• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brand Name Fire Sales After Xmas!!!

NMW1982

Reaction score
Is it me or are all brands and retailers going to do FIRE SALES after xmas this year? This is a disasterous year for retail and clothing and they will have no choice but to dump the stuff they don't sell after xmas. They will be especially desparate because our economy is going to go into a further tailspin and NO ONE will be buying anything unless it's 70-90% off.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes that is why US Congress urges Americans to save more money; for after X-mass sales...

Orange

Reaction score
full points if you can guess which stores/dept stores are going to lead the sale. It feels like stores are watching their competitors to see discounts to match.

pro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NMW1982
Is it me or are all brands and retailers going to do FIRE SALES after xmas this year? This is a disasterous year for retail and clothing and they will have no choice but to dump the stuff they don't sell after xmas. They will be especially desparate because our economy is going to go into a further tailspin and NO ONE will be buying anything unless it's 70-90% off.

I agree with you. Most stores are going to have plenty of stock to dump after christmas this year more than any previous year we can remember....due to everyone being cautious and having a light christmas this year. Although I don't think this will affect many of the higher-end brands.

NMW1982

Reaction score
Not even high end brands are immune from this global recession. In difficult times like these people do not go out and splurge on excessively expensive clothes.

They will have no choice but to cut prices like mad.

Originally Posted by pro
I agree with you. Most stores are going to have plenty of stock to dump after christmas this year more than any previous year we can remember....due to everyone being cautious and having a light christmas this year. Although I don't think this will affect many of the higher-end brands.

Taxler

Reaction score
Retailers have known for a while that sales would be slow and I recently spoke with several suppliers who say they reduced the quantity and variety of orders much earlier in the year. There are obviously discounts, but the total amount left over may not be much more than typical and the range of styles and sizes may not be that notable.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
Retailers have known for a while that sales would be slow and I recently spoke with several suppliers who say they reduced the quantity and variety of orders much earlier in the year. There are obviously discounts, but the total amount left over may not be much more than typical and the range of styles and sizes may not be that notable.

+1

at least on the electronics side, most retailers are limiting their holiday inventories to a very low level so they don't get burned on the way out. i would imagine apparel retailers doing the same.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
+1

at least on the electronics side, most retailers are limiting their holiday inventories to a very low level so they don't get burned on the way out. i would imagine apparel retailers doing the same.

This is the same for clothing retailers and vendors as well. For example (not a great one), Tommy Bahama has eliminated a lot of 'extra' production on a lot of their items. Slacks that at one point were offered in inseams of 30, 32, 34, 36 and unfinished are now only available in 32'. I am sure there are many other examples.

NMW1982

Reaction score
I used to work in the garment industry and I can tell you that it is not easy to cancel orders of clothes that were placed months back. You can't turn on a dime and decide one day that you will no longer need the clothes that you ordered and return them.

It's true that clothing retailers had a suspicion that business would be slow this season thus they placed fewer orders, but none of them had any idea that it would be THIS SLOW. It is a total disaster out there right now. People are not buying unless they see at least 50% off. After Xmas, I'm sure it'll be 70%-90% off.

Like I said, it will be a fire sale. Literally.

SansNom

Reaction score
Lux is leading the pack....Saks, Bergdorf, and Barney's have all reached 60%.

There's an interesting NYT about it, wherein the quote "60% is the new black" is used
laugh.gif

Link

chrome_dout

Reaction score
I wonder, if a large majority wait until after Xmas to do some shopping, would they end up paying closer to retail vs the ridiculous sales on now? I've heard the same argument about people waiting until March to buy a home as well.

pro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NMW1982
Not even high end brands are immune from this global recession. In difficult times like these people do not go out and splurge on excessively expensive clothes.

They will have no choice but to cut prices like mad.

True, but I still don't think we will be able to pick up a pair of gucci loafers for $100

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm curious to see what the discounts will be after Christmas. The discounts available now seem to be greater than what they usually have been after Christmas.

NMW1982

Reaction score
You may not be able to get Gucci loafers for $100, but you may be able to get them for $150.

70% off will be the norm for all things after Xmas. If they want people to open their pocket books, it'll have to be 80%-90% off.

Look at all the NYTimes articles on how abysmal retail sales have been.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/05/bu...iscount&st=cse

Originally Posted by pro
True, but I still don't think we will be able to pick up a pair of gucci loafers for $100

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads