• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MCanavan6

Reaction score
I'm just starting to get into owning nicer clothes and have been moving slowly into the slim fitting (or well fitting) clothes for a while now. I have read articles and posts but my biggest problem with finding clothes is knowing which brands of clothes are the best bang for the buck. I feel like I've spent so much money in the past on clothes I thought were well made/fit well only to have them fall apart a year later. I have figured out the fit aspect and now I need to figure out which brands are best. I'm not looking for the best/most expensive just well priced clothes that are well made and will last long. I am 5'10" and 160 lbs (athletic build) and need to buy slim shirts and pants/jeans. Brands of clothes I'm looking for are casual wear. Articles like: Dress Shirts, T-Shirts (V-Necks), Raw Denim, Chinos/Khakis, Hoodies, and Blazers. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need to clarify what you consider "well priced", but that is relative on a community forum.

Good basics brands are:

- wings + horns
- Uniqlo
- Unis
- Margaret Howell

MCanavan6

Reaction score

You need to clarify what you consider "well priced", but that is relative on a community forum.
Good basics brands are:
- wings + horns
- Uniqlo
- Unis
- Margaret Howell

I'd say $100-$200 for jeans, $50-$100 for shirts, $20-$30 for t-shirts, and $200 or so for a blazer, obviously if I can get them you less that's what I'd prefer but I could pay these amounts fine.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Based on those parameters, you should just Uniqlo everything.

jkoll

Reaction score
I'm in a similair spot as you. I've gotten a lot of good information about basics from this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/279552/the-official-affordable-swag-thread

My build is: 6'1", 165 lbs.
I stepped up my denim game from $40 slim-straight levi's (size 31), to apc ns indigo (size 28). I couldn't be happier with the apc's since they have broken in. Other denim I liked when trying on is: nudie slim jims, n&f weird guy, acne max cash. For t-shirts, h&m house brand (logg, not "divided") fit me very well in size medium. The next best fit in t-shirts is bdg from urban outfitters, although the necks are too tight for me.
And the rest is still a work in progress...

Blackmaged

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd say $100-$200 for jeans, $50-$100 for shirts, $20-$30 for t-shirts, and $200 or so for a blazer, obviously if I can get them you less that's what I'd prefer but I could pay these amounts fine.

given sales or B&S prices, you could upgrade from uniqlo and grab the following:

shirts: gitman vintage, band of outsiders (if it fits your figure), wolf vs. goat
t-shirts: american apparel, alternative apparel, uniqlo
jeans: wings + horns, APC
sweaters: sns herning
blazers: no idea, you're on your own

also try checking out yoox once in a while if you're feeling adventurous. good return policy and can often times find neat stuff that fits your bill.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwelveSixtyNine_Gabe