still don't know how they get away with a logo and a brand name so close to an established brand.

Fail - polo association was created way before ralph lauren polo. So if you are going to put down either of the brands for copying, or for making a knock off, its ralph lauren polo. Just a classic example of "ralph lauren costs more, therefore it must be the original"

13. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

'polo' is a common noun and dictionary word, e.g. polo shirt or, polo a game played on horseback. This basically means any organisation or corporation can have products or services and call them 'polo', and there is nothing anyone else can do about it. See also VW Polo cars and Rowntree's Polo mints. A word like 'Microsoft' on the other hand is NOT a common noun, and so it can used as a trademark.

14. NORE

NORE Senior member

15. Nathaniel72

Nathaniel72 Senior member

Traditional Burberry plaid has got to go, and that's all there is to it.