Brands of shirts to avoid

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Razeus, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Razeus

Razeus Senior member

What brand of shirts should I avoid.

I was looking at Boss at Off 5th because I'm looking to get 3 new button downs in black, grey and brown. The Boss shirts where the most expensive ones compared to Ike Behar (my current favorite), Burberry and Hickey Freeman. The Boss shirts seemed "shiny" though. Like club wear, nothing appropriate for looking stylish in the office.

What are some brands to avoid? How's Boss?

2. HalfCanvas

HalfCanvas Senior member

What kind of office do you work in? If you're worried that the shininess of a Boss shirt is not office appropriate, then a black shirt (and, depending on the particular shades, the grey and brown shirts) is not office appropriate either.

Of the brands you mentioned, in order of quality, I'd put: (1) Behar; (2) Hickey Freeman (close second to Behar); (3) Burberry; and (4) Boss. However, the Boss will fit you much better since it is far trimmer through the waist.

Still, between Boss and Banana Republic's line of slim fit shirts that they just came out with, I'd recommend the Banana Republic. J. Crew also has a "tailored fit" shirt that you can find online, and I think they have superior construction and fabrics compared to Boss.

3. Razeus

Razeus Senior member

i'm an accountant at a construction company (precasting acutally). The only guy on the admin staff, but since i'm an accountant (1 of 2), I feel I need to not wear ill fitting, faded jeans and polo style shirts and steel toe boots.

It's just how I like to represent myself: professional, stylish. Yet my clothes can be worn out for a night on the town too. Versatile.

Wow, didn't know Ike Behar shirts were considered that great. They are the cheapest ones I find at the store and feel great (need to get rid of my waistline puffiness though). I've got like 5 or 6 of them now.

4. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

However, the Boss will fit you much better since it is far trimmer through the waist.

I find Boss Hugo Boss to be hit and miss when it comes to fit, and I say this as one of the few Boss fans on this forum. Some stuff fits wonderfully, other stuff has way too much excess fabric...and both shirts will be the standard offering, not the "Fitted" models.

I'd leave the black/gray/brown shirts for nights on the town. I don't wear mine at work as I find them a little too club wear, as Razeus noted.

5. Razeus

Razeus Senior member

Actually those colors would be fine for my office. I don't have to wear a tie, nor a suit. Just need to look well cut and groomed.

6. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

One thing to consider is that dark colored shirts will look old faster if you wear and wash them a lot. Most cleaners don't know how to handle them well and will often ruin the collars by pressing them to a shine or fading them. For this reason you might be better off with lighter colors anyway unless you want to wash your shirts yourself.

7. JPYPSU07

JPYPSU07 Senior member

The quality of Burberry and Hickey Freeman are the same -- both brands are made by Gitman Co. which has their factory ~10 miles from my house. I own all 3 brands and mysteriously only the Gitman brand shirts really fit me well without being tailored.

8. visionology

visionology Senior member

The best part is you can find HF, Burberry, and IB all at steep discounts most of the time.

9. Razeus

Razeus Senior member

The best part is you can find HF, Burberry, and IB all at steep discounts most of the time.

I can....the Off 5th by my house has tons of this stuff for 50-70. HF is 70, BB is 60 and IB is 50. I love the look and feel of IB. The other 2, I don't know..just don't look good to me for some reason.

10. Holstein Bilter

Holstein Bilter Senior member

Wow 70 dollars for a shirt. That's steep..seriously...

11. Razeus

Razeus Senior member

Wow 70 dollars for a shirt. That's steep..seriously...

Considering the tag says "orginally $169"

$149 for the IB's.

12. wheelerray

wheelerray Senior member

Considering the tag says "orginally $169"

$149 for the IB's.

Still seriously steep for those brands. My local (Sacramento, CA) Nordstrom Rack has them from $19 to $34, depending on quality of the material. I usually avoid Off 5th, as they're really pricy.

13. Razeus

Razeus Senior member

Still seriously steep for those brands. My local (Sacramento, CA) Nordstrom Rack has them from $19 to $34, depending on quality of the material. I usually avoid Off 5th, as they're really pricy.

The best i can do here. There's not a Nordstrom rack here. Plus Off 5th always gives me a $10 off coupon so I actually get another 10 bucks chopped off the price.