• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brands/Designers that get a lot of hate on here.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How does RL get lots of hate around here? IIRC, RLPL, RLBL, Polo, etc. make up large percentages of member's wardrobes.

As for the others, I think they rightly get a lot of "hate." There really is nothing noteworthy about Hollister, American Eagle, AX, etc. for guys really interested in style/fashion. It's good for young college guys, but beyond that... it's time to move on.

Major brands like Prada, Gucci, Valentino, Armani, etc. also often get a lot of negative attention, largely because of what we perceive to be gigantic gaps in their quality-to-price ratio. Nevertheless, from each of those brand sometimes come noteworthy items that warrant a second look. I'm not sure the same can be said of Hollister.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I'm not sure the same can be said of Hollister.

Or of Theory.

FormalFashion08

Reaction score
I think the normal Ralph Lauren generates most of the disdain toward RL on here.

Maybe because they charge a lot for the name, but the quality isn't anywhere near Purple Label

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not Kenneth Cole.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
Or of Theory.
On sale Theory makes decent slim, minimal basics... at reduction, often a decent low-priced alternative to Jil Sander/Helmut/Prada basics... but at full price, definitely not high on my list.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FormalFashion08
I think the normal Ralph Lauren generates most of the disdain toward RL on here.

Maybe because they charge a lot for the name, but the quality isn't anywhere near Purple Label

Whats "normal" ralph lauren, i really wouldnt consider one of the downgraded Polo brand (with plastic buttons. "lauren" or "chaps" to be normal Ralph Lauren.

If you walk into a Factory Store, boutique and the higher end mall stores like Bloomingdales and Nieman Marcus i think you'll find Polo, Black and Purple label are "normal" Ralph Lauren, and it doesnt get much hate on here.

You'll find some people hate everything from Dolce and Gabbana to Borelli and Kiton and everything inbetween, Just a bit more for the Fashion brands, and mall knock-off brands.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Polo stuff that is well made

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loads of tasty pieces can be found within PL line-up.
Even BL has decent garments every now and then.
It's the mass-produced-around-world-sweat-shops stuff that jams depart. store shelves that tends to be vomit inducing
devil.gif

I recall the quality of Armani Exchange from 15 years back. It may as well have come from another planet
musicboohoo[1].gif

jyook

Reaction score
^Actually I have an AX 3/4 length peacoat from about 12 years back... Indeed it does seem like it's from another planet when compared to the stuff that's been sharted out of there lately...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
On sale Theory makes decent slim, minimal basics... at reduction, often a decent low-priced alternative to Jil Sander/Helmut/Prada basics... but at full price, definitely not high on my list.

Why would you want an alternative to Jil Sander/Helmut/Prada basics in the first place?

Jayhawk1412

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FormalFashion08
American Eagle
Ralph Lauren
Hollister
Aeropostle
A and F
Armani Exchange

All of those brands are deserving of being hated on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads