1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Brand New Ferragamo's got drenched, what to do?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by forseti6, Aug 2, 2010.

1. forseti6

forseti6 Senior member

So I went on an impulse buy and got a pair of Ferragamo Francisco loafers. A friend was having a party so I decided to wear them that night. Little did I know it was going to pour that night. I ran from the subway to the party (about three city blocks) and the shoes got really wet.

When I got home a couple hours later I immediately put shoe trees in them. To my dismay, the leather seems all wrinkled up. How do I get it look back to normal?

IMG00103.jpg

I immediately put some polish on it, but that didn't seem to do much for it.

Any thoughts?

2. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Next time this happens just leave them out in open air to dry out for a couple of days. Don't put any shoes in it until at least after the first day (if they were really drenched).
    Don't put polish on leather until they are completely dry.

Just let your shoes dry out completely. They should be fine.

3. P-K-L

P-K-L Senior member

Also, take a newspaper and put it into the shoes - I have the feeling that it absorbs more of the moisture. As well lay them on the side, from my experience that also helps in the process.

I hope your shoes get well soon!

4. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

"Wrinkled"? I just see creasing. Maybe a bit more creasing than usual, but water doesn't really cause creasing so I expect they would look exactly the same even if they hadn't got wet at all. It doesn't really look too much out of the ordinary. The only shoes you should worry about getting wet are suede pairs.

And putting polish on while they're still wet is the worst thing you can do, it will lock the moisture into the leather and prevent it from drying. If the shoes were brown this could be a recipe for dark spots all over them, though with black shoes you probably won't be able to see where they're wet and where they aren't.