• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Brand Name Fire Sales After Xmas!!!

NMW1982

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
204
Reaction score
1
Is it me or are all brands and retailers going to do FIRE SALES after xmas this year? This is a disasterous year for retail and clothing and they will have no choice but to dump the stuff they don't sell after xmas. They will be especially desparate because our economy is going to go into a further tailspin and NO ONE will be buying anything unless it's 70-90% off.
 

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
5,360
Reaction score
4
Yes that is why US Congress urges Americans to save more money; for after X-mass sales...
 

Orange

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2008
Messages
333
Reaction score
0
full points if you can guess which stores/dept stores are going to lead the sale. It feels like stores are watching their competitors to see discounts to match.
 

pro

Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2008
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by NMW1982
Is it me or are all brands and retailers going to do FIRE SALES after xmas this year? This is a disasterous year for retail and clothing and they will have no choice but to dump the stuff they don't sell after xmas. They will be especially desparate because our economy is going to go into a further tailspin and NO ONE will be buying anything unless it's 70-90% off.

I agree with you. Most stores are going to have plenty of stock to dump after christmas this year more than any previous year we can remember....due to everyone being cautious and having a light christmas this year. Although I don't think this will affect many of the higher-end brands.
 

NMW1982

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
204
Reaction score
1
Not even high end brands are immune from this global recession. In difficult times like these people do not go out and splurge on excessively expensive clothes.

They will have no choice but to cut prices like mad.

Originally Posted by pro
I agree with you. Most stores are going to have plenty of stock to dump after christmas this year more than any previous year we can remember....due to everyone being cautious and having a light christmas this year. Although I don't think this will affect many of the higher-end brands.
 

Taxler

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2007
Messages
617
Reaction score
3
Retailers have known for a while that sales would be slow and I recently spoke with several suppliers who say they reduced the quantity and variety of orders much earlier in the year. There are obviously discounts, but the total amount left over may not be much more than typical and the range of styles and sizes may not be that notable.
 

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
2,407
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by Taxler
Retailers have known for a while that sales would be slow and I recently spoke with several suppliers who say they reduced the quantity and variety of orders much earlier in the year. There are obviously discounts, but the total amount left over may not be much more than typical and the range of styles and sizes may not be that notable.

+1

at least on the electronics side, most retailers are limiting their holiday inventories to a very low level so they don't get burned on the way out. i would imagine apparel retailers doing the same.
 

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
2,209
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by vitaminc
+1

at least on the electronics side, most retailers are limiting their holiday inventories to a very low level so they don't get burned on the way out. i would imagine apparel retailers doing the same.


This is the same for clothing retailers and vendors as well. For example (not a great one), Tommy Bahama has eliminated a lot of 'extra' production on a lot of their items. Slacks that at one point were offered in inseams of 30, 32, 34, 36 and unfinished are now only available in 32'. I am sure there are many other examples.
 

NMW1982

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
204
Reaction score
1
I used to work in the garment industry and I can tell you that it is not easy to cancel orders of clothes that were placed months back. You can't turn on a dime and decide one day that you will no longer need the clothes that you ordered and return them.

It's true that clothing retailers had a suspicion that business would be slow this season thus they placed fewer orders, but none of them had any idea that it would be THIS SLOW. It is a total disaster out there right now. People are not buying unless they see at least 50% off. After Xmas, I'm sure it'll be 70%-90% off.

Like I said, it will be a fire sale. Literally.
 

SansNom

Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2008
Messages
7
Reaction score
2
Lux is leading the pack....Saks, Bergdorf, and Barney's have all reached 60%.

There's an interesting NYT about it, wherein the quote "60% is the new black" is used


Link
 

chrome_dout

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
495
Reaction score
0
I wonder, if a large majority wait until after Xmas to do some shopping, would they end up paying closer to retail vs the ridiculous sales on now? I've heard the same argument about people waiting until March to buy a home as well.
 

pro

Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2008
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by NMW1982
Not even high end brands are immune from this global recession. In difficult times like these people do not go out and splurge on excessively expensive clothes.

They will have no choice but to cut prices like mad.


True, but I still don't think we will be able to pick up a pair of gucci loafers for $100
 

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
24,367
Reaction score
423
I'm curious to see what the discounts will be after Christmas. The discounts available now seem to be greater than what they usually have been after Christmas.
 

NMW1982

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
204
Reaction score
1
You may not be able to get Gucci loafers for $100, but you may be able to get them for $150.

70% off will be the norm for all things after Xmas. If they want people to open their pocket books, it'll have to be 80%-90% off.

Look at all the NYTimes articles on how abysmal retail sales have been.


http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/05/bu...iscount&st=cse


Originally Posted by pro
True, but I still don't think we will be able to pick up a pair of gucci loafers for $100
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 143 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.5%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 53 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,209
Messages
9,230,330
Members
193,757
Latest member
onsight
Top