• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brands that are tacky

Enema

Reaction score
All the ones that like to
foo.gif

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Tackiness is a difficult concept to analyze.

Indeed it is.

A Burberry cap can be seen as nice, but then on the heads of street scum, a supposedly fine item can be demoted to tacky. Similarly, Stone Island is a brand that could be deemed nice in a casual sense. Then when an outbreak of football hooligans wearing Stone Island Jumpers or Jackets are smashing each others brains in, we turn around and think "Stone Island is tacky".

Rap Stars and football stars wearing D&G essentially demoted their clothing to "clothes for the brainless masses". Nothing really wrong with D&G when you think about it, but who predominantly wears it?

I guess tackiness is partially defined by "who wears it".

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree about lacoste. I think they make great use of colour most of the time. And I'm glad they've movied beyond their classic colours.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Burberry's check can be tacky especially when over-used...
I'm sure Burberry has been trying to play down their infamous plaid these days. Reserving it for where it belongs, the inside linings of their coats and macs. So if one does see anything obviously showing it, is either counterfeit or it's an older item. Here in China it probably goes without saying that one find items in Burberry plaid everywhere.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ALFAMALE
+1 How did they start using their raincoat liners for the outside of garments?
Burberry versus The Chavs: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4381140.stm Only five years ago, Burberry was the darling of the fashion world after undergoing one of the most envied brand reinventions of recent years. "It really tapped into a sense of the early years of the millennia," says Andrea Cockram of Verdict Research. But all too quickly, the brand became a victim of its own success. Label-conscious football hooligans started to adopt the distinctive check. "It was associated with people who did bad stuff, who went wild on the terraces," says Peter York. "Quite a lot of people thought that Burberry would be worn by the person who mugged them." Last summer there was more bad news for Burberry, when pubs and clubs across the country began to ban customers who dressed in the label.
daniella%20westbrook_1.jpg

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "H" belt...

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rbethell11
What brands do you feel produce tacky clothing. I think Gucci, D&G, Lacoste, and sometimes Express and Ralph Lauren do. Lacoste and Express use the most absurd colors. Ralph Lauren's horse, and Lacoste's alligator are oversized on way too many shirts, which just makes you appear obnoxious and brand obsessed. D&G and Gucci are just becoming too logo happy. Any other brands you can think of?
Leave Lacoste and Ralph Lauren out of this. You got something against colour? We've had 30 years of the post-nuclear fallout black and grey look. Colours are here to stay so put on a happy face and get used to it.

andrew96

Reaction score
The king of tacky in my mind is anything Ralph Lauren. He has fallen more than a few notches from his Brooks Brothers salesman days. He is a marketing genius, and as businessman I admire him. He is able to market completely across the board with one name, from the ghetto blacks that buy his "Beverly Hills Polo Assoc." crap to businessmen and politicians with his Purple Label. Although I think his brand is complete rubbish. I don't wear it and won't wear it.

I'd say another big one in his category is Coach. Coach is going downhill in the same way.

Many brands milk their name by producing everything, like Burberry watches. I think that's tacky, but I can't blame them, it makes billions of dollars.

Other than kid's brands like Hollister, Aeropostale and Old Navy I'd say these brands make the top of my tackiness list:

1: Ralph Lauren

2: Coach

3: Channel

4: Gucci

5: Armani

6: Burberry

PS: My policy if the logo on it is over "1 square it's tacky.

Rbethell11

Reaction score
I just went spring shopping - the ralph lauren line was way too tacky for me to buy anything (of course its personal opinion). But outlandish colors (different shades of browns mixed with oranges and purples)

yuck

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
US Polo Association has got nowt to do with Lauren. I wondered about this but it even says so on the tags. I still don't know how they get away with a logo and a brand name so close to an established brand.

Rbethell11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
US Polo Association has got nowt to do with Lauren. I wondered about this but it even says so on the tags. I still don't know how they get away with a logo and a brand name so close to an established brand.

Fail - polo association was created way before ralph lauren polo. So if you are going to put down either of the brands for copying, or for making a knock off, its ralph lauren polo. Just a classic example of "ralph lauren costs more, therefore it must be the original"

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
'polo' is a common noun and dictionary word, e.g. polo shirt or, polo a game played on horseback. This basically means any organisation or corporation can have products or services and call them 'polo', and there is nothing anyone else can do about it. See also VW Polo cars and Rowntree's Polo mints. A word like 'Microsoft' on the other hand is NOT a common noun, and so it can used as a trademark.

Nathaniel72

Reaction score
Traditional Burberry plaid has got to go, and that's all there is to it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads