Brands for Basics

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by MCanavan6, Jun 10, 2012.

1. MCanavan6

MCanavan6 Well-Known Member

I'm just starting to get into owning nicer clothes and have been moving slowly into the slim fitting (or well fitting) clothes for a while now. I have read articles and posts but my biggest problem with finding clothes is knowing which brands of clothes are the best bang for the buck. I feel like I've spent so much money in the past on clothes I thought were well made/fit well only to have them fall apart a year later. I have figured out the fit aspect and now I need to figure out which brands are best. I'm not looking for the best/most expensive just well priced clothes that are well made and will last long. I am 5'10" and 160 lbs (athletic build) and need to buy slim shirts and pants/jeans. Brands of clothes I'm looking for are casual wear. Articles like: Dress Shirts, T-Shirts (V-Necks), Raw Denim, Chinos/Khakis, Hoodies, and Blazers. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. London

London Senior member

You need to clarify what you consider "well priced", but that is relative on a community forum.

Good basics brands are:

- wings + horns
    - Uniqlo
    - Unis
    - Margaret Howell

3. MCanavan6

MCanavan6 Well-Known Member

I'd say $100-$200 for jeans, $50-$100 for shirts, $20-$30 for t-shirts, and $200 or so for a blazer, obviously if I can get them you less that's what I'd prefer but I could pay these amounts fine.

4. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Based on those parameters, you should just Uniqlo everything.

5. jkoll

jkoll Active Member

I'm in a similair spot as you. I've gotten a lot of good information about basics from this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/279552/the-official-affordable-swag-thread

My build is: 6'1", 165 lbs.
    I stepped up my denim game from $40 slim-straight levi's (size 31), to apc ns indigo (size 28). I couldn't be happier with the apc's since they have broken in. Other denim I liked when trying on is: nudie slim jims, n&f weird guy, acne max cash. For t-shirts, h&m house brand (logg, not "divided") fit me very well in size medium. The next best fit in t-shirts is bdg from urban outfitters, although the necks are too tight for me.
    And the rest is still a work in progress...

6. Blackmaged

Blackmaged Senior member

given sales or B&S prices, you could upgrade from uniqlo and grab the following:

shirts: gitman vintage, band of outsiders (if it fits your figure), wolf vs. goat
    t-shirts: american apparel, alternative apparel, uniqlo
    jeans: wings + horns, APC
    sweaters: sns herning
    blazers: no idea, you're on your own

also try checking out yoox once in a while if you're feeling adventurous. good return policy and can often times find neat stuff that fits your bill.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012