• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brands geared towards averagely big guys?

Jared7

Reaction score
Couldn't resist
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

ohboymyo

Reaction score
If you go to a nicer store, like Ralph Lauren or some place with lots of staff they'll have good recommendations for you. Neiman Marcus and Barney's might give you some help as well. They wanna sell you stuff so they definitely want to find out what you'd fit in.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I love those discussion about what being a "real man" is and why all people w. 28-30 waists are girly losers or those at 34-36 are lard asses. It becomes waaayyy more surreal when some super cut gym rat is posted and even the gym rats are like "nah, guy isn't muscular, look at those thighs" Way to go styleforum!

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But he only has veins in his arms? He's clearly obese, everyone on style forum is 5% body fat and has visible capillaries on their abs.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
But he only has veins in his arms? He's clearly obese, everyone on style forum is 5% body fat and has visible capillaries on their abs.

I have visible hair on my abs, does this count as being super cut?

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coco2010
u can achieve that look naturally. it just takes time and dedication.

Not really. Time and dedication mean nothing when your beset by injuries.

Originally Posted by coco2010
there natural bodybuilders today who look bigger than him without any sort of gear.

Yeah, there are some, but there are far more natural bodybuilders working out for 10+ years who don't. And comparing a natural bodybuilder in the 50s to one now raises all the problems mentioned in the MMA thread about comparing someone in today's UFC to back in the day when it just started.

Originally Posted by Nicola
What size?

That size. It's right there in plain view.

Originally Posted by Nicola
Only veins showing are on his arms. No veins elsewhere. Not even his neck or forehead.

You forgot the veins on his calves.

Originally Posted by Stylin-1
Yeah well, this is how bodybuilders looked before drugs were available.

I don't know if Reeves was on drugs, but just from a historical point of view, he could have been. I mean anabolics were being tested with in the 30s, Reeves was at his peak in the late 50s/early 60s I believe, and it wasn't that long after that a teenage Arnold was pretty huge.

Originally Posted by LA Guy
Honestly, not impressed unless he can actually do athletic activities. I'm guessing not, but I'm prepared to be surprised.

He probably did some running and ducking in World War 2 if that counts.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I love those discussion about what being a "real man" is and why all people w. 28-30 waists are girly losers or those at 34-36 are lard asses. It becomes waaayyy more surreal when some super cut gym rat is posted and even the gym rats are like "nah, guy isn't muscular, look at those thighs" Way to go styleforum!
One needs to have exactly a 32" waist in order to avoid being criticized by the forum. Most people can never live up to the ideals espoused here. I'd actually be embarrassed to recommend this forum to anyone I know. Which begs the question why I am even here reading this inane thread? Frequently this place feels like a guilty pleasure, similar to watching an awful TV show or movie.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Honestly, not impressed unless he can actually do athletic activities. I'm guessing not, but I'm prepared to be surprised.

Actually bodybuilding back in the day was a far cry from what it is now. Back then the guys placed great emphasis on athletic ability. Lots of them had a signiture trick or stunt like doing a standing backflip while holding dumbbells. Can't remember off the top of my head who that was.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
Actually bodybuilding back in the day was a far cry from what it is now. Back then the guys placed great emphasis on athletic ability. Lots of them had a signiture trick or stunt like doing a standing backflip while holding dumbbells. Can't remember off the top of my head who that was.

I remember Arnold had pictures of him running through mountainous (sp?) terrain as his cardio sometimes. Like some super legit trails, with steep inclines. I'd like to see Ronnie Coleman do that.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
Not really. Time and dedication mean nothing when your beset by injuries.

Yeah, there are some, but there are far more natural bodybuilders working out for 10+ years who don't. And comparing a natural bodybuilder in the 50s to one now raises all the problems mentioned in the MMA thread about comparing someone in today's UFC to back in the day when it just started.

That size. It's right there in plain view.

You forgot the veins on his calves.

I don't know if Reeves was on drugs, but just from a historical point of view, he could have been. I mean anabolics were being tested with in the 30s, Reeves was at his peak in the late 50s/early 60s I believe, and it wasn't that long after that a teenage Arnold was pretty huge.

He probably did some running and ducking in World War 2 if that counts.

He was born in 1926 and was well on his way to genetic perfection by age 17-18, so I'm guessing he wasn't. The picture I posted was right around his mid 20's which would put the date ~1950. True anabolics weren't available in this country until the late '50's, and if you look at him in Hercules from '57, he's slightly past his peak and looking a little softer. I suppose he still could've dabbled in basic testosterone in the '40's, which was obscure. He always maintained that he didn't.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
This thread is amazing, have someone saying a guy who deadlifts 500lbs has a week lower body and someone saying a guy who is like 10% body fat isn't lean. All you guys complaining j crew small isn't small enough must be ******* stacked.
Seriously. If you are around 10-15% body fat, you're in decent shape. You gotta be extremely dedicated or just have good genes to be in the single digit range.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Seriously. If you are around 10-15% body fat, you're in decent shape. You gotta be extremely dedicated or just have good genes to be in the single digit range.

or be an ectomorph/not eat a lot/have a coke addiction.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads